LEST WE FORGET

mrsswordfisherman

My dad was a first and 2nd world war veteran. He served in the Australian army during world war 1 and fought in France and Belgium . 
It was dad's regiment that captured the " Armiens cannon " now at the Australian war memorial .
He was wounded in the leg by shrapnel in France and taken to a British hospital for patch up repair and sent back to fight, he then was part of the capture of the great canon and was later shot in the neck with machine gun fire, and sent back to hospital again for patch up.
He served till the end of the war. During the 2nd world war he didn't see any action but still played a part in the signals division.
After the war he became a Sydney postman. Sadly he died the day before my 14th birthday . He was just 66 years old.
Anzac day is a very special day for me.

Frank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 8

4 hours ago, frankS said:

My dad was a first and 2nd world war veteran. He served in the Australian army during world war 1 and fought in France and Belgium . 
It was dad's regiment that captured the " Armiens cannon " now at the Australian war memorial .
He was wounded in the leg by shrapnel in France and taken to a British hospital for patch up repair and sent back to fight, he then was part of the capture of the great canon and was later shot in the neck with machine gun fire, and sent back to hospital again for patch up.
He served till the end of the war. During the 2nd world war he didn't see any action but still played a part in the signals division.
After the war he became a Sydney postman. Sadly he died the day before my 14th birthday . He was just 66 years old.
Anzac day is a very special day for me.

Frank

Thanks for sharing the reflections of your Dad with us Frank. He certainly did his bit mate. What a tragedy that he died so young. RIP.

Neil

Thanks Donna - I was at the 4.50 am dawn service at Richmond - my dad was in the Second/ First anti-aircraft unit in the Middle East - a proud indigenous serviceman, who upon his return was not allowed into an RSL club as “Aborigines” were not recognised as Australian citizens until 1962 when referendum changed legislation until then, we weren’t “recognised” in our own country. (Could go and fight and protect country, but no right to vote). Before this in some states under the Natives (Citizenship Rights) Act 1944 if they met certain conditions that applied only to Aboriginal people. These included not suffering from certain medical conditions, being able to understand and speak English, and having ‘industrious habits’.

Aboriginal people seeking citizenship often had to demonstrate that they no longer associated with their communities. The regulations were often referred to as the ‘dog-collar act’ or ‘dog-act’ because of the affront to Aboriginal identity and freedom of association they represented.

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3