Burrill lake camping and fishing trip

papafish

Like I said before, headed over to burille lake. Didn’t have much luck with beach fishing, didn’t have a clue wtf We were doing, so we hit the rocks, did pretty well. Plenty of grouper around, had to up the game to 100lb line😂. They were tough. 40lb lines couldn’t hold them back especially when they dive for cover. Here’s a few snap shoots.  While I’m not fishing I was back at the camp wharf baiting up and showing little kids how to to fish.

great little trip but the weather kinda spoiled a little.

0092BB9F-13F1-4A6F-A501-78D9CC7A0E2F.jpeg

D671AA22-9A29-4877-B88A-4116B4AD81D2.jpeg

A6266A74-3096-40B2-A516-3E371D74DF47.jpeg

• Like 5

Got to love the pulling power (and eating quality) of groper (big scales though eh). I’ll keep big red rock cod / scorpion fish too, as they are equally as good eating, but having been spiked once, I’m really careful with them as the pain was excruciating 

Great to spend time at campsites sharing with others - especially those who want to get started, but don’t have much idea - good on you. (I’ve been doing the same at Patonga camping area). I’ve met a few ‘Raiders this holiday period at the cleaning tables / ramps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Theres always that one person with the jealous eye hey.............

Pretty sure his report said "we"....implying thag there's more than one person fishing.

Not being a jealous eye, but making sure that fellow Raiders are aware of certain limits. Fishraider can be viewed by non members, who cannot comment on the forum, but make adverse comments on social media sites.

Yes, it is a nice catch of groper, and as Noel stated, groper are best skinned before cooking as the skin is tough and can cause the fillets to warp/buckle during cooking and cook unevenly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Why are the tails trimmed off? Far better to skin a Groper, you just about need an axe to cut the skin when cooked!

Them scales/ skin are tough to take off, and hard to cut. Pour Hot boiling water over the fish skin will make it a lot easier to come off, but make sure you cook it straight after,

we have 4 families so we managed to finish it

2 hours ago, papafish said:

Thanks for the clarification, some would say you should never kept a blue as well😂

Yes, I have kept and eaten a blue in the past, but rated it as an average eating fish.

A nice catch of fish to keep you all well fed.

Edited by Yowie

18 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Yes, I have kept and eaten a blue in the past, but rated it as an average eating fish.

A nice catch of fish to keep you all well fed.

With woolies and most shop closed, nothing better then a fresh catch😊

4 hours ago, papafish said:

Them scales/ skin are tough to take off, and hard to cut. Pour Hot boiling water over the fish skin will make it a lot easier to come off, but make sure you cook it straight after,

we have 4 families so we managed to finish it

They are easy to skin, just lay the fillet down, flesh side up, make a small cut in the flesh down to the skin near the tail, grab that piece and pull the skin, keeping the knife angled towards the skin, but you pull the skin over the knife, rather than "cutting" the skin off, it's hard to describe, but very simple to do. In the "old days" people would scale them with pliers, one scale at a time. They are only OK eating at best, very bland, no taste at all, but, the flesh is nice and white, the bones are huge (and blue) great fish for kids!

9 hours ago, Yowie said:

Not being a jealous eye, but making sure that fellow Raiders are aware of certain limits. Fishraider can be viewed by non members, who cannot comment on the forum, but make adverse comments on social media sites.

Yes, it is a nice catch of groper, and as Noel stated, groper are best skinned before cooking as the skin is tough and can cause the fillets to warp/buckle during cooking and cook unevenly.

Thanks @Yowie good point there