Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, nice and chilly against the breeze. Reduced  boat speed to avoid many floating sticks, logs, weed.

Anchored up from Lilli Pilli, the water colour looks normal, not brown.

Pulled out the salmon and trevally on fish baits, with the salmon being hooked in the gills and unlikely to survive. Also released a larger salmon, and a 68cm flattie which had swallowed the hook and was rather unhappy, no photo, hook cut off and it swam off strongly. A few small reddies and trumpeter taking the baits.

When the tide was heading up, I pumped some nippers and the westerly hit. Drifting was not good at all, too fast with the wind, hard to find a spot out of the wind, and the only bite was the larger whiting. I anchored in several spots for the flatties and other whiting, fish were hard to find. A couple of dropped fish when the hook pulled and that was it for several hours of fishing.

fish.jpeg.359_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Legend has it yowie grabs a floating stick as he motors past and spears fish while taking a sip of his morning coffee.

You need to make a montage of these. They are sooooo goood🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Still a lovely feed Yowie, well done. I went down onto the flats at Grays Point and got a couple of nice bream for a bit of fun. The water seems to have cleared up a bit.

Thank you. A couple of bream is worth the effort for heading out.

The wind kicked in fairly hard, after not much wind early on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good to hear the water has cleared up. That's a great feed Yowie. What do you do with the salmon? Bait or food?

I was going to make fish patties with the salmon, however, the whiting and flatties changed that. The salmon will now be salted for bait.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Legend has it yowie grabs a floating stick as he motors past and spears fish while taking a sip of his morning coffee.

Sounds a good idea. 🤣

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

A good feed there Yowie, plenty of sweet fillets and some sashimi too! You must have been rugged up🥶

Thank you. It was cool in the early morning, warmed a little when the sun popped up, then the bloody wind howled through and buggered the drift.

Just had a feed of bread crumbed and pan fried fillets, chips, veges, washed down with a bottle of riesling. :wine:

• Like 1

I always enjoy your posts Yowie, in particular the "artistic" presentation of the day's catch on the brag mat. You obviously know your locations and how to fish them judging by the variety which you get on most trips. Thanks for sharing the posts, maintains interest while there is nothing doing down here. bn

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

I always enjoy your posts Yowie, in particular the "artistic" presentation of the day's catch on the brag mat. You obviously know your locations and how to fish them judging by the variety which you get on most trips. Thanks for sharing the posts, maintains interest while there is nothing doing down here. bn

Thanks BN. I do know a couple of spots in the Hacking. :lol:

21 hours ago, Yowie said:

I was going to make fish patties with the salmon, however, the whiting and flatties changed that. The salmon will now be salted for bait.

How do the salmon go as bait?

Surprised to hear the water has cleared up...I wonder how long that'll last with this bout of rain though.

Nice mixed bag mate! Well done, will make some nice fillets.
quite a few salmon and trevally in the hacking the moment.
Can’t wait for this weather to clear up. If it’s not the wind, it’s the rain.

3 hours ago, Squidless said:

How do the salmon go as bait?

Surprised to hear the water has cleared up...I wonder how long that'll last with this bout of rain though.

Fairly good as salted bait, though I would prefer salted bonnie or tailor strips. The skin is tough.

Forecast is for 1 to 2 inches of rain, not a lot from recent times.

Edited by Yowie
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice mixed bag mate! Well done, will make some nice fillets.
quite a few salmon and trevally in the hacking the moment.
Can’t wait for this weather to clear up. If it’s not the wind, it’s the rain.

Thank you. The fillets were nice.

Overall, this year has been very ordinary weather wise. Rain, wind, swell. No point complaining though, as when the next drought arrives, there will be other types of complaints. 😂

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 7:55 PM, Yowie said:

Thank you. It was cool in the early morning, warmed a little when the sun popped up, then the bloody wind howled through and buggered the drift.

Just had a feed of bread crumbed and pan fried fillets, chips, veges, washed down with a bottle of riesling. :wine:

Now that’s how you finish’s fishing trip 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

@Fab1Mate you have the wrong costume on !!!

Sorry mate.I’m here at the ranp looking for Yowie for my first lesson and he hasn’t showed up.He must have misplaced his falsies and he’ll be here soon.I look like a dill in this and hope he gets here soon.

C014588E-9E17-481C-B2F7-981394E60056.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Sorry mate.I’m here at the ranp looking for Yowie for my first lesson and he hasn’t showed up.He must have misplaced his falsies and he’ll be here soon.I look like a dill in this and hope he gets here soon.

C014588E-9E17-481C-B2F7-981394E60056.jpeg

No wonder you catch nothing wearing that outfit. :074:

• Haha 1