1.03 Meter Kayak Jewfish

kingfish101

Following the principle if it a'int broke don't fix it I followed the same battle plan that has served me well recently. Set off from Berowra Waters boat ramp before sunrise with the intention of catching bait on route and then pressing on to the Hawkesbury River and fishing both sides of the high water slack.

I keep a diary of all my fishing trips and previously I've been able to catch tailor for bait at this time of year but for the past couple of months this has not been successful.

It took nearly 3 hours to catch 2 good sized mullet in Joe Crafts Bay and with some frigate mackerel fillets as back up bait I headed for the river for what would now be a very short session on a falling tide.

The first mullet went down at 12.15 in an area protected from the current by some rocks. 10 meters or so off the shore the ebb was in full swing. 

Tried close and shallow initially and then moved further out near to the fast water. I always use a 5 meter mono leader to give me some idea of the depth and I got the hit in 8 meters of water. The fish ran wide into the current initially and then had a change of heart and made a beeline for the shore. Hardening up on the drag doesn't slow a big fish much when you are in a light and skinny kayak but it does allow you to gain some line and get closer to the quarry.

For the final scene the kayak was alongside the rocks with the fish on the surface and ready for the gaff.

This was a jewfish that hadn't read the script and didn't conform to the usual clean fight, hard first run, weaker second run. He was an exceptionally fat specimen and was still in the fight all the way to the end. 

10.5 hours total on the water, 6 of those spent paddling, 3 hours trying to catch bait, 1 hour for rest stops and less than 30 minutes actually fishing. 

P1010644.JPG

• Like 21

Nice Jewfish!

sometimes the livies just don’t turn up. In a boat you can quickly motor over to another location - in a kayak it can be a lot more of an effort as well as time consuming.

9 hours ago, kingfish101 said:

Following the principle if it a'int broke don't fix it I followed the same battle plan that has served me well recently. Set off from Berowra Waters boat ramp before sunrise with the intention of catching bait on route and then pressing on to the Hawkesbury River and fishing both sides of the high water slack.

I keep a diary of all my fishing trips and previously I've been able to catch tailor for bait at this time of year but for the past couple of months this has not been successful.

It took nearly 3 hours to catch 2 good sized mullet in Joe Crafts Bay and with some frigate mackerel fillets as back up bait I headed for the river for what would now be a very short session on a falling tide.

The first mullet went down at 12.15 in an area protected from the current by some rocks. 10 meters or so off the shore the ebb was in full swing. 

Tried close and shallow initially and then moved further out near to the fast water. I always use a 5 meter mono leader to give me some idea of the depth and I got the hit in 8 meters of water. The fish ran wide into the current initially and then had a change of heart and made a beeline for the shore. Hardening up on the drag doesn't slow a big fish much when you are in a light and skinny kayak but it does allow you to gain some line and get closer to the quarry.

For the final scene the kayak was alongside the rocks with the fish on the surface and ready for the gaff.

This was a jewfish that hadn't read the script and didn't conform to the usual clean fight, hard first run, weaker second run. He was an exceptionally fat specimen and was still in the fight all the way to the end. 

10.5 hours total on the water, 6 of those spent paddling, 3 hours trying to catch bait, 1 hour for rest stops and less than 30 minutes actually fishing. 

P1010644.JPG

Absolute thumper!

If that doesn't make your month nothing will.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:49 PM, kingfish101 said:

P1010644.JPG

Actually just read your past posts on jewie catches, you have a heck of a lot more luck that me!

Kingfish you better change your name!

Another magnificent fish and incredibly well conditioned. Just reward for the long hours and perseverance you have been putting in!

congrats man!