Black cat

JonD

Just been out in a remote location and spotted a large black cat. Not as big as a leopard but certainly bigger than any feral cat Ive seen (or caught )here, longer than a fox and about the same height. It looked to be in excellent condition and I would estimate around 16-18kg. It stayed in front of me on a trail for around 6 seconds at 20-30m away before heading into the bush where I lost sight of it. The area is a wet low land area in dense bush where I often see small swamp wallabies which I would imagine it hunts in this area. Im now charging my trail camera and will try to bait it to the camera (hopefully) if it uses this area regularly. 

• Like 6

Need to terminate those sort of animals. Similar ones have been seen out in the bush from Penrith/Windsor areas.

They are just killing machines (just eating to survive) but need to be removed from the bush.

Have travelled through the outback in various places, and heard the feral cats calling out. Just could not see them, hiding in rocky locations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, puddlejumper said:

Maybe an extremely rare birth of a fox with black fur pigments?

No defiantly cat, I was pretty close to it and been lucky enough to see many species around the world. I even used to do the big cat photos for a local wildlife park. 

The camera is set, took my daughter this afternoon who is next level in terms in hunting and tracking, she found tracks and scats with bones, hair and teeth etc.  10c next to the tracks.

482468641_IMG_43772.thumb.jpg.e51c28a28181bdb9e0298dfc43a7ac1a.jpg

1489687127_IMG_43752.thumb.jpg.a7d4bec7f4ae2179b0fe6084a3e59505.jpg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, JonD said:

No defiantly cat, I was pretty close to it and been lucky enough to see many species around the world. I even used to do the big cat photos for a local wildlife park. 

The camera is set, took my daughter this afternoon who is next level in terms in hunting and tracking, she found tracks and scats with bones, hair and teeth etc.  10c next to the tracks.

482468641_IMG_43772.thumb.jpg.e51c28a28181bdb9e0298dfc43a7ac1a.jpg

1489687127_IMG_43752.thumb.jpg.a7d4bec7f4ae2179b0fe6084a3e59505.jpg

That is not a normal tomcat or feral cat print. The next size up, nearing a panther size print.

• Like 1

Ive seen a fair few feral cats but never at this size or such a solid build and always been tabby coloured. I contacted a local mountain bike group as I have seen they have trail cameras on some of the tracks used in the area for counting cyclists and though they have not seen any on camera, however one of the club members saw a large black cat in that area recently.

I had a post on Facebook which Ive had to remove as it soon caused issues with those who like fluffy pets over native wildlife. Its in state forrest, there are numerous rules and regs regarding cats depending on where they are found but surprisingly large influential groups don't want them harmed. If I get chance I will love it to death!!!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JonD said:

I had a post on Facebook which Ive had to remove as it soon caused issues with those who like fluffy pets over native wildlife. Its in state forrest, there are numerous rules and regs regarding cats depending on where they are found but surprisingly large influential groups don't want them harmed. If I get chance I will love it to death!!!!   🤣

Some years ago I spoke to a few cops and prison officers, that live and work out west of Penrith, and they have told me about the big black cats in the bush areas. 

The size of a leopard. After doing a bit of reading, large black cats can be leopards, jaguars, pumas, lynx and similar sized critters, their genes changing the colouring of the fur.

• Like 2

I've never heard of the yank servicemen theory before only the escaped animals from bullens animal world one .I grew up in Sydney and remember going there plenty  of times  as a kid I done a few days work in the area last year and it was cool to be working in lion lane ,tiger street good memories