Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to Bate Bay. Tried a drift in water around 200 feet, but not a bite. Headed towards Kurnell into slightly shallower water and picked up the flatties. A couple of throwbacks, and not many spikey flatties either. Drift not too fast. 

Pulled up a couple of slimey macks, so decided to have a try closer to Kurnell with slimey strips for something different. Pulled up a few reddies, only one legal, a few small reef species, and the goatfish. I assume it is a Black Spot Goatfish, if someone can please clarify that.

I also pulled up 2 mowies, bigger one over 40cm, and while I was unhooking them, they both jumped back overboard. Strange. 🤣

Plenty of slimies in schools on the surface. I threw a metal lure around and under them, hoping for something larger to be hanging around the schools, but only managed to hook more slimies. A pod of dolphins cruised through, looked like they were feeding on the slimies.

Many boats out today, taking advantage of the better weather.

fish.jpeg.334_files_files.jpg

• Like 7

We went south today from the Hacking Yowie and there was heaps of Slimies and Yellowtail on the Surface. Caught a few Slimies on small metals for bait. And yes I recon its a Black Spot Goatfish.

Bet you thought it was a real shame those Movies fell back in. 😄

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

We went south today from the Hacking Yowie and there was heaps of Slimies and Yellowtail on the Surface. Caught a few Slimies on small metals for bait. And yes I recon its a Black Spot Goatfish.

Bet you thought it was a real shame those Movies fell back in. 😄

Plenty of baitfish about, water temp is rising, could be a good summer for some bigger stuff outside.

Mowies put up a fight, probably why they were still energetic enough to jump back in. 🤣

2 hours ago, Jiggy said:

Mmmmm mowies...🤢🤮

Mowies.  🤪

2 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Nice bag of fish Yowie. How are the goatfish on the table

it is so long since I have eaten a goatfish, I cannot remember, and those were only small ones I caught as a teenager.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Well done. Good haul again.

How are the jet skis ?

Cheers.

Thank you. Jet skis even speeding about outside. :1taz:

1 hour ago, Scooter0069 said:

Nice mix bag thanks for the report 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Wise Yowie ....avoiding the Hacking today, good catch and it might be time to leave the water to the cowboys for a few days:)

Yes Rob, the worst time to be fishing up river. A lot of boats outside as well, many moving between the Hacking and Botany Bay.