Port Stephens Report

The Rev

Hi Raiders,

After a less than successful first week of the holidays fishing Wallis Lake for flathead, I am onto week 2 at Port Stephens.  On Monday,  with the rain holding off (was predicted to rain most of the day) i headed out just before the high tide in the late morning. I fished the North side of Corrie island over the tide change.  I caught one 35cm bream and lost two good 45-50cm flatties at the boat. They spat the hook both times. All fish caught on a 100mm Berkley gulp paddle tail molten green shrimp soft plastic.  The bite was the hour after the high tide change.  

Today I went out again at gentleman’s hour, after a morning walk on the beach with my wife. She then had a study day on zoom, so i had to go fishing to keep the house quiet!  Left from Hawkes Nest and headed out to the heads.  Swell was 2M and period about 10seconds with 6-8 knots of wind. Beautiful out there with the sun shining, but the water was dirtier than yesterday and the fish weren’t biting 😔.  Trolled around the north side of Boondelbah for nothing. Few some plastics and got a just legal Tailor. Water temp 24.5C.  Went back inside and conditions were perfect except for the water quality that had deteriorated overnight. Tried off the  island opposite Soldiers Point for nothing. Went back on the high tide change  to where I got fish yesterday on the north side of Corrie Island also for nothing. I spoke to a the other three boats fishing on the water - they all got very little - just 3 small bream on one boat.  I guess just not the day.  I’ll be out later in the week. Thanks @Scratchiefor your assistance 👍🙏

The Rev

• Like 10

Nice Bream mate, better than nothing. I will tell you you are not the only person to have good flatties dropped at the boat, it is not a nice feeling. My friend lost a good 80cm one at the boat cause I missed the net shot..

• Like 1

No problems Rev! 
As I said, you haven’t picked the best weather to come fish up here. It certainly is the best time of year usually everything is on the cards. Hopefully later in the week the fishing improves! Just keep casting 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1