Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to fish in Gunnamatta Bay. Anchored on the edge of the sand bank and threw out into the deeper water with fish strips and pillies. Caught nothing, however, I had half a dozen cooked school prawns left over from last night, so peeled them and threw into the shallow water over the sand bank behind me for the bream.

While I was anchored, a surge of water blasted past, pulled out one of the anchors until it sunk back into the sand and all bites just stopped. Have had tide surges before in Gunnamatta, but nothing close to this.

Packed up and headed to Maianbar flats and pumped some nippers, the tide was past the halfway run-up. Still a bit of current and a lot of kelp and other weed flowing along. The current slowed and I pulled out the whiting over the flats. After I had been there a while, the current picked up quickly and the water rose 2 or 3 inches in a very short time, so I hopped back into the boat. The current slowed as quickly as it started up and no drift at all.

Back home to mums place in Gunnamatta Bay on the top of the tide, put the boat away and the tide was dropping as I cleaned the fish. The water started rising quickly, easily 6 inches, when it was should have been dropping, and after a few minutes it dropped back to it's previous level. The 3 tide surges happened over 3 hours or so.

These tide surges more than likely attributed to the tsunami out around Tonga.

While I was cleaning the fish, I threw the fish frames into the water and hooked up a few scrap pieces from the fillets and threw it near the frames. The larger bream grabbed the bait and took me around the neighbour's pilon before it was landed. A solid fish at just over 2 pound.

fish.jpeg.338_files_files.jpg

fish.jpeg.339_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, Restyle said:

nice bag and good effort this morning. Quite interesting what's happening with the water fluctuations days after the eruption.

Thank you. 

Up into Gunnamatta Bay, there are sometimes very small waves after a large swell is running outside, and the bigger waves can produce great surfing as the waves run right up to Maianbar through the entrance of the Hacking.

The water flucuations today are something I have not seen before. 3 times while I was on the water and more than likely much more has been happening since the tsunami was generated by the underwater volcanic eruption. Such an eruption has now been classified as a 1-in-1000 year event.

35 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great haul again.

Nice bream.

Well done.

Thank you. Happy with a couple of feeds.

Well done again Dave, a really nice bag there. There have been similar surges in the Hawkesbury and unusually big tidal difference. I reckon it is the Tsunami effect (don’t laugh, one of my degrees is in Earth Sciences - Geomorphology)

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Well done again Dave, a really nice bag there. There have been similar surges in the Hawkesbury and unusually big tidal difference. I reckon it is the Tsunami effect (don’t laugh, one of my degrees is in Earth Sciences - Geomorphology)

Thanks Bob. When you spend a lot of time on the water, in the water, on the land, you become more adept at what is happening in nature, AND, how to catch fish.  😂

2 hours ago, leonardgid said:

another good bag of  choice fish , 

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Couple of good feeds there. Well done.

You’ll sometimes see the local surf club members catching those “hacking waves” in their row boats

Thank you.

Surf boats, surf boards, standup paddleboards. It would be a long ride for a body surfer. 

Very interesting report and another really great bag of fish your knowledge of the Hacking must come from many years of fishing it I really like reading your reports and learning about the Hacking as I am new to the area keep up the great reports

Thanks

8 hours ago, Scooter0069 said:

Very interesting report and another really great bag of fish your knowledge of the Hacking must come from many years of fishing it I really like reading your reports and learning about the Hacking as I am new to the area keep up the great reports

Thanks

Thank you. I started fishing the Hacking more than 60 years ago, so have learnt a few things.

Fantastic catch @Yowie.

The water movements sound freaky where you were in the Port. Thankfully there weren't any such movements when I was at Narrabeen on Sunday - we had several kids with us and while they were all water-safe, you just never know. I just had a feeling that the run-in was far stronger and longer than it usually was.

Great Report Yowie. Whiting have to be one of my favourite eating fish. 

It was interesting after the tsunami, as I live close to Parramatta River at Meadowbank and the BOM issued warnings of pending rising tides and water levels. Luckly tho that didnt happen and I didnt see any mahor change in tidal levels.

Dan

7 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Fantastic catch @Yowie.

The water movements sound freaky where you were in the Port. Thankfully there weren't any such movements when I was at Narrabeen on Sunday - we had several kids with us and while they were all water-safe, you just never know. I just had a feeling that the run-in was far stronger and longer than it usually was.

Thank you. 

I cannot remember seeing the water behave like that before, especially when the tide was dropping and the level came up 6 inches in a very short time.

7 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

A great assortment of fish.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Solid feed as usual Yowie and very interesting observations on the tidal surge!

Love the biggest bream coming from the ramp!

Couple of nice feeds.

Certainly unusual water rises.

After the bream swam around the pilon, I suspected that the line would be frayed, so I grabbed it (no net handy) and lifted it out.

2 hours ago, Dan1979 said:

Great Report Yowie. Whiting have to be one of my favourite eating fish. 

It was interesting after the tsunami, as I live close to Parramatta River at Meadowbank and the BOM issued warnings of pending rising tides and water levels. Luckly tho that didnt happen and I didnt see any mahor change in tidal levels.

Dan

Whiting certainly are a favourite.

Even though the volcanic eruption was a long way off the coast, it shows how far waves will travel through an ocean. Same with cyclones, though they are a constant movement, as compared to a one off explosion from a volcano or underwater tectonic plate movement.