Port Hacking Land Based

Larkin

Gday raiders,

a quick report from me.

Weather wasn’t looking good today, but predictions had a gap of 3-4 hours where it would be dry.

Fished Gunnamatta bay from 10am-2pm land based together with my wife. She outfished me 👍7-2 ☹️

She caught a 50cm King, 2 Aussie salmon and 4 Thompsons bonitos to my 1 x Aussie Salmon & 1 x Thomsons Bonito.

kept the 5 bonitos and the smallest salmon that was gill hooked and bled out.

bait used was salted bonito strips on a 5/0 unweighted hook - scoop of burley into the water followed by the unweighted strip bait down the burley trail doing the damage.

I also had a livie out for no hits.

DE986142-5953-4AA7-B3A0-C146DE2E3D27.jpeg.242086efdade553b8aa11440650d984b.jpegC66E9625-DCCA-47A1-8540-8ACA30989C29.jpeg.414b8d5a2eba2dfe54788c84c6c8f808.jpeg

• Like 11

Nice haul there.

Watsons bonito they are. A lot of them around this year, some years not many at all, if any. Make a great bait, fresh or salted, and according to others are fairly good on the plate.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Nice haul there.

Watsons bonito they are. A lot of them around this year, some years not many at all, if any. Make a great bait, fresh or salted, and according to others are fairly good on the plate.

Haha 😂, brain’s a little tired after the day out!

Will pan fry up a couple of fillets, olive oil salt and pepper with a side salad - the rest are off to the salter to stock up the bait supply!

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

Some cracking fish there, well done the both of you! 

Thanks Mike, was good to get onto a few today - wife had fun fighting them on the light gear.

16 hours ago, Larkin said:

Gday raiders,

a quick report from me.

Weather wasn’t looking good today, but predictions had a gap of 3-4 hours where it would be dry.

Fished Gunnamatta bay from 10am-2pm land based together with my wife. She outfished me 👍7-2 ☹️

She caught a 50cm King, 2 Aussie salmon and 4 Thompsons bonitos to my 1 x Aussie Salmon & 1 x Thomsons Bonito.

bait used was salted bonito strips on a 5/0 unweighted hook - scoop of burley into the water followed by the unweighted strip bait down the burley trail doing the damage.

DE986142-5953-4AA7-B3A0-C146DE2E3D27.jpeg.242086efdade553b8aa11440650d984b.jpegC66E9625-DCCA-47A1-8540-8ACA30989C29.jpeg.414b8d5a2eba2dfe54788c84c6c8f808.jpeg

Very nicely done!

where about did you guys fished at, never been that far, usually at lilli pilli but it’s packed as always😂

• Like 1

Hi Larkin,

Wow, thats a great landbased catch. 

Its always satisfying getting a good landbased catch.

It was memtioned that the bonoto took baits, 

But has anyone recently caught these port hacking leaping bonitos on lures, if so  what has been your biggest metal lure that they took. Normally i use 10grams from the boat. But from land i would use 40gms just to get a distance cast.

Maybe an 80gm lure, or would that be too big

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pickles said:

Top job @Larkingreat string pullers Bonnie’s, we’ll done.

Thanks pickles, wife was having fun - I was the burley boy, dehooker, dispatcher, cleaner. 😂 

22 hours ago, Restyle said:

good to see some kings & Watsons about still. not a great day weather wise but fish to be had. Your wife will be digging into you for awhile about how she caught more fish

No large kingies like last time, but lots of salmon and Bonnie’s. 
yep, she had the tally going

12 hours ago, Scratchie said:

A few speedsters getting around. How fun are they to catch! Well done 👍 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks mate, wish I got to catch more, but I was working for the wife on that day! 😂 

12 hours ago, sam bros said:

Very fun to catch on light tackle

We usually keep a few for a feed as well

I landed a larger salmon on my yakka rod - was a good fight. Bonnies go alright too - I find the regular ones pull a bit harder. 

9 hours ago, papafish said:

Very nicely done!

where about did you guys fished at, never been that far, usually at lilli pilli but it’s packed as always😂

Thanks mate! we fished Gunnamatta bay off the wharf. Only a few people there - always better on a weekday.

9 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

That’s a great catch @Larkin. We had some great bonito sashimi last night at a super fancy restaurant. Highly recommended!

You spoiling the wife mate! 

Sounds delish, What restaurant?

4 hours ago, ilkfish said:

Hi Larkin,

Wow, thats a great landbased catch. 

Its always satisfying getting a good landbased catch.

It was memtioned that the bonoto took baits, 

But has anyone recently caught these port hacking leaping bonitos on lures, if so  what has been your biggest metal lure that they took. Normally i use 10grams from the boat. But from land i would use 40gms just to get a distance cast.

Maybe an 80gm lure, or would that be too big

Hi ilkfish, I normally catch the standard Bonnie’s trolling halco gold laser 12cm hardbody lures and small Christmas trees. The gold halco seems to get hit the most and is my go to. 

Haven’t tried metals on the watsons, but did throw out a small soft plastic vibe through the burley trail, but no hits.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 8:06 AM, Pickles said:
On 4/8/2022 at 6:49 PM, Larkin said:

Gday raiders,

a quick report from me.

Thanks for the reply. just wondering are there squid around gunnmatta bay wharf? i mean inside the bath or there and about?  cheers might try it out in the future

On 4/8/2022 at 6:49 PM, Larkin said:

Gday raiders,

a quick report from me.

Was there today! No mac daddy, plenty of yellow tails! 1x 50cm salmons, a Trev and a bream. Landed 1x 50cm+ kingie and lost 4x 70+ kingie!!!!! Got smoked hard on a 6lb and 8lb leader😂 I couldn’t do a thing. Tighten my drag and main broke!! Let it run?? The spool would have been clean, great fun! Losted $50 of gears😂

5 minutes ago, papafish said:

Was there today! No mac daddy, plenty of yellow tails! 1x 50cm salmons, a Trev and a bream. Landed 1x 50cm+ kingie and lost 4x 70+ kingie!!!!! Got smoked hard on a 6lb and 8lb leader😂 I couldn’t do a thing. Tighten my drag and main broke!! Let it run?? The spool would have been clean, great fun! Losted $50 of gears😂

Haha, sounds like you had ball!

take some heavier gear next time 😂 

Good thing is there is netting along the wharf, So the the fish can’t wrap you - can take your time fighting the fish at this spot.

9 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Haha, sounds like you had ball!

take some heavier gear next time 😂 

Good thing is there is netting along the wharf, So the the fish can’t wrap you - can take your time fighting the fish at this spot.

I had to walk the fish to the beach to land the salmon and rat king😂 I don’t carry anything more then 8lb usually, but I might have to in future if I’m running livie 🤪

2 hours ago, papafish said:

I had to walk the fish to the beach to land the salmon and rat king😂 I don’t carry anything more then 8lb usually, but I might have to in future if I’m running livie 🤪

Haha, seen that done a few times down there. There is a ladder on the right hand side that you can go down if you can get a fellow fisho to hold your rod. Take a net.
the locals have been burleying up every day down there - they’ve been taking down laundry tubs full of burley which has kept the fish around. It’s not always like that down there.