Davidson Park - Bad luck or user error?

Gengar

Ever since been converted to lure fishing its been a while since I have caught a yakka and used as live bait. Anyway given my kid's recent interest in getting live poddies I decided to give them a go over at Davidson Park over the weekend. Got there early afternoon. The poddies were about 10 to 12 cm and I would use two 2/0 circle hooks snelled together usually one on the back just behind the head and the other about 3 to 4 cm in front of the tail. I then had it about 3m below a float. So out it went while I was flicking soft plastic on my other rod.

After about 10 minutes i noticed my float was lying on its side so reeled it back (see the pic). Dang, i didn't even see the rod bend probably because of the slack line. Anyway out went another poddy but this time i kept a careful eye on it. Soon enough saw the float bob go down the water....just as I was about to reel....the bob comes back up....and again just the head remained. That happened probably a couple more times during the day before I had to go. I also tried pinning one of the hooks through the mouth and the other between belly and tail but no avail.  Oh well guess sometimes the fish wins!

Not sure what fish it was but guess it might have been a big tailor? Anyway it get me wondering whether it was just my bad luck or was it user error (eg rigged wrong etc)?

Btw what knots do you use as float stopper? I haven't done one for a long time but i think its a uni knot that i do but i find after a while it becomes loses and I need to tie another one. I also used those black rubber stoppers but i find they don't grip on the line enough.

20220501_153132.jpg

• Like 3

Bad luck @Gengar, but good to see you're finding some predators! I believe the upper reaches of Middle Harbour holds its fair share of mulloway.

My first thought is that it could be a squid, but normally that results in a bait taking a bite out of the fish's neck. That's happened to me in the few times I have fished livies. I struggled to get a hookup when this happened. Next time, instead of working lures, try a squid jig and if the theory is right, get some calamari rings out of it.

Are those hooks circles of sorts? If so, it's possible that the line needs to be under tension for a hookup (i.e. not under a float). Maybe try a plain old suicide hook.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Bad luck @Gengar, but good to see you're finding some predators! I believe the upper reaches of Middle Harbour holds its fair share of mulloway.

My first thought is that it could be a squid, but normally that results in a bait taking a bite out of the fish's neck. That's happened to me in the few times I have fished livies. I struggled to get a hookup when this happened. Next time, instead of working lures, try a squid jig and if the theory is right, get some calamari rings out of it.

Are those hooks circles of sorts? If so, it's possible that the line needs to be under tension for a hookup (i.e. not under a float). Maybe try a plain old suicide hook.

Can't hurt to try a squid jig.

The only reason I choose circle hooks for floats is because I read that the fish hook themselves. I dont usually look at the float as I am flicking my plastic on the other rod. I only know something is on when the rod bbandstand by then I am hoping the circle hook would have done its magic and hooked on the fish. Having said that I usually use mustard hooks but ran out so was only using cheap jarvis walker circle hooks. Next time will try suicide and see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gengar said:

That's the same knot I use but I find they knot slips after a while (say after a few sessions).

Do two of them facing each other and use the same diameter line for the knots as your main line. We use two of the rubber stoppers and they work great- buy the cylindrical ones because they give more surface area/grip.

As for the fish I'm with Noel - Tailor very likely candidate and they often bite livey's really close to the hook/s without taking them in. Picture of the cylindrical stoppers below- started using two for sure grip and use two when Luderick fishing so you have a 'visual' indicator of depth changes you makeP1010102.thumb.JPG.95f3c7b4dda08266851d0d8daec1e5b2.JPG

• Like 4

I would use a standard J hook (and only one of them) and hold the rod and watch the float, that's the whole idea of a float,  what size line is that it looks very thick?

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gengar said:

The only reason I choose circle hooks for floats is because I read that the fish hook themselves. I dont usually look at the float as I am flicking my plastic on the other rod. I only know something is on when the rod bbandstand by then I am hoping the circle hook would have done its magic and hooked on the fish. Having said that I usually use mustard hooks but ran out so was only using cheap jarvis walker circle hooks. Next time will try suicide and see if it makes a difference.

I believe fish only hook themselves with circles if there some tension on the line. When you have a float out with the rod in a holder (therefore not actively managed) there will be a lot of slack out and therefore you might miss the fish.

Try what @noelm suggests and see how you go. Hopefully next report we’ll find out what it is!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gengar said:

This is the same method I’ve used for years. You miss the odd fish but by having a setup that doesn’t need your 100% focus you can more easily fish multiple rods. 

A float (depending on the size) can also help in tiring out those bigger fish as they have the buoyancy to fight against however just remember that when matching your drag to your line weight. A float exerting 1kg of force on the line means 1kg less drag. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:54 AM, noelm said:

I would use a standard J hook (and only one of them) and hold the rod and watch the float, that's the whole idea of a float,  what size line is that it looks very thick?

J hook you mean suicide? I dont think i have seen J hooks. Yeah it's thicker than I need for what's in the river. It was a left on from when I last used the rod to chuck yakkas for kingfish and was too lazy to change it!

On 5/3/2022 at 8:02 AM, Edward1995 said:

This is the same method I’ve used for years. You miss the odd fish but by having a setup that doesn’t need your 100% focus you can more easily fish multiple rods. 

A float (depending on the size) can also help in tiring out those bigger fish as they have the buoyancy to fight against however just remember that when matching your drag to your line weight. A float exerting 1kg of force on the line means 1kg less drag. 

Mate do you also go with circle hooks or some other hooks when float fishing?

On 5/3/2022 at 7:27 AM, Little_Flatty said:

I believe fish only hook themselves with circles if there some tension on the line. When you have a float out with the rod in a holder (therefore not actively managed) there will be a lot of slack out and therefore you might miss the fish.

Try what @noelm suggests and see how you go. Hopefully next report we’ll find out what it is!

I will sure be out again. This time will try suicide hooks and squid jig and report back. Hopefully catch it this time!

• Like 1

Another option if you wanted to concentrate on the livey instead whilst having a chance at the squid: a squid jig or squid spike (look those up) work under a float as well. Particularly a whole pillie on a squid spike.

You could put the squid rod in a rod holder and hold the livey rod.

1 hour ago, Gengar said:

Do you mean you use two float knots and then also two of those cylindrical stoppers?

Two of those cylindrical stoppers are the best option, however if you don't have them and need to use fishing line then do two of the knots instead and face them towards each other. Make sure to use the same line as your main line for best results. IF you float/bobby cork fish a bit then get some of the cylindrical ones as they are really good for purpose

• Thanks 1