PB Flathead Port Stephens

Max Power

G’day Raiders,

I hope everyone has had a great weekend and managed to get out for a fish 🎣

The next few days don’t look all that pleasant here on the East coast,  so I took the opportunity to head out yesterday for a low tide Flattie session on the flats of Taylors Beach. Hit the sand/mud at around 11am with a couple of hours until low tide.

I’d bought a cheap backpack/seat a while ago and after cable tying a rod holder to the side it was time to try it out. It worked surprisingly well as I was able to put my fishing rod in the holder as I was walking and only had to carry my tackle box. I did find a tackle box (the small blue one) washed up on the shore and if no one here owns it then it will be used next time as it will fit in the backpack. 

IMG_2184.jpeg.16a7455225792dd15a8bd0925ec96880.jpeg

Now onto the fishing 😁

There was a varying WNW breeze blowing and as I was casting towards the West it made things a little challenging at times, but as I was using soft plastics (at this stage) I was able to vary my jighead weight as required. I tried Prawn imitation, paddle tails and curly tails but apart from a few small bites (possibly Tailor or Toadies) no action was forthcoming. I then decided to try out some cheap hard bodied lures that I had bought a while ago (I think they were 3 for $5 😂).

Well strike me down and colour me pink! The 3rd or 4th cast in knee deep water,  along the edge of some deeper water and I felt a resistance on the line (about 3 metres away from me) and thought I had caught a patch of weed with the sharp little trebles. That is, until I saw a big shape swim past me with line peeling of the spool! Holy snapping duck crap I thought, that’s a nice size Flattie!! Breathe, stay clam, start walking backwards to the beach, don’t lose it etc were some of the thoughts going through my mind. Anyway my awesome little Daiwa combo with 6 pound braid and 10 pound fluro leader handled the job with ease. After a few more little runs I had a beautiful 63cm fish on the beach and a few quick photos later she was released unharmed safely into the water. What a buzz!

IMG_2183.jpeg.25278810abf237421ba7c25929fb253b.jpeg

IMG_2182.jpeg.f0b4514181b582ce262e234ab4cbb70d.jpeg

It was pretty much on dead low tide when I caught her and this little lure did the job!

I have had success in the past with a pink curl tail grub which is what made me choose this colour.

A PB Flattie for me and also my first Flathead on a hardbody lure so to say I was stoked would be an understatement!!

IMG_2185.jpeg.0e7c78cf65782e689e9b99cb5efd0d3c.jpeg

Cheers for reading (if you got this far 😂) and I hope everyone has a great rest of your weekend!!

• Like 11

Nice one!

A cheapo Kmart lure was responsible for my PB flatty too, at 63cm. Mine was a $4 redhead soft vibe. They’re actually pretty decent - chucking on some better quality trebles is worth it though.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveBM said:

Nice one!

A cheapo Kmart lure was responsible for my PB flatty too, at 63cm. Mine was a $4 redhead soft vibe. They’re actually pretty decent - chucking on some better quality trebles is worth it though.

Cheers @DaveBM, wow what a coincidence! Just goes to show that if you are at the right spot at the right time, cheaper gear can and will work.

Good point on the trebles too 👍

5 minutes ago, miniken said:

Great catch catching a croc while wearing crocs gods advertiseing

Haha cheers @miniken!

They are “fake” Crocs that I bought for $5 about 12 years ago and they have copped some punishment! The only time I wear them are when I’m walking in water where there may be sharp rocks, shells etc. I am amazed that they are still holding up although certainly not in the “fashion sense” 😂

• Haha 1