Soft Plastic Storage

Berleyguts

So, how do you all store your soft plastics, so that can carry as many in your boat as possible? It will probably be another couple of weeks before I can hold a fishing rod after hand surgery - at least for lure casting with a single handed rod - I might be able to handle a light beach rod and Alvey. So, in the meantime, I’m tidying up my gear and the boat. The zipper on one of my old tackle wallets I used for SPS seized up, so I bought a different model with 19 pockets in one compartment  (10 on one side, 9 on the other), plus a plastic box for jig heads etc. in the other compartment. Thought I could combine 2 wallets into one. I’ve filled 10 pockets with my 7 inch ZMan Jerk Shads and other similar sized SPs (Squidgie paddle prawns etc.). I went to put the 5 inch and smaller plastics in the other 9 pockets and I won’t be able to fit them in - I can’t even close the compartment as it is! See photo attached. I haven’t even looked at the other old wallet with 3 inch grubs etc.!

What does everybody else do? I do like to take as much as I can in the boat with me. 🤷‍♂️😂

3C354DF5-FEA1-4C80-B5A7-F3D80C4795A6.jpeg

6 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

That is a lotttt of lures, I just have a small box with a couple of lures. I try to keep similar models, eg; vibes, divers, plastics together.

Is it?! 😂 I tend to lose quite a few when I go snapper fishing. @Scratchiewill probably tell you I lose them on the bottom mostly! 😂 I like to be prepared for anything, including rapid gear changes - always experimenting. I mostly fish solo, so I can pretty much carry as much as I want in my boat. I just like it organised and ready to hand. I just don’t understand why they’d make a 19 pouch wallet that really won’t take a pack of 3 or 4 plastics in each pouch! Go figure! 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Haha 2

Being an old tradie, when I had my boat I left my plastics in their original packs and stored them in the large, plastic boxes that nails and screws came in.

Each box held around 15 packs and held them upright, so Gulp juice leaking was never a problem. 

The boxes used to stack neatly under the rods in my rod locker where they were easily accessible.

If you can get your hands on some, give them a try. They’re cheap/free and work exceptionally well.

• Like 2

How much time do you spend rifling through all those trying to make up your mind which one to use - that would do my head in🤣🤣

I hate when the gulp juice gets out - stinking mongrel stuff it is 😷

Edited by XD351

Just now, XD351 said:

How much time do you spend rifling through all those trying to make up your mind which one to use - that would do my head in🤣🤣🤣

I do that too and 99% of the time I seem to come out with a 3 inch flick bait of sorts 🤣 Should just Marie-Kondo the rest out of my pack!

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

How much time do you spend rifling through all those trying to make up your mind which one to use - that would do my head in🤣🤣

I hate when the gulp juice gets out - stinking mongrel stuff it is 😷

Not long at all. They’re all sorted by size first, so all the 7 inch, then the 5 inch, then by colour, so I can see what I want straight away. I only have a few colours in each size. Offshore, I rarely fish smaller than 5 inch. I don’t use Gulp because of the leaks and the fact that they dry out and are useless then. I mainly use ZMan Jerk Shads but I do have some Squidgie patterns and some Halco Mad Eyes that a charter operator in WA gave me. Smaller plastics for inshore use on bream and flathead etc. would be in another container and I don’t worry about them offshore. 🤷‍♂️ 

I have a large plastic container. Holds heaps. Also have one for my fishing lines.

You can buy them at Bunnings,cheap.

They have different models. Also some come with wheels.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Have you tried dry lube on your seized zipper? I use a quick bit of wd40 or silicon spray to get it to budge, then rub the stick of dry lube on it, works great for me. Ive covered all the rippers on my tackle bag with it and they havent seized since 2018, ill admit it never comes on the kayaks, clostest to the water it ever comes is the warf or the beach. 

Hope it helps. I think it forms a sort of protective layer. I keep topping it up like every year. 

• Like 2