Prawning in myall lakes 9/1/22

BigHorse

Hi all haven’t been out fishing lately but the other night we went out prawning with one of my dads friends to myall lakes for some drag prawning. The night magical with glassy but murky water. the water was unusually warm which was weird. ( not pee ) we started our first run as soon as the sun set and finished up at 11. We had one person in the beach cooking while my dad and I dragged the nets in the water. For my first time prawning it was a fun and awesome adventure. We ended up with 13kg of prawns. They weren’t big ones but still where good eating. Thanks for reading!:thumbup:063AA39F-F807-48AA-A41C-D731BE299218.jpeg.a98cf6ba6c758b64b9b6d76b22b6d3c3.jpeg05471D33-A540-4958-B103-1D996656B5E4.jpeg.9cbf02dcc8d5f1fe4292ce606069a275.jpegD1646422-8367-430D-91F1-9DA302833DD8.jpeg.3212570f49f9b6336dbdc3c720879646.jpeg

• Like 6

Well done Big Horse - now you’ve been “blooded” on prawning, you’ll be keen to get out on the next new moon🙂.

Did you put any out unweighted as a live bait - I’ve had a lot of luck doing this for Jewies and flathead. 
Did you get any by-catch (Squid, gurnards, flathead)

7 hours ago, papafish said:

Care to share which part of the lake holds prawns?👌maybe for the end of the year trip

I won’t say an exact spot as my dads mate has asked to keep a secret but I will say all along mungo at the bottom of the lake are waist deep water perfect for wading with the drag net. If you are looking to go later in the year I would say start booking as all the camp sites where packed. Good luck 👍

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Well done Big Horse - now you’ve been “blooded” on prawning, you’ll be keen to get out on the next new moon🙂.

Did you put any out unweighted as a live bait - I’ve had a lot of luck doing this for Jewies and flathead. 
Did you get any by-catch (Squid, gurnards, flathead)

I have been bitten and spiked by prawning and am already looking out for the next new moon. 
I didn’t put out a prawn as I’ve read the fishing is not that good around mungo. But while we pawning we caught heaps of small baitfish and 1 small garfish. You’ve got to watch out as apparently a small fish that is common  bycatch is quite u and if you get spiked you won’t feel to good for the next couple of days. Thanks for the response. 👍