First EP, Cooks River

Mike Sydney

Hello all, 

Lockdown has been a tough period for fishing the last couple of months, and I’ve been trying to get to grips with the upper reaches of the Cooks River from Earlwood to Campsie in the evening before curfew. 

Things started well with plenty of bites, at the cost a million more snags.  Early on in the lockdown when I first really focused on the Cooks, I hooked up to something enormous which shredded off my 6lb with ease. Hoping it was a Jewfish I went up to a 10lb leader for a bit of security - and then had a good month of no bites from anything.

I was a month in and fishless! I’d tried it all - soft plastics, weedless, surface, blades, crankbaits , crabs - and nothing was happening.  I gave up on looking for bigger fish and went back to 6lb a couple weeks ago, and the bites returned immediately with some small bream and flathead catches. 

Fishing lighter leader made a real difference, but this evening it was put to the test by my first ever EP. It was as expected hanging around under the  Illawarra Rd bridge, and fought wonderfully - long hard peels to start with and some violent head shakes. It seemed like it would never run of stamina, but finally it was on land and all those nights of donuts were all worth it as it measured out at 42cm. 

It went for a Double Clutch, which I was only fishing at this snaggy hellhole as it was Father’s Day and the wife got me a a shop voucher, so why not roll the dice.

Good luck out there everyone00043688-4F11-4BDD-8468-7D7D4B0E4465.thumb.jpeg.b02c2d66481ec811950e08cd41784d09.jpeg

• Like 14

Well done mate, I used to always fish heavier gear but couldn't catch anything... Know I get why people used to call me a poor fisherman. But ever since I started using lighter gearf the fish have come in more and frequent numbers. Good job on the EP.

• Like 1

Good story with a happy ending. I love the double clutch but they are a bit exxy so I'm wary of using them in snaggy country.

yeah I enjoy using the lighter line for casting and fishing the small lures and it makes for a challenge when you get a better fish!

A 42" EP is very decent size!

• Like 1

Thanks all! 

The fishing gods must be smiling on me as I got another one this evening! 

Unlike last night’s fight, this was short and sweet with little resistance. Strange how they can fight so differently under the same conditions around the same structure - I had thought this was a small bream at first.7ECF82FF-478D-4076-A9B2-F55CE456A1B6.thumb.jpeg.679ca01149c8a6cd7b1ab720ae6725eb.jpeg

This fish firmly in the tenth or so “one last cast” window before heading home :) 

• Like 2

Thanks! The last couple of weeks the Cooks has come alive . I ended up with five EP and a couple of decent flathead (40/50cm) this week. 

Had a tough time releasing one of the flathead - after taking the lure out, it flopped in between some rocks on the shore and though she clearly wasn’t stuck I couldn’t pick her up at all, with her head determined to stay in the rocks. 

After about a minute it came free and I released it. Looking between the rocks there was a little tree root - I think it chomped down on it to stop me dragging her out. Clever girl ! 
F0D084A9-C7CD-413C-B7F6-5806D1C491C7.thumb.jpeg.188f285fbe1cf9cdc06028f1437695b2.jpegD343F868-988F-4CE9-8EEE-72051AFD722D.thumb.jpeg.08a385f35677061351edfd3641f8b195.jpeg

Edited by Mike Sydney

I thought I would try to emulate your success last Sunday.  I kayak fished from 10am - 2pm with high tide around midday.  I did not get a single bite, let alone any fish!  I tried Zman Grubz, Slimswimz, crankbaits, blade, plastic vibe, popper & Sugapen among the mangroves.  No mojo.