Out of Port

Larkin

Gday raiders,

headed out this morning just outside of port hacking.

Sounded some bait to try for kings, but all I could catch was sweep (25cm) - they would beat the yakkas to the hook. Only caught one xlarge yakka that went in the bait tank, Although Did end up catching an x-small rat on my bait rod while trying for yakkas.

5BF3C96D-0E66-40CF-AF39-93E25D28E33B.jpeg.e704ee2281d3b2319e7fe99db74af4ce.jpeg

trolled the yakka for a while for no takers so decided to go reef fishing in a new spot I had wanted to try.

Landed a pair of Pannies - caught on small slimy mackerel strip baits.

then another small rat - a little larger than the last - again on a mackerel strip bait

B283423B-6169-466F-A131-23C1E6A312A7.jpeg.814237a7c35459abb67dbc9e08ad4c6e.jpeg

Decided to put a large salted yakka fillet on 2 snelled hooks in case something big was around - about 10mins later the rod bent over and started screaming. Wasn’t sure what it was - After a hard 10m fight landed a 1.3m whaler. Brought it along side and cut free.

Called it a day - heading back threw out a small pink skirt for a Bonnie 

4671727D-3CBD-4B5B-9040-2ED60700685D.jpeg.22a014b5db45201d3b6d4fa8dcaf96e0.jpeg

had a bit of fun and took 3 fish home for the plate

BA7AD02E-12C7-4ED3-835A-D9BB4E438D1E.jpeg.390bd1d2b06534284a448cf8ab2048db.jpeg

• Like 10

Well done on getting a feed.

I was in the white cuddy cab fishing with my little boy at the Bombie near you. We caught nothing good, but my little boy had a blast catching Sweep, X-large yellowtail, slimeys and rat kings (some looked smaller than the yellowtail) out of the burley trail. I had some bigger baits out but only a Bonito wanted to play.

There was heaps of bait schools to the north of the reef area and we got our live bait size yellowtail from there, not that it helped. I fished a livey all around the bait schools and bombie for no takers.

Did see a 1.5m ish shark swim past the boat which gave the 8 year old a bit of excitement.

Ash

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Nice catch 😁

Thanks mate

15 hours ago, Yowie said:

Something for the table, and a bit of sport on the small kings and a toothy critter.

Thanks yowie,

Surprised it didn’t bite me off - but lately started using circle hooks on my larger baits and snelling 2 close to each other - hooked in the corner of the mouth.

14 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done on your catch 

Cheers masterfisho!

13 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work, a few fillets and plenty of action!

Thanks rob, haven’t had snapper for a while - good for a change.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Better than nothing, still a nice feed.

Thanks Isaac. Was a good day out.

4 hours ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

Well done on getting a feed.

I was in the white cuddy cab fishing with my little boy at the Bombie near you. We caught nothing good, but my little boy had a blast catching Sweep, X-large yellowtail, slimeys and rat kings (some looked smaller than the yellowtail) out of the burley trail. I had some bigger baits out but only a Bonito wanted to play.

There was heaps of bait schools to the north of the reef area and we got our live bait size yellowtail from there, not that it helped. I fished a livey all around the bait schools and bombie for no takers.

Did see a 1.5m ish shark swim past the boat which gave the 8 year old a bit of excitement.

Ash

Hi Ash,

👍👍

those sweep were relentless - pulled out half a dozen off my bait line.

I saw you over from me, thought to myself you must also be getting plagued by them.

after the tolling, I headed in closer to the cliffs for the pinkies

A few sharks cruise around there - the big one I saw months back was 500m off the bommie on the ocean side - cruising over the patch of reef there. The dorsal was 25cm out of the water, and dark grey - couldn’t see the body but must of been around 3m going off the size of the dorsal. A few weeks back they scared off a white shark near jibbon point - was on the news.