Outboard height

Fab1

Just now, noelm said:

Sorry, motors are measured in 5" increments 15" short shaft, 20" standard long shaft, 25" extra long and 30" ultra long, why 5" is anyone's guess. Transom sure looks like a long shaft by the tape. You might have to just raise it so the bolts are at the minimum safe distance from the top and put up with it?

To raise it I'll need to weld in a 3 inch ally box section and re-drill new mounting holes.Probably plug old holes as raising outboard they become redundant.

Alloy hulls are different to a glass hull, that little keel does cause problems at times, but they are nearly all made that way, it might be time for a test run and look over the back to see how deep the foil is, then raise the motor as much as you can without any mods and test again to see if it improves at all before doing major surgery, you may not need the full 3".

Edited by noelm

2 minutes ago, noelm said:

Alloy hulls are different to a glass hull, that little keel does cause problems at times, but they are nearly all made that way, it might be time for a test run and look over the back to see how deep the foil is, then raise the motor as much as you can without any mods and test again to see if it improves at all before doing major surgery, you may not need the full 3".

My thoughts too.But I'm not prepared to unbolt the motor and rely solely on those useless clamps to stop the outboard from taking a swim to test the theory.I'll either leave it how it is or get say a 2inch square tubing welded in from the get go and refit outboard (bolted and clamped on) and seal redundant holes.

I'll have a good look next time I'm out before I do anything either way.

Thanks for trying to help mate.Really appreciated.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bryant fish said:

Hey mate I think you need to take it to a mechanic you trust to have a look surely your usual bloke would have noticed if it was wrong shaft size 

They didn't notice mate as I don't have a usual bloke.My boat has not been touched by anyone except me since it was bought new.And no I didn't notice either.

I would of thought the idiots that sold me the boat would put it in the right place.My fault for not checking and giving it to them.

Edited by Fab1

5 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I would of thought the idiots that sold me the boat would put it in the right place.My fault for not checking and giving it to them.

Yep, you would think that people who have a professional licenced business would BUT then again the would is full of cowboys who dont care as long as the see the colur of your money & rub their hands together.

Imo you could go back to where you bought it & tell them you sold me something that was not fit for purpose & they should fix it without charge!

2 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Yep, you would think that people who have a professional licenced business would BUT then again the would is full of cowboys who dont care as long as the see the colur of your money & rub their hands together.

Imo you could go back to where you bought it & tell them you sold me something that was not fit for purpose & they should fix it without charge!

If I go back there they will have a yamaha outboard embedded in their forehead.Better not.

Unfortunately the days of alot of businesses genuinely caring and ensuring thorough jobs are done are becoming  extinct.If only I had of known at the time.I can't believe I've overlooked it all this time mate.

Kicking myself.

• Like 1

It happens, agreed the dealer "should" have installed it right, but, looking at the pictures, they really had little option, raising it to the max would have been preferable, but it's all history now. You saying it's 11 years old? looks like it just left the showroom!

Just to kind of add something here about motor installations, a friend of mine has the same boat as me, same motor, all bought from the same dealer, but....my motor is mounted a full hole higher than his, my boat is OK, his cavitates (ventilates actually) if he lifts his motor to the same as mine, go figure! I doubt the motors are different, I think it's just a slight difference in the hulls, one must be slightly higher/lower/twisted/crooked/welded wrong somehow, that's why all this is trial and error.

46 minutes ago, noelm said:

looks like it just left the showroom!

…. And I bet there’s not a fish scale in it !

On a serious note though- sorry to hear of your troubles mate. The undesirable/unpredictable foil behavior was what I was trying to warn you of previously. Anyway there are outboard jacking plates available which you may want to explore. They bolt into the existing holes on transom and the bigger ones can go to decent HP rating. 
cheers Zoran 

Edit: adding link

https://tbnation.net/products/mini-jacker-jack-plate-35hp-max

Edited by zmk1962

46 minutes ago, noelm said:

It happens, agreed the dealer "should" have installed it right, but, looking at the pictures, they really had little option, raising it to the max would have been preferable, but it's all history now. You saying it's 11 years old? looks like it just left the showroom!

If was fitting the outboard for customer I'd say look, to fit this motor "correctly" I need to weld a 3 inch ally box section across the transom so that the motors at the right height and will cost you an extra $200 on top of the purchase price.That's an example.

There is no excuse ever mate.

These people should know what they are doing and they are exact like most trades people these days.....THEY DO WHATEVER IS EASIER FOR THEM AND IT'S SEE YOU LATER.I know how the game is played as I've been around.

40 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just to kind of add something here about motor installations, a friend of mine has the same boat as me, same motor, all bought from the same dealer, but....my motor is mounted a full hole higher than his, my boat is OK, his cavitates (ventilates actually) if he lifts his motor to the same as mine, go figure! I doubt the motors are different, I think it's just a slight difference in the hulls, one must be slightly higher/lower/twisted/crooked/welded wrong somehow, that's why all this is trial and error.

That's odd.Maybe his boats a banana.

39 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

…. And I bet there’s not a fish scale in it !

On a serious note though- sorry to hear of your troubles mate. The undesirable/unpredictable foil behavior was what I was trying to warn you of previously. Anyway there are outboard jacking plates available which you may want to explore. They bolt into the existing holes on transom and the bigger ones can go to decent HP rating. 
cheers Zoran 

No fish scales mate.That bloody Yowie takes the lot!!!😂🤣

Plenty of mummified bait only.I know you did warn but that's due to the motor sitting to low acting like a scoop I'm almost certain.

I know 7 people with either oz hydrofoil or permatrims(Difference is the trailing edges between the 2.One has a straught edge the other is curved).

They have boats ranging from tinnies to hefty glass boats with different hp and they all have seen quicker planing at slower speeds,better handling,fuel consumption etc.I'm assuming there cave plates are at the right height though. 

26 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

🤣😂

If there was it was it would only be from the bait..............................................& thats according to Fab himself 😅

Hope you get it sorted @Fab1

Like I told Z it's mummified bait I haven't been out for sooooooo long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Yep, 11 yrs old in March.March 2011 vintage.I look after my stuff as best as I can..A few blokes have said at the ramp when it was 6-7 yrs old did I just buy it.

• Like 1

My crabbing tinny is only about 4-5 years old, kept under cover and it looks twice its age! but then, crabbing is "hard" on boats, constant traps hitting the side, mud everywhere, rotten bait, it takes its toll.

6 minutes ago, noelm said:

My crabbing tinny is only about 4-5 years old, kept under cover and it looks twice its age! but then, crabbing is "hard" on boats, constant traps hitting the side, mud everywhere, rotten bait, it takes its toll.

Yeah, I can imagine.I manage to keep my empty hooks away from my hull when I wind in.😉

• Like 1

Fab. I can weld a transom extension on the boat to make it a long shaft if you want to go down that path.

OR any fabrication workshop could do the job.

And while I ( or workshop ) is doing the job also have a new reinforcing arm welded in to aid strength to transom.

Frank

30 minutes ago, motiondave said:

As Zoran and others have suggested, get a jack plate or go buy some 10mm thick aluminium angle and Make something up. If your mate has sane set up but his motor a tad higher and it's Cavitation, that's a concern. A cheapo jackplate will allow you to get just the right height. There are some Motors on some hulls that like to be a bit deeper in the water..

My motor is about 1" below and while it's been suggested I lift it, I'm not, as it near Cavitation with not much tilt .

I'm weighing up options mate.I can make one out of ally easily enough but don't really like the idea of diy jack plate or store bought.I'm fairly confident if I keep my boat I'll go the full transom extension  welded on route.

Thanks for your input mate.

27 minutes ago, frankS said:

Fab. I can weld a transom extension on the boat to make it a long shaft if you want to go down that path.

OR any fabrication workshop could do the job.

And while I ( or workshop ) is doing the job also have a new reinforcing arm welded in to aid strength to transom.

Frank

I'm leaning towards what your saying mate.Thank you for the kind offer.I don't know if I like the idea of a diy jack plate or store bought one even though they will both do the job.

I'll keep you in mind and if I go ahead with the transom extension route I'll give you the work if you still want it.

Cheers mate.

I have been thinking about this half the night, something doesn't add up, the transom measures 19", which is right for a standard 20" long shaft...right so far? yet even with the motor lifted 20mm with that spacer, the cav plate is 3" below the bottom...once again, right? Now back to the 5" motor increments, doesn't that add up to, if the motor was sitting right on the transom top, (no spacer) the cav plate would then be another 20mm deeper (almost 2") meaning a 15" motor should be perfect? Something seems quite strange somehow, yet there is a picture of the tape measure clearly showing (near enough) 19". Was the tape in the centre of the transom, where the motor is, and hooked on the top (not including the spacer) and run straight down to the bottom? I am not questioning anyone's thoughts/pictures or anything else here, but "something" seems odd. I have been in the industry on and off for decades and something seems amiss, what that is seems to not make sense, but then, maybe I am confusing myself...I often do!

edit....I just looked at the pictures again, and they clearly show the tape on top of the transom, in the centre, under the spacer....damn!

Edited by noelm

16 minutes ago, noelm said:

I have been thinking about this half the night, something doesn't add up, the transom measures 19", which is right for a standard 20" long shaft...right so far? yet even with the motor lifted 20mm with that spacer, the cav plate is 3" below the bottom...once again, right? Now back to the 5" motor increments, doesn't that add up to, if the motor was sitting right on the transom top, (no spacer) the cav plate would then be another 20mm deeper (almost 2") meaning a 15" motor should be perfect? Something seems quite strange somehow, yet there is a picture of the tape measure clearly showing (near enough) 19". Was the tape in the centre of the transom, where the motor is, and hooked on the top (not including the spacer) and run straight down to the bottom? I am not questioning anyone's thoughts/pictures or anything else here, but "something" seems odd. I have been in the industry on and off for decades and something seems amiss, what that is seems to not make sense, but then, maybe I am confusing myself...I often do!

edit....I just looked at the pictures again, and they clearly show the tape on top of the transom, in the centre, under the spacer....damn!

Yes,the transom height is exactly 19 inches from the top of the transom (underneath the spacer) to the bottom of the hull (flat part not including planing strakes).

Yes, even with the added height of the 20mm spacer from the flat part of the bottom of the hull to the cav plate is 3 inches.

If the motor was sitting on the bare transom ( no 20 mm spacer) the motors cavitation plate would be roughly 3 and 3/4 inches below the flat part of the bottom of the hull not another 2 inches.19 mm is roughly 3/4 of an inch.

I can assure you all measurements are in the centre and spot on.

My brain is aching and I need to get some sleep as I have work tonight.

Thanks for trying to help mate.

My brain is thinking about it to don't you worry.

• Like 1

Fab and noel. So how much does the transom need to be raised so the motor fits properly 3 " or 4" ? or what .

It is pretty simple to cut a chunk of 3" or 4" x 1 1/2" rhs alloy section to the shape of the transom and weld it in place. And if it comes up short place lengths of flat on top to make up the distance. Would be good to get it right the first time instead of adding bits and pieces on to make up height.

I will leave it up to you 2 to sort that part out.

Also Fab, could you take a photo of inside the transom where the support brace is . I would like to make a additional support brace to accommodate the extra height of the transom as I feel the smallish support that is present is too low and not really supporting much at all.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Looks like you may  have a 22.5" shaft engine. Is it a 2 stroke Enduro? Some of them came with 22.5" shafts.

As others have suggested you have 2 options, jack plate or weld an extension on the top of the transom and cross  brace it on the inside.

As the boat was bought after January 2011 you are covered by consumer warranty ( if you choose to go down that road). It states the good must be fit for the purpose and last a reasonable time . Clearly it is not fit for the purpose as it is a planning hull the 3" bellow the bottom of the hull creates a lot of drag . 

If you want to fight it ( provided the dealer is still in business) call fair trading and they will advice you what to do.

I would take them on but that's me, I understand if you just want it fixed and put it down to experience .

Good luck with whatever you decide to do .

Can you measure the shaft length of your engine, would be interesting to know what engine you have.

To do that run your tape from the anti ventilation plate ( or cavitation plate if that's what you call it) to under that mounting bracket.  

31 minutes ago, wrxhoon1 said:

Clearly it is not fit for the purpose as it is a planning hull the 3" bellow the bottom of the hull creates a lot of drag . 

Can you measure the shaft length of your engine, would be interesting to know what engine you have.

Thats what I was suggesting as well.

To know the motor specs you just need the model/serial number & look it up on the net, fairly easy.