Savage Boats

garfield28

2 hours ago, garfield28 said:

Cheers Frank. 

I have a fibreglass roller mate as I've done some fibreglassing on the boat of late, and thanks for the offer on the matting but I'm not too too far from Trojan fibreglass and have already bought a heap of gear from there of late. 

If you have already done some glassing, you're part way there, just knowing how to mix resin, wet mat out and so on is a big bonus.

7 hours ago, noelm said:

It's kind of no different, just treat it as a small full width transom, that's what you have in a kind if way, the sides of the pod are the sides of the boat with a full width transom, if you get what I mean?

Yeah sort of get what you're saying noelm. Would be good if I could watch a vid on a similar transom repair. I hope it all works out also working on it from the outside rather than the inside as sound to be the common way of doing them

7 hours ago, motiondave said:

I had to redo the transom in the pongrass last year. I got in the back and dug and cut the rot out, them lots of resin , fibreglass and new ply sheets cut to size.

Straight across the back transom motion?

56 minutes ago, Bryant fish said:

I done mime from back I had no choice as the fibreglass was badly  cracked(I have a twin setup and nearly lost a motor and half the transom offshore),maybe get something to practice  on before you start if you use ply make sure you sandwich glass between sheets

You nearly lost an outboard and half the transom after the repair? 

3 hours ago, Bryant fish said:

Mate I'm  trying  to inspire confidence not scare the crap out of you

It did put me off for a minute haha 

It does worry me though doing my first transom and being different to what I can view on YouTube as my transom is completely different, and the fact I'm going against what is the norm and doing it from the outside.

9 hours ago, Smobaby said:

One of the main reasons transom are repaired internally is there is no external cosmetic problems to deal with. Making it look original and trying to match gelcoat. 

That's good to know them because I thought it was more to do with the integrity of the structure holding an outboard motor etc

1 hour ago, Bryant fish said:

Also make sure you leave at least 50mm around  edges to fibreglass to  making sure each layer goes further out than the last

Think I'm pretty close to that measurement when I started cutting around the outside.