What age to take kids offshore

GoingFishing

Hey Sam, 

Been there many times. If they are asking and ready then take them. 
However, start with little trips offshore and test their sea legs.
You also need to be experienced yourself at offshore fishing (which you are) and knowing the conditions. 
I often take the 3 youngest and collect bait which is always fun and then just spend some time trolling. 
That’s where I’d start anyway! 
Have fun 🤩 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 1:38 AM, Scratchie said:

Hey Sam, 

Been there many times. If they are asking and ready then take them. 
However, start with little trips offshore and test their sea legs.
You also need to be experienced yourself at offshore fishing (which you are) and knowing the conditions. 
I often take the 3 youngest and collect bait which is always fun and then just spend some time trolling. 
That’s where I’d start anyway! 
Have fun 🤩 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks for the advice Scratchie. Makes sense

Hi to me it's not just about if they can handle the conditions it's also keeping them amused  saying that I wouldn't have taken mine offshore when  they were young I just wouldn't risk their safety.m

My wife and daughters hate boating/fishing so now I get to spend quality alone time 

I started fishing about 5 old - look what's happened to me now.  🤪  :074:

My 3 brothers, all younger, do not fish, though one of them did many years ago. I learnt from my father and grandfather, and from my great grandfather for a few years.

My grandsons (3 and 4 old) like to fish, about 1 minute if there is nothing biting, as they are standing on the shore or sandbank somewhere and become easily distracted.

Pumping nippers keeps them amused for a little while.

As for off-shore, a calm day may be okay, however, bouncy waves can appear on any day and there is the risk of youngsters falling over hitting their head or face on something hard as they are not mentally programmed for sudden and irregular movements of a lurching boat.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 2

Hi, I take my 7 year old fishing around the inshore reefs out from Port Hacking in a 5.2m cuddy cab boat. All my kids have been in boats since they were old enough to fit a life jacket.

I tried taking my 5 and 7 year old together but managing them both was too much and felt unsafe.

Pick your day and pick your target species, I have found bottom bashing in 20m+ water tires him out too quickly and some fish pull too hard (kingfish) but anchored over shallow reef fishing into a burley trail is great. I set up some rods specifically for him to use and he loves the variety of different species he can capture. 

His favorite so far was a big Sergeant Baker he caught drifting over Osborne shoal, turns out they taste similar to whiting just hard to fillet around the bones.

Another day near the bombie we hit a school of surface fish where for 2 hours straight he caught fish after fish until he was too tired to fight any more fish. Mixture of bonito, Mack tuna, rat kings and a rainbow runner.

A suitable boat, good conditions, a bit of experience and a kid who is comfortable in boats and I think inshore ocean fishing with kids is fine.

Ash

20210406_082816_copy_1152x864.jpg

20210415_071927_copy_1024x768.jpg

• Like 2

My kids were days old n out in a boat,,just gotta go easy n make sure they dont get knocked around,,memory foam lined fishbox with a pillow in the bottom works a treat,,once theyre a bit bigger the old jolly jumper hung off the rocket launcher works wonders n by the time theyre 2 or 3 theyre sittin in a seat n holdin on,,my middle son was drivin for me when leadlining kings at 3 year old,,saves payin a decky lol

Edited by Ex pro