Pandemic Boat insurance consideration - Lay Up Cover

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

My boat insurance was due for renewal. As I was finalising my review of the policy I remembered there was a LAY UP option, so I called in and had them run a few scenarios. They offer 5% off the policy premium for each month of layup (max 6mths). Given we are in Lockdown and unable to use the boat for Sept and most likely October, I nominated both of those months for now and saved 10%.  I can call in and nominate additional months or pay a small amount for the months I take off lay up if the restrictions ease.

Anyway, just thought that I'd share. No point paying for insurance that we can't use.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey Raiders,

My boat insurance was due for renewal. As I was finalising my review of the policy I remembered there was a LAY UP option, so I called in and had them run a few scenarios. They offer 5% off the policy premium for each month of layup (max 6mths). Given we are in Lockdown and unable to use the boat for Sept and most likely October, I nominated both of those months for now and saved 10%.  I can call in and nominate additional months or pay a small amount for the months I take off lay up if the restrictions ease.

Anyway, just thought that I'd share. No point paying for insurance that we can't use.

Cheers Zoran

Thanks for the info mate.It would be great if the same applies to boat/trailer rego,fishing/boat license too as that's all getting wasted for many too.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Thanks for the info mate.It would be great if the same applies to boat/trailer rego,fishing/boat license too as that's all getting wasted for many too.

Excellent point Fab. Are you going to contact Service NSW ?

cheers Zoran 

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Last year one of my licenses I have was extended by the duration of the lockdown because access was denied under the provision of the license so it will be interesting to see if they will do it again?

I think there could be many similar things this premise could be applied to on an individual basis by LGA.

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Excellent point Fab. Are you going to contact Service NSW ?

cheers Zoran 

Probably not as I get 😡😡😡 and will go in there and wring someone's neck. 😂😂😂

You still need insurance though even if its not being used. Or don't boats get stolen, catch fire, or have any other kind of damage when they are not on the water ? My concern is more to have my boat insured when its not being used and parked up outside at home.

8 minutes ago, JonD said:

You still need insurance though even if its not being used. Or don't boats get stolen, catch fire, or have any other kind of damage when they are not on the water ? My concern is more to have my boat insured when its not being used and parked up outside at home.

That’s exactly what Lay Up Cover provides at a lower rate as the boat is not being used on water or towed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

That’s exactly what Lay Up Cover provides at a lower rate as the boat is not being used on water or towed. 

Are you sure ? When I asked Club marine they told me it wasn't covered at home during any lay up period and it would have to go on my home contents insurance if I had that. I have since dropped them as an insurer after my third knock back in 20yrs with them, again they told me to try my home and contents after trying to make a claim.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:36 PM, Fab1 said:

Probably not as I get 😡😡😡 and will go in there and wring someone's neck. 😂😂😂

Fair enough.... so I have contacted my local MP ... my request is in the works for whatever its worth.

Here's the email I sent ... (you can cut and paste sections as you see fit if you want to send similar):

Dear Hon. Ray Williams,
There is much the government can do for us that obey the rules and are double jabbed, to help ease the COVID impact.  In Greater Sydney as you know we are in our 9th week of lockdown and likely to be in such until Nov-Dec, so that’s nearly 3-4 months out of 12. All of us in lockdown have had our recreation activities affected. Many of us have not been able to use our boats or caravans but have paid all annual fees. I have tried without success to connect with Service NSW to check if there will be any consideration given for the fees we have paid for Caravan, Boat and Trailer regos, and for boat and fishing licenses. These are annual fees that are useless during lockdown. Maybe the ones that have been double vaxxed can be offered a license fee rebate as an incentive? 
Lets get everyone jabbed and out of lockdown. 
Keep up the good fight.
I look forward to your reply.
With Regards,  Zoran

image.png.05dc7437def0ce0b27891bd875122044.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Fair enough.... so I have contacted my local MP ... my request is in the works for whatever its worth.

Here's the email I sent ... (you can cut and paste sections as you see fit if you want to send similar):

Dear Hon. Ray Williams,
There is much the government can do for us that obey the rules and are double jabbed, to help ease the COVID impact.  In Greater Sydney as you know we are in our 9th week of lockdown and likely to be in such until Nov-Dec, so that’s nearly 3-4 months out of 12. All of us in lockdown have had our recreation activities affected. Many of us have not been able to use our boats or caravans but have paid all annual fees. I have tried without success to connect with Service NSW to check if there will be any consideration given for the fees we have paid for Caravan, Boat and Trailer regos, and for boat and fishing licenses. These are annual fees that are useless during lockdown. Maybe the ones that have been double vaxxed can be offered a license fee rebate as an incentive? 
Lets get everyone jabbed and out of lockdown. 
Keep up the good fight.
I look forward to your reply.
With Regards,  Zoran

image.png.05dc7437def0ce0b27891bd875122044.png

Let's see what happens.I certainly wont be holding my breath.Stranger things have happened. Good luck and let us all know what they write back.

39 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Let's see what happens.I certainly wont be holding my breath.Stranger things have happened. Good luck and let us all know what they write back.

Well one thing is certain... if you don't try ... you have failed already!

Cheers Zoran