Donut number 50 😂

Rummers

Hey Raiders, 

Got an early mark from work and weather was good so I decided to give the Jew another go. 
Headed out a few hours before the tide and managed to pick up 2 whiting and a herring to put into the bait tank. Water was like chocolate and was hard picking through the undersized bream who were full of courage under cover! 
pulled up to my regular spot at middle island and dropped a whiting and the herring down. Herring didn’t last long and died on the hook so the other whiting went down. 
then a hit and the first whiting was cut in half, I’m suspecting tailor! 
Unfortunatly not much action after that and I left home again empty handed. 

my questions are;

Is whiting a suitable bait when I can’t get some yakkas or slimys quickly? 

and I am fishing up on this ledge (marked with the x) mainly, should I be here or try and get into the deeper water off the ledge?
I am struggling to really know exactly where to be and if the fish just come past or I’ve got to sound them up.

Thanks! I’m feeling closer but still so very far from a Jew and any/all advice is appreciated. 

F9BF411A-8C24-40EA-A387-02A15A4502E1.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rummers said:

I think whiting would be a great bait for big jew.

In SA and VIC people use whiting frames for big snapper, so i'm sure it will be fine!

Though i would like my whiting on my dinner plate! 😅

23 minutes ago, BigHorse said:

I think whiting would be a great bait for big jew.

In SA and VIC people use whiting frames for big snapper, so i'm sure it will be fine!

Though i would like my whiting on my dinner plate! 😅

So would my missus. She gets dirty when I tell her I use them as bait

• Haha 1

As long as the Whiting are Legal size they would be a wounded fish in the eyes a Mulloway ready to be picked off.

I've caught Jew on conventional live baits as well as Sweep, Maori Wrasse and found Toadfish in their stomach so it would be better to have a live bait in the water as well as a couple of dead "Known baits".

More options gives you a better chance.

• Like 2

I've had more luck catching jews in rivers more then bays and larger body's of water, looking at google maps, you should try karuah river, find some deep ledges and try them out or the mouth of the river. not sure how deep the river is though.

even if the bank drops sharply into 6m of water, that would be plenty to drift baits along as jew would probably cruise along those steeper deep banks

Edited by Restyle
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Restyle said:

I've had more luck catching jews in rivers more then bays and larger body's of water, looking at google maps, you should try karuah river, find some deep ledges and try them out or the mouth of the river. not sure how deep the river is though.

Heard that big jew can be caught around the bridge at karuah. it goes down to 10m there i think so some nice big holes there for some jew.

• Thanks 1

One thing about jewies, is that they are on the move all the time, until they find a school of baitfish. They will pick off what they can, then eventually move along again.

Sometimes it a just a bit of luck that one will cruise past where you are fishing. Jewies swim down near the bottom most of the time, however, in periods of low light or night time, they move upwards, and I have caught the odd one or two just under the surface when tailor fishing up river.

Don't know the area, and assume the measurement you have is in feet. You could try the deeper hole and see how it goes.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blackfish said:

As long as the Whiting are Legal size they would be a wounded fish in the eyes a Mulloway ready to be picked off.

Good to hear! I only use trumpeter whiting for live bait as they are pretty readily available. 

2 hours ago, Restyle said:

even if the bank drops sharply into 6m of water, that would be plenty to drift baits along as jew would probably cruise along those steeper deep banks

I hear ya! Karuah looks the goods. I however want to master (even if only slightly) this spot first as I know Jew are regularly caught there and once I know what I’m doing start to explore other areas. Otherwise I rekon I’ll not know what works etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Restyle said:

That location is actually a known jew spot because of the gutters & holes made by the tidal current

Actually even Scratchie mentioned he fished it not long ago in a report but no fish taken on that occassion

21 hours ago, Rummers said:

Hey Raiders, 

Got an early mark from work and weather was good so I decided to give the Jew another go. 
Headed out a few hours before the tide and managed to pick up 2 whiting and a herring to put into the bait tank. Water was like chocolate and was hard picking through the undersized bream who were full of courage under cover! 
pulled up to my regular spot at middle island and dropped a whiting and the herring down. Herring didn’t last long and died on the hook so the other whiting went down. 
then a hit and the first whiting was cut in half, I’m suspecting tailor! 
Unfortunatly not much action after that and I left home again empty handed. 

my questions are;

and I am fishing up on this ledge (marked with the x) mainly, should I be here or try and get into the deeper water off the ledge?
I am struggling to really know exactly where to be and if the fish just come past or I’ve got to sound them up.

Thanks! I’m feeling closer but still so very far from a Jew and any/all advice is appreciated. 

F9BF411A-8C24-40EA-A387-02A15A4502E1.png

It is a tricky spot because of the tides.

The amount of water that rushes either side of that island is huge as the tide get into full swing so Id really only fish there a short period before & as the tide turns.

There is also a big hole on the eastern side of that island that again the current forms.

I remember when I was a kid the next door neighbour pulled a very large tuna out of the same hole & I have a picture of it somewhere.

I also recall as a kid fishing in the same spot(eastern hole) with the old man & he caught a Taylor & as I lent over to grab & bring it into the boat a 2+mtr shark was following it to the boat. Scared the s**t out of me!

There is all sorts on that bay.......great whites, have even seen a penguin swimming up the breakwall once looking for a feed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1