Windy night in Balmain

Mike Sydney

The T20 cricket World Cup final kicked off at 1am this morning , and being an avid cricket fan - and a kiwi - I was always going to be watching the game. I decided there was exactly zero chance of me getting out of bed for an alarm and thought I’d instead do an all-nighter and keep myself up with an evening’s fishing.

Of course, the weather did everything possible to stop me. A 40-50kmh westerly and some lightning presence had me poring over Google earth to find somewhere sheltered from the gale and one eye on the storm - which behaved nicely in the end, with lightning in the blue mountains but nothing over Sydney proper until well off the eastern shores. 

I started out at Balmain Ferry wharf and used the wind to bomb some 4” plastics long for some slow rolls back looking for flathead or trevally. Nothing doing for the first hour or so, and it was tough going with angles fairly limited by the strong winds. I took a break and grabbed a couple of books from the community library on site at the wharf. 

The wind began to ease off slightly and I paid a visit to a park I’d seen on Google Earth that I’d always intended to fish when the time was right. I arrived at Ewenton Park intending just to scout it, but with the wind easing and time to kill the rod came out of the car. 

I tied on a minnow and fanned out a few speculative casts. The water was a lot shallower than I was expecting even at that low stage of the tide and I had too pull the plastic out of some weed snags with each cast.

Suddenly a bunch of baitfish are being stirred up very close to shore and so I cast past it and brought the plastic back through with some fast, distressed hops. I was delighted when the culprit chomped down on my lure and hauled a flathead out up the wall. 

It’s always a joy catching at a spot for the first time and while it wasn’t a monster it gave me enough adrenaline to stay awake and watch my kiwis get smacked around the park. 

Asleep at 5am and awake again 7am by the stampede that is my three kids getting ready for school. Naive in the extreme, I took a days holiday today in order to sleep in. My three year old comes in and shakes me awake to show me her glittery shoes. The one year old comes and pulls my duvet off, pushes his finger up my nose and gives my eye a loving scratch. My wife pops her head in and reminds me to mow the lawn.

Reluctantly I’ve accepted it’s daytime again and I’m up and about. The cricket lost, the sleep deprived but a catch in the night has me a happy chap.

Enjoy your day and congrats to “you Aussies” on the cricket.

974B16F9-9230-43CA-9354-C790CAD4DA59.thumb.jpeg.4ceb5b444aaa2167f8671b758b5eb7c3.jpegDAD59307-1324-4E58-8ADF-B9991ABB87BD.thumb.jpeg.db7c41a1ec89ee4115b2ce60ba82e00e.jpeg

• Like 14

Great report Mike, I particularly love how you hustled up some time to go fishing when balancing work and parenting (and cricket!) responsibilities.

It's certainly fun when you find something hunting and get the chance to discover what it is. Who would've known? Flatties chasing fish near the surface! I guess we shouldn't be surprised, knowing the success some fishos have had targeting them on the surface.

Hopefully you're getting some good catchup sleep now.

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 1

Great effort Mike (on the fishing).

I was up following the cricket also - we did you good & proper, but going to be a loooong time till we get on top in the rugby (even bringing back the veterans - Cooper & O’Connor and still can’t beat the all blacks)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

The T20 cricket World Cup final kicked off at 1am this morning , and being an avid cricket fan - and a kiwi - I was always going to be watching the game. I decided there was exactly zero chance of me getting out of bed for an alarm and thought I’d instead do an all-nighter and keep myself up with an evening’s fishing.

Of course, the weather did everything possible to stop me. A 40-50kmh westerly and some lightning presence had me poring over Google earth to find somewhere sheltered from the gale and one eye on the storm - which behaved nicely in the end, with lightning in the blue mountains but nothing over Sydney proper until well off the eastern shores. 

I started out at Balmain Ferry wharf and used the wind to bomb some 4” plastics long for some slow rolls back looking for flathead or trevally. Nothing doing for the first hour or so, and it was tough going with angles fairly limited by the strong winds. I took a break and grabbed a couple of books from the community library on site at the wharf. 

The wind began to ease off slightly and I paid a visit to a park I’d seen on Google Earth that I’d always intended to fish when the time was right. I arrived at Ewenton Park intending just to scout it, but with the wind easing and time to kill the rod came out of the car. 

I tied on a minnow and fanned out a few speculative casts. The water was a lot shallower than I was expecting even at that low stage of the tide and I had too pull the plastic out of some weed snags with each cast.

Suddenly a bunch of baitfish are being stirred up very close to shore and so I cast past it and brought the plastic back through with some fast, distressed hops. I was delighted when the culprit chomped down on my lure and hauled a flathead out up the wall. 

It’s always a joy catching at a spot for the first time and while it wasn’t a monster it gave me enough adrenaline to stay awake and watch my kiwis get smacked around the park. 

Asleep at 5am and awake again 7am by the stampede that is my three kids getting ready for school. Naive in the extreme, I took a days holiday today in order to sleep in. My three year old comes in and shakes me awake to show me her glittery shoes. The one year old comes and pulls my duvet off, pushes his finger up my nose and gives my eye a loving scratch. My wife pops her head in and reminds me to mow the lawn.

Reluctantly I’ve accepted it’s daytime again and I’m up and about. The cricket lost, the sleep deprived but a catch in the night has me a happy chap.

Enjoy your day and congrats to “you Aussies” on the cricket.

974B16F9-9230-43CA-9354-C790CAD4DA59.thumb.jpeg.4ceb5b444aaa2167f8671b758b5eb7c3.jpegDAD59307-1324-4E58-8ADF-B9991ABB87BD.thumb.jpeg.db7c41a1ec89ee4115b2ce60ba82e00e.jpeg

im a local, and i can there u that spot holds flatty, and try fish high tide, garfish and mullet during summer, kingie also come by now and then along with good size tailor

12 hours ago, papafish said:

im a local, and i can there u that spot holds flatty, and try fish high tide, garfish and mullet during summer, kingie also come by now and then along with good size tailor

Yeah I can believe it. I presume there’s no fishing near the police boats and we have just that front stretch available right ?

Gear that night was Abu Garcia Rayrex  w/ Vanford 2500 , 6lb braid and 6lb leader. I would usually have had a 10lb leader on chasing flathead but was too lazy to retie from a prior session.

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great effort Mike (on the fishing).

I was up following the cricket also - we did you good & proper, but going to be a loooong time till we get on top in the rugby (even bringing back the veterans - Cooper & O’Connor and still can’t beat the all blacks)

I became a dual citizen earlier this year when I got my Australian citizenship. Supporting the Aussie cricket team however is Advanced Australianism….I’m a few years off that yet! 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Flatties chasing fish near the surface! I guess we shouldn't be surprised, knowing the success some fishos have had targeting them on the surface

I see this quite a bit when fishing at night. It’s great seeing them cruising around rather than buried.

Beyond that there have been several times where I have seen them swimming in pairs together hunting the shallows. I’m not sure how common a sight that is but it makes sense to me given we know they’re often clumped together when buried in the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

Supporting the Aussie cricket team however is Advanced Australianism….I’m a few years off that yet! 🤭

On that note, I can tell you what might happen. I have a few migrant friends who start off barracking for the motherland. Then before they can think about switching allegiances, their kids start barracking for the Aussies and the parents decide they are going to dig their heels in and keep supporting their original team. I guess the heckling keeps the conversation interesting over the dinner table 🤣

• Haha 1

Top report Mike. You will always be proud of your heritage, but gradually you will probably embrace the idea of being Aussie more, especially with the kids happy to be where they are. Sydney has so much fishing opportunity to offer the keen angler and you will enjoy the challenges of trying different spots at varying tides. Look forward to your next report.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, motiondave said:

@Mike Sydney Chur, Bro,,,,

, good job on the catch, I had a look at that spot ages ago, but didnt get the chance to toss a line out.

Id say , stay well away from the water rats boats in regards to fishing lines. Just fish where you were.

if you wish to try another spot, give Colgate Reserve in Balmain a go as well, can be productive on lures and bait.

I can’t believe I missed your Chur Bro! Thank you and chur chur to you too!

Colgate reserve - is that the one with the giant anchor looking over at the ferries ?

@masterfisho7 I do most of my fishing at night, and most everywhere looks better than during the day. Ewenton Park was a really tranquil fishing spot at night and a pleasure. 

A couple other night pics here from other sessions, Blackwattle Bay and Rose Bay. FD34D545-E4CB-491F-83C4-BFD88A0ED527.thumb.jpeg.5348b19d4663822c94d2323489a8e633.jpeg

C50119BE-918F-4BF4-9AAB-F04B8558F8FA.thumb.jpeg.63a6a0e09994c6bb61da81a5d14608a3.jpeg

@motiondave yeah thanks I have fished there once, and did have to duck under that low bridge to get up to that corner. I got a little whiting there one day after @DerekD had recommended it, it is a nice spot.