Georges river blackfish

hookerbruce

Last year I didn't do too good with blackfish in the Georges. This year seems better.   Fished 2hrs to top of the of the tide and first 2 hrs of runnout. First 20 mins not a touch. Then a few small bites and a couple of 20cm fish. Another 10 mins and the bites were every drift, not a big run of fish but a steady stream put 1 or 2 in the keeper now and again releasing a lot of legal and undersized.  Time to go home pulled in the keeper and found 10 fish, released 3 and took home 7 fish 30 to 33 cm. A very good result. The weed I was using 2-3 weeks old given to me at SW Rocks by fishraider "centrepin " thanks Geoff for the weed, it keeps very well.

20210625_195002.jpg

• Like 10

On 6/26/2021 at 7:39 AM, Yowie said:

A good day out Bruce, plenty for a feed and some sport.

Thanks Dave was good fun on the 2 kg outfit having last of the fillets for tea tonight.  I have a spare rod if you feel the  urge to catch something different.  I have even caught them on handline once. 

On 6/26/2021 at 8:06 AM, masterfisho7 said:

Well done some fine blackfish should have some good eating

Yes good fat fish and nice fillets 

On 6/26/2021 at 9:11 AM, Burger said:

Nice work hb!

30’s fish are sweeet!

I agree the mid 30,s  cook up well my wife won't eat the  big onez

On 6/26/2021 at 9:55 AM, Rebel said:

Great haul. Well done.

Thanks 

23 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Bruce,

Great to hear the weed got put to good use and good to hear you got amongst them this year.

Geoff

Yes the weed is still working well, might have to collect some of my own soon. 

1 hour ago, hookerbruce said:

Thanks Dave was good fun on the 2 kg outfit having last of the fillets for tea tonight.  I have a spare rod if you feel the  urge to catch something different.  I have even caught them on handline once. 

I used to catch them on a 6 pound handline in Lake Illawarra when I was a kid. Squirt worms, or live shrimps caught in the ribbon weed beds. Up to 2 pound, and they fought like crazy.

Went down the river sat morning for 40 minutes to have a fish with my son and grandson Baxter. Baxter did the right thing and scored a 40 cm as reported in another post.

Today I went with 2 other grandsons, they scored a couple of fish but it was my day with a 43cm fish on 2kg. Weighed in at 1.09 kg, equal to the best I've caught in the Georges river.

20210628_190658.jpg

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Thats an excellent fish Bruce and on 2kg would have given you some fun.

Yes I had a few anxious moments luckily there were a couple of other raiders who netted it so saved me losing concentrationon the fight.

Hope this covid clears up quickly, I have an important fishing trip the middle of Aug 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Yes I had a few anxious moments luckily there were a couple of other raiders who netted it so saved me losing concentrationon the fight.

Hope this covid clears up quickly, I have an important fishing trip the middle of Aug 

Yes me to, also I was supposed to leave last night to head NW but no.

10 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Another nice fish, and yes, the middle of August is important. 😃

13 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Went down the river sat morning for 40 minutes to have a fish with my son and grandson Baxter. Baxter did the right thing and scored a 40 cm as reported in another post.

Today I went with 2 other grandsons, they scored a couple of fish but it was my day with a 43cm fish on 2kg. Weighed in at 1.09 kg, equal to the best I've caught in the Georges river.

43cm on 4lb is a good effort, well done HB!

Good onya for taking out the Grandkids too.

1 minute ago, Burger said:

43cm on 4lb is a good effort, well done HB!

Good onya for taking out the Grandkids too.

It's very hard not to take them.

Monday wed fri are our childminding days normally after school but school holidays its all day, if we are in Sydney. Its fishing every day rain hail or shine. They now do the anchor and help with the trailer  good company too

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Thanks 

I have not fished specifically for blackfish for many years, only pick up the occasional one on non-weed bait.