Gymea Bay Baths

AlbertW

Hey Raiders,

Headed down to a new spot yesterday-Gymea bay baths got there at around 10 and started to mix burley of catfood and white bread. Also decided to try out sabiki rigs and had a bit of trouble with the packaging but managed to get there in the end. Both burley and sabiki rig worked pretty well and I managed to get a school of yakkas to start biting and swarming the burley. With a couple of other lads I met that day we managed to catch 5 yakkas altogether and then they stopped biting and everything else we got were grunters or trumpeters. The sabiki rigs are very effective in catching schools as I pulled out three trumpeters at once however the small hooks prove challenging to bait and rebait them as the slightest nibble would cause the pillie strips I was using to full off. All four of us chucked out live yakkas, unweighted on circle hooks and I got mine taken but didn't set the hook or the yakka might've swam off. Rest of the day was pretty eventful as hordes of people rolled in probably 20 or so people by the time I left only notable catches was a 60ish cm salmon landed on an unweighted pillie. Headed off at around 2 and had a hard time getting back up as I had bought a cart to carry my stuff and the way down is pretty steep and there are stairs at the end. Thought it was the end of that day but dad and I decided to go get hot dogs for lunch and saw that massive 20+ hordes of 40+ cm bream were feeding at the surface on bread chucked in by the hot dog stand. Threw in a motor oil zman grub and managed to land a tiny 20cm bream on the first cast which is a pretty good size for my first bream taken on a lure. In conclusion got skunked at Gymea but managed to get a bream during lunch.

Cheers,

Albert

• Like 9

Great stuff Albert, I have fished the baths a few times and the yakkas are plentiful but if not weighed down well they will tnagle you in other peoples lines (when it is busy) and if under the jetty will find any snag possible. Congrats on the bream, hope to see some more,

Well done.

• Like 2

Used to fish Gymea all the time. The thing is, once the yakkas leave, the only thing picking at your bait is either the tiny snapper or trumpeters. Another pet peeve is the monstrosity of 40 people (at one time) crowding the little area that everyone shares, which in turn leads to line tangles and blah blah blah. Good on you for getting out though. Gymea has been a spot known to produce kingies (at times), bonito, salmon and the like. Good luck on your further endeavours there.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 11:27 AM, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff Albert, I have fished the baths a few times and the yakkas are plentiful but if not weighed down well they will tnagle you in other peoples lines (when it is busy) and if under the jetty will find any snag possible. Congrats on the bream, hope to see some more,

Well done.

Yeah I was pretty lucky and only snagged once on the sabiki rig.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Yowie said:

The bream were feeding on floating bread, so you need to use a piece of floating bread crust, no sinker.

I wasn't prepared for anything haha, I just wanted to get a quick bite and ended up seeing the massive school of bream.

19 hours ago, Larkin said:

It can be like that down there. I’ve been a couple of times but never caught anything there. I guess it’s timing.

great report & well done on the bream

Yeah timing and experience, the fella who caught the salmon was part of a large group who I guess fish there all the time as they knew to take the corner.

18 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Used to fish Gymea all the time. The thing is, once the yakkas leave, the only thing picking at your bait is either the tiny snapper or trumpeters. Another pet peeve is the monstrosity of 40 people (at one time) crowding the little area that everyone shares, which in turn leads to line tangles and blah blah blah. Good on you for getting out though. Gymea has been a spot known to produce kingies (at times), bonito, salmon and the like. Good luck on your further endeavours there.

Yep caught about 30-40 trumpeters on my sabiki rig after the yakkas left so the hotspot time for yakkas is around 9-10

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Also another note: I have seen some fellow fishermen catch many squid at night. Maybe chuck out a squid jig and you might succeed in getting one. I've only caught one there (not my strong suit), but is definitely worth a try.

It was a bit too crowded to cast out another line but I'll definitely try next time if I go there

• Like 1