Good fishing spots in Tathra, South Coast NSW

KhalidMSyed

Hello All,

After few months of successful fishing in Durras North, I have now decided to spend some time fishing in Tathra. If you have not seen my fishing reports from Durras North then you can see them here. Tathra seems very interesting because it seems fairly easy to catch Salmon above 50cm from the beach and there are some rocky areas on both ends of Tathra Beach that I have not explored yet. Drone fishing has been extremely difficult on Tathra Beach due very strong undercurrents that cause too much drift when you drone-drop the bait a few hundred meters out. I have caught 3 Salmon on Tathra Beach so far (2 above 50cm) and they were all caught by good old fashion manual casting. I plan to spend at least a few weeks if not months exploring fishing spots in Tathra. Stay tuned for video reports in this thread! Here is my first fishing report from Tathra:

• Like 3

Just around the corner at Merimbula has been fishing well with some hefty kings on the wharf and rocks. Salmon seem to be just about everywhere there are good gutters and plenty of sharks feeding on them.

Be ultra careful as the swell is a killer at the moment.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JonD said:

Just around the corner at Merimbula has been fishing well with some hefty kings on the wharf and rocks. Salmon seem to be just about everywhere there are good gutters and plenty of sharks feeding on them.

Be ultra careful as the swell is a killer at the moment.

Thanks for the update. Will keep Merimbula on my to-do list.

Great report KhalidM’, love the Video. In the vid it looks like you are using a Penn Slammer reel - you’ll need it when you hook onto a big shark off Tathra. It’s been a while since I fished there, but have memories of hooking (and not landing) some big units. I also used to get some good squid around in Kiannini bay, great pipis and beach worms on the main beach there.

7 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report KhalidM’, love the Video. In the vid it looks like you are using a Penn Slammer reel - you’ll need it when you hook onto a big shark off Tathra. It’s been a while since I fished there, but have memories of hooking (and not landing) some big units. I also used to get some good squid around in Kiannini bay, great pipis and beach worms on the main beach there.

Thanks mate.

I am using Penn Defiance II 9500 which is a fairly cheap reel. Though, I managed to land a 95cm Bronze Whaler Shark with it. See video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzH-tJZvjDM

Will keep Kiannini Bay in mind. Thanks.