PB Black drummer from Avoca , 08/05/2022

MrsISO

Good morning raiders!

Woke up around 3:30am that day with the intention to fish first light. I am not a morning person at all but fishing is another story.

1.5hrs drive to beautiful avoca beach, 20 mins walk to the location with head light, then burleyed hard with bread and prawn powder and some chopped sea cabbage just before sunrise for about 20 minutes.

This one showed up around 9am, it fought me so hard that I had to squat down and stand up quite a few times to bring it up to the surface. 

I am fishing iso-style, so my leader line is only 20lbs. After I saw the size of the fish in my landing net I am just glad my leader didn't break. 

Anyway it's a personal best, and from what I heard from my friend it will remain as my personal best for a long time. Because apparently this size doesn't come very often. 

Tight lines!

Mrs ISO

image.thumb.jpeg.7446661f1a1d8546e71f26e648154f97.jpeg

• Like 18

29 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Welcome aboard.

Nice drummer.

Well done.

3 minutes ago, Scienceman said:

Wow, impressive. Rewards for planning and effort. 

15 minutes ago, Burger said:

Congrats on the PB! 👍

Thank you everyone. Hope I can renew my record this winter!

3 hours ago, Restyle said:

Awesome fish! did you give it a measurement?

Yes, it measured at 60cm. I forgot to ask my husband to take a picture of the measurement because I was too busy talking to my friend, and I regret that till this day.

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Great eating, love catching and eating Drummer.

Yes. But I do found out later that Black Drummer at that size has chewy skin, so I decide in the future I will only keep 40-45cm ones. 

44 minutes ago, Yorkster said:

wow - great fish and great early am commitment ! 

Thank you! I am getting use to early am now, first light does fish better, less car on road and less people around too.

32 minutes ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done thats a top fish 

Thank you😄

5 hours ago, MrsISO said:

Good morning raiders!

Woke up around 3:30am that day with the intention to fish first light. I am not a morning person at all but fishing is another story.

1.5hrs drive to beautiful avoca beach, 20 mins walk to the location with head light, then burleyed hard with bread and prawn powder and some chopped sea cabbage just before sunrise for about 20 minutes.

This one showed up around 9am, it fought me so hard that I had to squat down and stand up quite a few times to bring it up to the surface. 

I am fishing iso-style, so my leader line is only 20lbs. After I saw the size of the fish in my landing net I am just glad my leader didn't break. 

Anyway it's a personal best, and from what I heard from my friend it will remain as my personal best for a long time. Because apparently this size doesn't come very often. 

Tight lines!

Mrs ISO

image.thumb.jpeg.7446661f1a1d8546e71f26e648154f97.jpeg

Not sure if anyone would like to know more information but I'll share it anyway

I fish ISO style, Size 0.5 Korean float on size 2.5 braid mainline, then float stopper, then connect to about 2m leader line. My 20lb leader is weighted with 5B sinker, about 50cm from hook on a moderate swell day. The hook is Japanese sized 5, which is small but strong enough. Not sure if this setting suitable for other style of fishing.

I use full-float style,  which means my reel stays open and my mainline sink freely before fish on. For bigger fish I normally use lever brake on my reel but never with drummer fishing, because they tend to dive into rock holes when I release the brake for even just half a second and snag me. 

For bait I used fresh sea cabbages on this one, twist them into a worm like shape and run my hook through the strongest part of the worm shape I made. I found smaller pigs also take peeled prawns, but bigger ones say 45cm+ would prefer sea cabbage and cunje more.

MrsISO

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrsISO said:

Not sure if anyone would like to know more information but I'll share it anyway

I fish ISO style, Size 0.5 Korean float on size 2.5 braid mainline, then float stopper, then connect to about 2m leader line. My 20lb leader is weighted with 5B sinker, about 50cm from hook on a moderate swell day. The hook is Japanese sized 5, which is small but strong enough. Not sure if this setting suitable for other style of fishing.

I use full-float style,  which means my reel stays open and my mainline sink freely before fish on. For bigger fish I normally use lever brake on my reel but never with drummer fishing, because they tend to dive into rock holes when I release the brake for even just half a second and snag me. 

For bait I used fresh sea cabbages on this one, twist them into a worm like shape and run my hook through the strongest part of the worm shape I made. I found smaller pigs also take peeled prawns, but bigger ones say 45cm+ would prefer sea cabbage and cunje more.

MrsISO

:1welcomeani: @MrsISO!

By all means, elaborate on your techniques. Apart from not having many female anglers on this site, we also don't have many ISO fishing practitioners. I've always known the techniques to be devastatingly effective, so it would be interesting to learn more.

• Like 1

Congratulations MrsISO, at 60cm that is a fish to be proud of. I do some drummer fishing and have caught a few around 53-55cm but never one that big.

I agree it may be a while before you better that PB!

Cheers

Fil

12 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Excellent Pig MrsIso! Great capture on 20lb line- they fight super hard at that size

Hi Waza! I must say I read all your yarns, repeatly and I love every single one. You are a legend! 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

:1welcomeani: @MrsISO!

By all means, elaborate on your techniques. Apart from not having many female anglers on this site, we also don't have many ISO fishing practitioners. I've always known the techniques to be devastatingly effective, so it would be interesting to learn more.

Good morning Little_Flatty,

I too think ISO fishing is very effective, because on most of my trips to the central coast, me and my friends seem to be  the only group that have been catching fishes. 

It's a technique that is used mostly among Korean and Japanese and Chinese fishermans, and I do find there is a limited English version tutorial video about this kind of fishing available on the internet. I learned how to do this by fishing with experienced ISO fisherman, and I am not an expert yet. Even the fisherman I fish with, are still learning new techniques everyday. 

The fun in ISO fishing is, you are allowed to fight big fish with a noodle size rod and very thin line. Because our rods are all specially made to fish this style, we bring fish up by keeping our rod high so it will form a beautiful curve and "bounce" the fish up with its elasticity. 

The lever brake on our reels are essential when you fight big fishes, it allows us to release and fully stop our drag when fishes taking a dive or a charging run. It's very efficient especially on kingfish and big snappers, I imagine the fish must be on a running and stopping pattern which is very tiresome for them, so they gave up quicker than usual. I landed my first legal kingfish with an 8lb leader line by using this kind of technique. 

Although I have tried with my limited English, I do believe I have only explained a fraction of this fishing style. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask, I will try my best to answer them.

Cheers,
MrsISO

• Like 4