Port Hacking (again) Topwater

skullyboy05

Over the weekend i've spent a bit of time in the yak where in my stretch was quite windy. The bite was consistent over my combined 5 hours fishing, mostly almost or just legal whiting taking a Jackson Pygmy popper in yellow. Fortunately though I got a new PB for surface whiting so my efforts in less than ideal conditions were rewarded. I kept my two legals and both were cooked in the pan with lemon and butter.

Through the week I picked up a new Shimano Vangard 2500 paired up to a Zodias UL 1-3kg 7ft rod. The new combo is a dream compared to my other stuff.

It was always my thoughts that topwater fishing shut down particularly in southerly winds, however the popper seemed to work better. Maybe something in that? I started off using an Ebi-panic but couldn't get a follow. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

All up

3 x Small Bream 20-25cm

6 x Whiting 25-27(ish)cm

1 x Whiting 28cm

1 x Whiting 34.5cm

Photos to come.

• Like 8

Good going for this time of year on the surface.

You'll find a popper will outfish stickbaits when the wind is strong and the waves are whitecapping on the flats because of the extra splash/noise a popper makes. Stickbaits just don't create enough commotion to attract a whiting's attention.

Your new outfit sounds nice too.

Great report Skullyboy. Whiting will take a surface popper much more aggressively when there is wind chop and unsettled water than when it is still and flat. If you are in water shallow enough to “kick up some sand” with your paddle or if stalk g the flats, you might be surprised the effect it has to get the whiting even more stirred up. I don’t have the mobility to do this now (motor cycle accident), but have great memories of stalking whiting on the sand flats. The other thing that really gets them going in flat conditions is pumping nippers on the flats and dropping one on a light line over the edges to deeper water where the sand is being carried over - acts like a burley effect (watch out you don’t step on stingrays though).

keep those reports coming.