South West Arm short and very sweet.

Isaac Ct

Hi Raiders,

Went out to try a new spot in the South West Arm before school. Launch at Yowie Bay at 6:15 and headed to a new spot in the arm. Tried for some leatherjackets but only managed a couple of small bream, tarwhine and snapper, as well as some pretty decent sweep. Then moved up about 100m and burleyed up with old dog food and breadcrumbs, didn't take long before we started to get a couple of snapper. As I was fishing light I use a long leader and small sinker, had a really nice hit and missed it. Drop another bait right in the same spot and BANG! Hit well and started to run around the front of the boat, initial thoughts were a salmon or kingfish, then once it started to stay low maybe a big flattie. We pulled the anchor and had to chase after it because there is only half a spool of line on my reel and the fish had swum from one bank to the other side. Tail thumps and dead weight, has to be a trev. Using the angle of the rod, I slowly started to gain line on the fish but every time it would just run off. Adjusting the drag looser when the fish ran and tighter when winding can help to tire a fish down. Dilema one, there was someone else's fishing line wrapped around my line now. Dilema 2, we brought no net. After approximately of 25 minutes of paddling after the fish and adjusting the drag we have colour. An absolute thumping trevally. After a couple of rounds around the boat I decided to tail grip the fish. Got 'im. measured in at 55cm and an estimate 2-2.3kg. Released to fight another day and breed more of these fantastic fish.Resized_20211005_075813_5507.thumb.jpeg.e93d1a5e2e2aef19e4c3b7bae2b618e9.jpeg

Cheers Isaac CT.

• Like 11

40 minutes ago, Sea Ranger said:

Really nice Trev there.  Good work!

Thanks mate.

31 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Cracker of a Trevally and good on you for letting him go. 

Always happy to let the big ones go, way more of a chance that they are going to breed more fish for us to enjoy.

25 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Well done, that is a belter!

Thanks mate

10 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Well done.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Larkin said:

Stepping it up every time you go out. 👍 

Great fighting fish on light gear

Thanks mate, I hope next time 'stepping it up' means a jewie or a nice reddie. But I guess I will just have to wait.