Lake Maq Cobia...

BigHorse

Hey fishraiders, 

I was browsing fishbrain (which is a fishing instagram thing) and saw that a person had caught a cobia around belmont? I thought cobia only stayed up north on the queensland reefs?

Could this photo be fake or do the occasional cobia come down south?

B1C97101-107D-46F6-B843-50CD41D11224.jpeg

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

And I think @Yowie has caught them in Port Hacking.

I have caught 3 small cobia over the years, dropped a bigger one when the hook pulled, and have seen 2 others pulled out as well.

Maybe we should have some ort of cobia comp on lake mac?? never caught one or seen one in lake mac and i live on it at Belmont, that post on Fishbrain does say Belmont Lagoon though, which everyone knows the onl thing you catch in there is the Lochness Monster.

• Thanks 1

I hold the ANSA 2kg record for Cobia.  A little tacker only about 2kg but interestingly caught at Narooma at the entrance to Wagonga Inlet.  This is the furthest south I have heard of them being caught.  Ron 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, campr said:

I hold the ANSA 2kg record for Cobia.  A little tacker only about 2kg but interestingly caught at Narooma at the entrance to Wagonga Inlet.  This is the furthest south I have heard of them being caught.  Ron 

You must have knocked off Kevin Lee’s (I think it was) record, Ron. 😎 I remember he caught one on 2kg while spinning for flathead in Swansea Channel at the annual St George Sportfishing Club flathead day. I watched down on half a dozen cobia chasing baitfish in Pittwater from the grounds of the Newport Arms Hotel while enjoying a work lunch and beer once.