Persistence and Dedication

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Just thought that I would stick up a post about one of my talented young kids. 
My son Brandon has been playing rugby league since he was 4. He’s always been a talented young kid from cricket, athletics to rugby league. To be honest, any sport he plays he always gives his all no matter what he does. 
His real passion though is rugby league and attends a sports high school on a Talented Sports Program. 
He has been dedicated to making a representative side for many years and his talent has always been there for everyone to see. Although year after year, when rep season came about he would trial and be the best player on the field but would never get picked. Disappointed, he would always ask me why? To which I had no answer but I would always tell him to keep training hard and just make the too embarrassed not to pick you! So he took up that challenge and we’ve spent hundreds of hours at the park working on his skills. At home we prepared the right meals to fuel the body and training programs to get him in the best shape we could. Yet he still didn’t get picked. As the years went on he lead his team to three Division 1 premierships, represented the school in NSW SCHOOL BOYS CUP, won state titles in Rugby, touch and oztag. But they still didn’t pick him. I’ve always said that natural talent will only get you so far, so keep working hard. 
To his credit, that’s exactly what he did. The kid is 17 and has never touched drugs, vape, had a cigarette and doesn’t even know what a beer tastes like! 

Well, at the end of last year they finally couldn’t deny him any longer and he was picked for the U/18’s Newcastle Knights squad. He trained with the squad for 2 months and was approaching the first game and to make his debut and was struck down with covid! Omg, what a kick in the arse! 
He waited the two weeks out under policy and on the weekend just gone, he finally got the chance to make his debut! The years of persistence and dedication were about to be on display for all to see! 
Game day came around and we drove to the ground and I could tell by his mannerisms that he was focused on the task at hand. 
To say he put on a clinic of skill was an understatement. He turned his team around from a heavy loss the week prior to a thumping win that had his name on everyone’s lips! 
So proud of his efforts and the young man he’s becoming. As a young kid to have the goals he’s set for himself and witness the work that he’s put in brings tears to my eyes! 

Thanks for reading. So you know that if I’m not out fishing, I’m following my amazing children on their sporting endeavours around the country somewhere! 

• Like 12

Great story! if you work hard enough you can get anything!

Being a league fan and playing div 1 and all that i know how hard you have to work and my dad used to play professionally and he has always told me that hard works will always get you there.

Also some of those line breaks he created where pretty good 👍  hopefully we might see him playing professionally maybe 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Thats simply awesome. Good on him.

Cheers mate! 

11 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Persistence always pays of. You must be one proud dad!!

Your son must be awesome😄.

Congratulations to both of you.

Thanks. Yes he is very focused on what he wants and works hard. I’m so proud. 

11 hours ago, gundi4 said:

Love it mate. Good on him for persisting and good on you for supporting him. It’s only the beginning now. Enjoy the ride 

Cheers Nik. As you would know, plenty of hours spent travelling and time sitting at football parks. All worthwhile as they chase their goals. 

9 hours ago, BigHorse said:

Great story! if you work hard enough you can get anything!

Being a league fan and playing div 1 and all that i know how hard you have to work and my dad used to play professionally and he has always told me that hard works will always get you there.

Also some of those line breaks he created where pretty good 👍  hopefully we might see him playing professionally maybe 🤷‍♂️

Cheers mate! Hard work is definitely the key to success in life in general. 
He’s baked again in the side this week, so let’s see him back it up! 💪

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arthuros said:

we are definately short a hooker Scratchie, now that Brailey is out.

Does he spend any time being coached by Danny B

He is been coached and mentored by quite a few former players and NRL coaches. Hooker is certainly an option for him but at this stage his game is really based around the halves! 

• Like 1

Great story Scratchie. I'm going to get my kids to read it (age 10 and 12). Brandon certainly showed a lot of character dealing with those disappointments. That reflects well on you as a parent.

I suspect unjust selection in junior sport rep teams is a universal problem. A lot of the time it is about what club side you play for, which school you attend and how well the coach knows you. This is really hard for a child who has worked hard and who knows deep down they deserve to be there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

Great story Scratchie. I'm going to get my kids to read it (age 10 and 12). Brandon certainly showed a lot of character dealing with those disappointments. That reflects well on you as a parent.

I suspect unjust selection in junior sport rep teams is a universal problem. A lot of the time it is about what club side you play for, which school you attend and how well the coach knows you. This is really hard for a child who has worked hard and who knows deep down they deserve to be there.

Thanks mate. 

Im sure there is a lot of kids in that very same position. Things aren’t always just or fair in sport but as I taught my son, life’s not always fair either. Work hard and you’ll get your rewards at some point. 
So much politics and nepotism in kids sport but if they really want it, train as hard as you can and make them embarrassed not to pick you! Then when the opportunity presents itself, take it with both hands 🙌 

• Like 1