Rainy morning at Hunters Hill

Little_Flatty

Weather was awful this morning, but I just had to have a fish. My local waters don't seem to fish so well after a bit of rain, so I thought I would go downstream and find deeper and more saline water.

Put on the raincoat and headed out to Pulpit Point to explore some new territory. I've fished here a bit before, mainly hanging about the front of the point in case a school of kings came by (so far I've landed exactly 0 fish out of 1 hookups). But I always had half an eye on shoreline surrounding the marina area and wanted to explore this. I was dead sure that there would be a few bream about and I was out to test this theory.

The wind was really up quite high so I needed a lot of weight to get down the water column, especially given the deeper water. I ended up using a 1/6oz jighead, which is a brick by my usual standards.

It took quite a few casts to get my first hit. It was a fairly substantial fish, and it tore a bit of line off my reel (6lb braid, 8lb leader). However, just as I saw a flash of silver, the hook pulled. Probably a decent bream, but I'll never know.

Cast around for a few more hits, which didn't connect.

Further around in the bay, get a hit and finally hook into a fish. What did you think it was? Deep-ish water, lots of mussels, good structure around? It would be a bream right?

No! It was a flathead!

image.png.d281747e14b95c2cff086e78a4ebc417.png

It went 40.5cm (I take 5mm off as this ruler isn't quite spot on). After a measure and a pic, I sent it back on its way.

Just to prove it wasn't a fluke, I hooked another flatty on the next cast, but dropped it at my feet. Never mind, no size to it so I wouldn't have measured it anyway.

I was freezing cold, wet, hankering for a coffee and needed to get ready for work, so I called it a day and went home.

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Better than nothing, it is always going to be a struggle to land a kingie on flattie and bream gear. Good stuff.

Certainly is tricky. The last time I saw them, they were feeding on tiny baitfish and weren't interested in bigger lures. The only things they were interested in were tiny 2 inch minnows that I could only cast on bream gear. I only had a 6lb leader tied on and didn't have time to re-rig. The bottom in this spot is covered in oyster-encrusted rocks. And the rest was history. But...it was fun :D Since then I have occasionally brought a bream rod with a 20lb leader tied on, but alas, I haven't had them come within casting distance again.

30 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Great job - great report. Hate that feeling of being wet and cold, but great when your home and warm. I wish I had $10 for every fish I’ve “dropped” over the years.

For sure! Even though the coffee was terrible (made by yours truly), it sure tasted fantastic! I'd believe you've lost a few fish in your time - in fishing, the numbers of successes one experiences is correlated with the number of failures. I was just grateful that I got a hit from something that pulled drag! :D 

22 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Nice fish, never been down there to fish but it would be amazing if there was public access to the marina type thing ( where all the boats are) to walk around and get a bit of depth and distance but I obviously see why they don’t want it to get trashed.

It certainly would be, but there's plenty of structure to work around even without getting onto the marina. You got to have an explore with your gear once you've recovered. I wouldn't mind one of those waterfront apartments, or one of the sport fishing boats moored there...that would be the life!

15 minutes ago, masterfisho7 said:

That.s a top Flathead well done

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Good work again. Experience is gained by fishing, in different weather situations,  rather than sitting at home.

For sure. I've been fishing solidly almost every morning for two months and observed a couple of lunar/tide cycles. Interesting what you notice when you do that. Started to see a bit of consistency in the way certain spots fished.

I almost rolled over and slept in this morning, but I'm glad I didn't!

10 minutes ago, motiondave said:

nice job, I drive past there often when Im boating and always see people fishing from there, I had looked at it a whileback as a possible land spot, but the parking was the issue.
Id say some big stuff floats past there, judging by some boats anchored up nearby. 
If you are actually going to try Hunters Hill, have you given the wharf a go? usually an hour before top of tide, then run out tide. Try hanging a burley bucket down on run out tide. Its not the worlds best spot, but good for a bait line out and some lures tossed about

Pulpit Point is apparently also known for Jewies.

I'm assuming you are talking about Valentia St wharf? I tried it decades ago, should pay it a visit again sometime.

Edited by Little_Flatty

12 minutes ago, motiondave said:

actually mean Alexandria Street Wharf. It can be good for putting poddy traps down on the left before the wharf on incoming tide.
Id say you are getting the right idea, and yes, you will find a pattern, but somedays a wild card is thrown in and you get a good day on the worst possible everything..
I kept notes for a while when I went fishing, tides, times, moon cycles, weather baits, so when I went back to that spot, I could compare notes.

check out Greenwich and Northwood wharves as well.

Thanks, the flats there do look good.

I've had my share of wildcard days for sure.

That's a nice little flattie and at least you didn't have a donut, though a real one would have gone well with the coffee. At least you were rewarded for sticking it out in the rain and wind.

I have one of those fish measuring boards/troughs for the kayak and if you want to improve your photos, highlight the numbers with a permanent marker to make them easier to see.

20160203-3-02-16  fish 6.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob81 said:

Wow a complex XR, nice reel. First time I've seem or known about one here.

I bought 2 of these Shimano reels direct from Japan. They are basically a Stradic Ci4 (so parts are available here) with an extra bearing under the spool, similar to a Sustain. When the AU dollar was good they worked out almost half the price of a Ci4 here.

Both have shallow spools so I can load them with braid without needing any backing.

It really is a shame we don't see more of Shimano's range here in Australia.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I bought 2 of these Shimano reels direct from Japan. They are basically a Stradic Ci4 (so parts are available here) with an extra bearing under the spool, similar to a Sustain. When the AU dollar was good they worked out almost half the price of a Ci4 here.

Both have shallow spools so I can load them with braid without needing any backing.

It really is a shame we don't see more of Shimano's range here in Australia.

Yeah they're nice reels, I was looking at them and the Soare some time ago, but ended up going Soare Ci4+ in the smallest size.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 7:48 AM, Green Hornet said:

That's a nice little flattie and at least you didn't have a donut, though a real one would have gone well with the coffee. At least you were rewarded for sticking it out in the rain and wind.

I have one of those fish measuring boards/troughs for the kayak and if you want to improve your photos, highlight the numbers with a permanent marker to make them easier to see.

20160203-3-02-16  fish 6.jpg

Thanks, I got round to doing this last night. Future photos will more clearly show the fish size!

• Like 1