Canvas/Fabric Waterproofing

JustJames

Hi All

My boat has a custom cover.  The fabric seems hale, hearty and strong, but leaks like a sieve.

Does anybody have experience of using brush on (or similarly applied) waterproofing treatments?  Googling turns up a few, and of course they all claim to be fantastic, so I am interested in real world eperiences.

You could try this stuff available at Bunnings- can’t vouch for it as I have never used it .

Or try Nans tarps at lidcombe they may be able to advise on a better product , also places that sell caravans and camper vans or parts for them .

Also as it is just a silicone spray you could try the stuff they put on tyres like tyre shine- it is just silicone spray and you can buy it cheap from places like supacheap .

Your boat shouldn’t fill with water as you should be leaving the bungs out and Jack the front ( Bow ) up so it is higher than the rear (transom)and the water will drain out through the bung holes .

FD7C53AA-03AC-4D5F-8D76-86E183F43EAF.jpeg.ae2272823a6a97a9e728bb25606f9b1c.jpeg

• Like 1

I too would doubt that you could find a waterproof sealing agent that would work, plus I personally  wouldn`t

like to put anything like that on my custom boat cover as you never know what it will do to it.

I would suggest leaving the bungs out, tilt the boat as high as possible using the jockey wheel and if possible cover the boat with a poly tarp. 

Thanks for the responses so far.  Keep 'em coming.

There is water in the boat that the amount of slope (with the jockey wheelfully extended) and poition of the bung hole does not allow to drain.

The shape of the boat and construction of the cover is such that there are no places where water pools in the cover. 

Have you been in the boat under the cover when it’s raining? It seems you are getting so much water that I doubt it’s seeping through the canvas, it’s  more likely the water is being channeled and running into the hull in some places - probably where the cover folds across a gunnel or around something. 

A picture would help !

You may want to place a block of wood or a brick under the jockey wheel to get more angle and help drain the water. 

14 hours ago, yella king said:

I personally  wouldn`t

like to put anything like that on my custom boat cover as you never know what it will do to it.

I have used products like that on very expensive ski jackets, pants and even hiking boots. These products do work to help repel moisture. They dry clear and penetrate/coat the individual fibres to prevent them holding moisture. They don’t bridge across the fibres to create a skin coating - it’s not paint like. 

cheers Zoran 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 10:52 AM, JustJames said:

Hi All

My boat has a custom cover.  The fabric seems hale, hearty and strong, but leaks like a sieve.

Does anybody have experience of using brush on (or similarly applied) waterproofing treatments?  Googling turns up a few, and of course they all claim to be fantastic, so I am interested in real world eperiences.

My custom cover made from Sunbrella (or similar, can’t remember) material is about 6 years old. 

D75FC35E-9778-4494-AB45-6E58D3C3D27A.thumb.jpeg.a310a3507c3a1b5a0efe7de5983ed3b0.jpeg

Has lost some of repelling feature but water runs off and very very little if any gets inside. 

the bloke who made it recommends 303 Fabric Guard, but this gets a little expensive for the amount you (I) would need. 

https://www.automegastore.com.au/303-fabric-guard-for-marine-fabrics-473ml?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJeNBhCVARIsANJUJ2EhzS7ZT3yE2_78v7j-DetfuyhA8qBAtvwuRNN8dCK50AeGSf9W8ssaAjL9EALw_wcB

I’m still looking for a suitable product to do mine. 

let me know if you find something.