Water Current/Temperature Snapper Theories

jenk98

Hi Raiders,

I was just wondering if anybody has any theories on water temperatures and current snapper fishing.

1. Do you find fluctuations in water temp can change how the fish are feeding and what locations they are hanging out.

2. What are your preferences in current direction and speed 

Love to hear where you're from as well, especially you NSW guys.

Cheers 🍻 

Snapper are bit of a funny fish, big seas will see them right in close, eating crabs and other odds and ends washed off the rocks, very early morning (pre dawn) can see them in quite shallow, as the sun breaks, they move deeper. Best consistent catches will be during the warmer months, anchored on the edge of reef and sand/rubble, in about 20-25m of water, moderate current needing about a pea sized sinker to get down and a little burley, (pieces of what you are using for bait), this should see you catch a decent feed of medium sized fish, with maybe the odd bigger one thrown in.

• Like 2

Different spots vary  i have marks at broughton that fish well in downhill current  southerly direction  whilst other spots 800 mtrs away only work in uphill  most of my shallow spots need at least some current  or your wasting your time n bait   as for temp  i catch reds every month of the year at broughton  certain spots fish better in certain months  but that comes down to over 40 yrs of working it out  then you turn up with  wind an current perfect right tide  just on dark and cant lose a bait   start thinkin again

6 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Different spots vary  i have marks at broughton that fish well in downhill current  southerly direction  whilst other spots 800 mtrs away only work in uphill  most of my shallow spots need at least some current  or your wasting your time n bait   as for temp  i catch reds every month of the year at broughton  certain spots fish better in certain months  but that comes down to over 40 yrs of working it out  then you turn up with  wind an current perfect right tide  just on dark and cant lose a bait   start thinkin again

Thanks for that mate, really appreciate it.. I'm a long way from 40 years experience but I've definitely noticed there's a correlation between current direction and speed for different spots! That's the part about fishing that's good but, everytime you go out you learn something new 

cheers mate 🍻

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

August  16 deg   and november    19 deg

20180413_172625-1.jpg

20180413_170447.jpg

Here's a few we've caught from April to now, hopefully get a few bigger fish on the board soon 🤞🏼 How are you going since we aren't able to get to Broughton at the moment?

D6928F3A-1B5E-4C91-8D9F-7B91BC27EA09.jpeg

BBA432DE-75FB-4517-95AD-E6978BAD78D3.jpeg

BD36BF93-9836-4E20-8599-C36E7BD02AAB.jpeg

353C60B3-FE59-492C-B387-46C9EF7E69E9.jpeg

8F506631-7820-44E5-B36E-1D0CEDE79055.jpeg

C40689DA-8FDC-463B-87E7-FD056CFC0322.jpeg

B6DE1638-4E5D-4B96-85D5-FF611DEA72F5.jpeg

4B4ADE48-4F0B-461E-8799-CA2F0E7BFE6A.jpeg

I find the current direction dictates where you fish, rather than the fish not being there (if you get what I mean) for me, most big fish tend to be "loners" (or a pair) as distinct from warmer water schooling fish, there's a few spots I fish (and have done for decades) that never produce big Snapper (bigger than 5kg) but you will catch plenty of legal ones, other places have few smaller, but now and then, a big one or two, mainly during the colder months, my biggest (12.2kg) was from just such a spot. All this of course is just touching on anchored bait fishing, drifting and lures is another topic altogether.

• Like 1

Just to kind of wander off a bit and add something about certain spots, I have a "secret" small spot in just over 60m of water, I have fished it for more than 20 years, and very few Snapper caught there on bait, but, metal jigs are the gun method, why?? beats me, but bait fishing will get you small Nannies and maybe a Mowie or two.

4 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just to kind of wander off a bit and add something about certain spots, I have a "secret" small spot in just over 60m of water, I have fished it for more than 20 years, and very few Snapper caught there on bait, but, metal jigs are the gun method, why?? beats me, but bait fishing will get you small Nannies and maybe a Mowie or two.

Very interesting hey, thanks for your replies mate.. great to hear from some like minded people 👌🏼