Port Hacking

corro

Until last week had been a long time between a fish for Dad and I. In our first attempt back last week we managed only 2 flathead in Botany Bay. 

Tried the Hacking yesterday instead which proved to be the right decision. Yowie was kind enough to leave us all some fish. Couldn't tempt any flathead on the flats which seemed unusually quiet - maybe the rain, maybe we're just not very good!

After giving up drifting we found a decent hole and managed a good haul of trevally in a variety of sizes from one just over legal to one closer to 50 - at least from memory, tend to only measure the smaller ones! There were some bigger ones in the school that we couldn't tempt. We fished unweighted prawns into a a sizeable berley trail. They are fantastic fighters trevally, pulled hard enough to cut the line into my delicate office worker hands.

When the school moved on I transitioned to blind casting metal slugs which resulted in one tailor and one bust off, I first hooked up but was then bitten off at the swivel. Potentially another fish in the school that the shiny swivel looked like a bait fish? Surprised it hasn't happened more often, will try to move away from the shiny brass ones to black.

Managed to hook but drop a couple of decent fish (thinking kings given the style of fight) near Lili Pili one to a 2 inch grub style soft plastic the other to a fish strip bait. At least promising signs of a good summer to come!

We gave a few to the neighbors, had some sashimi yesterday, fish soup with the frames and will finish the rest tonight / tomorrow.413639929_PXL_20211130_0312205372.thumb.jpg.1461e96ed792ff9d40c7f5bcdaa7f356.jpg

Edited by corro
  • Like 7

Nice bag of fish.

2 things with a tailor bite off -

Another tailor may have grabbed the lure and bitten you off. It does happen. I have caught 2 tailor on 2 ganged hooks and one bait.

When tailor fight, they sometimes zig-zag during the fight, biting at the lure in their mouth which I imagine would be annoying. I have observed tailor at close range doing this, and had lures and hooks bitten off as they suddenly change direction and the line moves into the mouth, by accident, and those sharp teeth just fray the line.

2 hours ago, corro said:

Until last week had been a long time between a fish for Dad and I. In our first attempt back last week we managed only 2 flathead in Botany Bay. 

Tried the Hacking yesterday instead which proved to be the right decision. Yowie was kind enough to leave us all some fish. 

We gave a few to the neighbours, had some sashimi yesterday, fish soup with the frames and will finish the rest tonight / tomorrow.

Nice work Corro, the bay has been pretty average of late so good move, think I might have to do the same thing next time out for something different.

Sounds like you & the neighbours got a good feed out of your day :thumbup:

Feel free to put some of your favourite recipes in the kitchen 🙂

On 12/4/2021 at 4:31 PM, ilkfish said:

Hi Corro, thats a top catch of trevally. Good to see u put in the effort of berlying. 

Did the trevally come on the bite during the early morning, or was it later in the day.

They came on the bite in the morning, a couple of hours after the high tide around 9-10am.