Long reef kayak 16/04

99FishingWorld

So I have recently taken up yak fishing so I headed out with @slothparade to long reef last Saturday with my paddle yak launching from fisherman’s beach around 8 AM. 

This was my first proper offshore trip, and I took way too much gear including four rods (all over 7500), landing net, Ice bag and backpack. To top it all off, the raised seat I had was way too unstable so I had to store it in the back of my 2.7m nextgen 9 😂

the yak was so heavy and short it was leaning backwards and movement was very slow (got too excited)

anyway after about 20 minutes of paddling I got to the close drop off into long reef and there was non stop action, mostly caught good sized sweep, bonito and lots of undersized striped grunter. There was about 20 boats in sight most of whom were in the one spot. All hookups off Sabiki rigs!

Sweep is good eating for me and I’m just happy to catch something legal and edible really after never being an independent fisherman with their own vessel.

anyways I bought a hobie revo 13 since then so will be taking that offshore.

FFBF64FF-AF92-4699-B1CA-4B42C1527170.jpeg

0969EEF9-CC32-473F-BFE6-730D911F0CC3.jpeg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Aka trumpeter 

oh!  about the size of a yakka ,  yes... i thought that they were only an estuary species , ive had them  and they are  ok on the plate, 

well you learn a new thing every day they say , thanks for the reply 

eastern_striped_trumpeter_b.27df452.width-1200.0f0b760.jpg

Edited by leonardgid

20 hours ago, Larkin said:

great report, And well done on your catch!

im guessing it has to be a very flat day to head outside in a kayak. 

Cheers. It was a 1m swell the whole weekend with under 10 km wind most of the time.. had to make the most out of it.

10 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done mate, nice bag and credit to @slothparade to showing you they way. 

Thanks and unfortunately I pushed him on the water but he had some leaks so he had to pack it .. I headed out alone (it was my idea to visit long reef) and I’ve got experience kayak surfing and launching in one of the most brutal beaches (bondi beach) so gave it a crack 

8 hours ago, motiondave said:

good stuff, the conditions have been spot on recently, I actually like fishing boat this time of year, low winds,low swell, water still warm, cool day time air.....
and a great assortment of fish there, well done.

Thanks mate

• Like 1

Way to go Tarim. The Hobbie Revolution are a great bit of gear.

Some great fishing around Longie - lots of sharks though (caught a Hammerhead there today) and often get Makos and small White sharks, so be careful with your body parts in the water when landing your catch. Often sweep come around to burley and so do the sharks.

Great report, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Way to go Tarim. The Hobbie Revolution are a great bit of gear.

Some great fishing around Longie - lots of sharks though (caught a Hammerhead there today) and often get Makos and small White sharks, so be careful with your body parts in the water when landing your catch. Often sweep come around to burley and so do the sharks.

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Yes they are, theyre also very fun to use. I bought it off someone in Wollongong and it hadn't been serviced in years so have been spending time taking the mirage drive apart, gluing all the seals on the yak, purchasing a new battery and other things (still learning a lot about it).
I don't burley on my yak but may try it out some time with an anchor, as my yak has a pulley installed already.

Unfortunately I sprung a leak so wasn't really able to head out. Anyways dumped absolutely everything on the beach. Just a handline and 1 squid strip. Anyways paddled out to the edge of the bay and trolled that squid strip and was suddenly just couldn't paddle and was being towed backwards. Unfortunately the line snapped. 

Web back got a rod and reel, went out same spot with a squid strip and was towed backwards. Managed to get the king up to the side of the kayak before the knot broke . 

31 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

What size hooks were you using? And we’re you intending to catch those sorta fish or were targeting bream and flathead.

Just recently found out how easy it is ti catch squid and curious as using it as a strip bait

6/0 either a Snell rig or a single hook. Aiming at anything big enough to take a nice slab of squid. I went a decent way out so yeah not after flathead or bream. 

Squids not to bad, just prepare them properly. Take that putter skin layer off, take out the backbone and cut into strips, the head works well to 

On 4/22/2022 at 10:23 PM, GordoRetired said:

Never kept a Sweep. Are they any good to eat? If so how do you cook them?

filleted skin off, de boned, pan fry with salt and pepper and fresh squeezed lemon to top it off. 

tastes just like snapper. They have a good amount of meat too (they're fat buggas) 

• Like 1