Outboard height

Fab1

Fab. Flimsy transom ? The very reason I asked for a photo of the inside of the transom which you provided, and plain to see that the whole system needs to be strengthened.There is a compromise between over kill and flimsy and something in between needs to happen with your boat.

Frank

• Like 2

Fab. At this point I would normally suggest you bring the boat to me and leave it with me for a week or so.

BUT unfortunately my world has fallen apart the past week.

My compute blew up  and I am now working with an old lap top, which is very frustrating as it won't work with my printer so I can't print anything.

I bought another vehicle from the auction shop and I can't print the receipt so I can get a unregistered vehicles permit from Services NSW . and that means I can't go and pick the vehicle up as it was sold unregistered .

Everything seems to be going wrong for me this past week.

I need someone who knows computers to visit me .

Frank

6 minutes ago, frankS said:

Fab. At this point I would normally suggest you bring the boat to me and leave it with me for a week or so.

My compute blew up  and I am now working with an old lap top, which is very frustrating as it won't work with my printer so I can't print anything.

I bought another vehicle from the auction shop and I can't print the receipt so I can get a unregistered vehicles permit from Services NSW . and that means I can't go and pick the vehicle up as it was sold unregistered .

Frank

Hi Frank, unfortunately some older operating systems wont work with newer printers & vice versa. 

Surely you can just produce the receipt on your phone without printing it, along with photo ID?? 

Or email/send this to services NSW??

There are more options these day on paperless transfers.

Just a suggestion to ask them. 

5 hours ago, frankS said:

See William at LB Computers at North Strathfield, fast service and very cheap. My 80yr old mother took her Mac there after Geeks 2 you said $400 to fix and William had it sorted and only cost $70.

Also I’m only down the road at Silverwater if you want me to print the receipt, you can email it to me and I’ll drop it off.

Edited by jeffb5.8

12 hours ago, frankS said:

Frank

All good mate.I'll leave it as it is.Thanks for the offer and I hope you get everything sorted.

12 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

See William at LB Computers at North Strathfield, fast service and very cheap. My 80yr old mother took her Mac there after Geeks 2 you said $400 to fix and William had it sorted and only cost $70.

Also I’m only down the road at Silverwater if you want me to print the receipt, you can email it to me and I’ll drop it off.

Jeff. thanks mate for the offer. I have since sorted the printer issue, computer thought it was printing to another printer I had installed when comp was new. I deleted that printer and installed my current one and now working fine.

Sorry Fab1 for off topic chit chat.

Frank

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Jeff. thanks mate for the offer. I have since sorted the printer issue, computer thought it was printing to another printer I had installed when comp was new. I deleted that printer and installed my current one and now working fine.

Sorry Fab1 for off topic chit chat.

Frank

No problem at all mate.Hope the boys help get you sorted.

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, Fab1 said:

I may be wrong but it's my understanding that the cavitation plate should be level with the bottom of the hull?

It's just dawned on me mines lower than the hull by 3 inches.

Should I raise my outboard? I would of thought the dills would of mounted it correctly.

20220203_134408.jpg

This seems to be a common issue with Yamaha outboards, I've just come across it myself, it appears most the smaller Yamahas are quite a bit longer than the standard 20" which most boats seem to be designed for.. 

I've been using a Stacer 380 SeaSpite with a Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke long shaft, both purchased new in 2005, the dealer recommended a 25mm/1" transom spacer, the buyer had a spacer welded in... 

The boat seems to handle ok unloaded and loaded up heavy, in very fast flowing turbulent rivers it feels like it's getting yanked around by the motor a bit but I figured that may be quite normal, (I'm not that experienced)..  Top speed is around 37 km/h, 20 knots... The only real issue I've noticed is the fuel consumption seems quite high, I've read a review of a similar setup and they claimed around 4 NM/L (7.4km/L), I'm only getting about 2.6 NM/L (4.8km/l), that's quite a difference... The review with the fuel usage figures>  https://www.northsidemarine.com.au/images/Yamaha/Yamaha-15F-Review-Trade-a-Boat-Magazine-Nov-2015.pdf ... The motor is basically brand-new, it only had 11 hours on it before I started using it, and I've put 32 hours on it in recent weeks, 470km ... 

After reading this thread I checked the motor height, it seemed to be about 40mm low:

1869305253_LevelP3231574.thumb.jpg.a29867dc117182bfda51e4398a0c30c1.jpg

Investigating the issue I've found the Yamaha specs list the transom height for the motor as 567 mm (22.3 in), and using Archive.org to check the Stacer website from 2005 I found they paired this boat with a Mariner/Mercury 15hp LS which has a transom height of 508mm (20")... So even with the 25mm (1") spacer welded to the transom the Yamaha is still around 34mm (1.3") lower than Stacer intended... 

Measure.thumb.jpg.3c24d08e064b985f0d8095c6c33d0edd.jpg

Still not convinced it was that much of an issue I searched through my video footage and checked how it looks in the water... I'm certainly no expert but the amount of water being churned up appears excessive, I figure this may explain the fuel consumption issue: Leg-Water.thumb.jpg.0416b139ab7d2f78127e885074d4eea2.jpg

The screenshot isn't too good so here's a vid:

I can add in a 20mm spacer very easily so I'm going to start there, if that goes ok and doesn't introduce any issues I'll look at raising it more... My main interest is to get the fuel consumption down a bit...

I notice the current Yamaha 4-strokes are longer than the standard 20" also. 567mm, 22.2" ... and Yamaha seem to happily throw them on boats and flog them off hanging VERY low >> https://www.mandurahboatshop.com.au/listing/stacer-379-seasprite#lg=1&slide=1

Thanks to the OP and the resident experts, this thread has been very informative :) 

Edited by Flickit

• 6 months later...

Round 2.I’m a sucker for punishment.5E16DDB4-8EEC-4292-A6FA-DF65CC486BDD.thumb.jpeg.01008f67737a9d1f6aac91bea356b6a2.jpegMade this for my mate that wants to raise his tiller steer outboard.7652FC13-110D-4F32-9FBA-FD4FBCDF4BE1.jpeg.5e369c31f31c28c0ea194fa3dbf700de.jpegMaking this for me to test my motor at 4” higher so cav plate is level with bottom of boat.Found a local bloke to weld transom but I want to test various heights first.

This one will clamp on using existing outboard mounting holes.If this ends up in the drink it means so has my transom and outboard.😂😂

• Like 1

Hi guys, what do you think about this kind of hull and cavitation plate position? There is a keel running at the bottom (blue, end is welded down at the end of the transom). And above this initial keel another is welded on it which is open at the end and doesn’t run until the transom (red). I try to figure out what would be the best height of the cavitation plate. The boat is a flat hull jonboat 17 feet, with a Suzuki DF20AL.

06EC18AA-7627-4898-8F23-62FA3FF14315.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...