Fishing Rockhampton? Any advice?

big Neil

Considering a trip to Rockhampton and the Fitzroy River to (hopefully) tick off a Barramundi and Threadfin Salmon from the bucket list. Any members up that way or anybody got some advice on charter plus land based fishing ... (gear, etc).

Also, does a rod tube count as part of the 23kg luggage (stipulates 1 pce)...likely flying with Virgin?

Cheers, bn

Edited by big Neil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Considering a trip to Rockhampton and the Fitzroy River to (hopefully) tick off a Barramundi and Threadfin Salmon from the bucket list. Any members up that way or anybody got some advice on charter plus land based fishing ... (gear, etc).

Also, does a rod tube count as part of the 23kg luggage (stipulates 1 pce)...likely flying with Virgin?

Cheers, bn

Hey @big Neil, I don't know much about rod tubes but I would recommend a 3 pc or more travel rod inside your suit case. That's what I did for trout at Queenstown. But if you're going for a heavier rod which you probably are then I'd advise to call the airline and ask them or you can pay for extra luggage I guess. I was writing an article about transporting rods after I got back to new zealand and I guess its time to finish it now. If you decide on the trip good luck with it and I hope you tick off the bucket list like I did.

Cheers,

Albert

• Thanks 1

BN, I had a look and it seems it depends on your fare type how much baggage your allowed. The dearer the fare the more baggage your allowed. But I would think there is a maximum size.

I used to travel with a dive bag which was long but still in their parameters and fit a multi piece travelling rods in it ... but I packed them well in plastic water pipe and my clothing around it.

If you book a charter I guess gear would be supplied or you could ask before booking.

It seems they have a good fishery up there on the Fitzroy.

All the best mate. PM sent.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, big Neil said:

Cheers, bn

I went through Rockhampton a few weeks back, no fishing but had a look around and it would be great to fish there. I think Gladstone would also be good and I know there is a guide who fishes Awoonga.

I'm meeting a mate from Melbourne at Port Macquarie this saturday - he's flying up and I'm taking across enough rods for both of us so he doesn't have to pay extra luggage for the rod tube.

If you do make it to Rocky and you like seafood, I had the best plate of marinated char-grilled octopus I've ever had at a little restaurant opposite the river.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every airline was different. I used a homemade PVC tube for mine, they didn't bother weighing it each time and it went through the sports equipment category (different check in location usually). The main issue back then that I had to measure was the length. Different airlines had different length requirements.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks Jim. How r u travelling mate...not many fishing reports from you recently?

bn

Hey Neil,

Thanks for asking. I have been luking around mate but I havent been out for a very long time.

I was fully fit again after the foot surgery a while back but then we had a bad run with some older relatives needing our help. I was half way through a shed build at home with building materials in the driveway stopping me getting the boat out so even if I had the time I would have been able to get on the water.

In the last 12 months we lost a few family members on my wife's side and there were complex property issues to sort out. She wasnt in the best frame of mind to deal with all that so I have been dealing with the legal stuff.

I was selling part of my business so that took some serious energy.

So... been a little busy mate.

I can heard you thinking now... wasn't Jim about to retire?

Anyway, I decided I need a break so I am clearing the way for the boat  so it wont be long before you see a report from me.

Cheers

Jim

Hey Neil

I took a 2.3m rod tube with virgin last year going to Darwin 

There's a well reputed fishing guide in Rocky, I'll look his name up for you

Self guided jump on google and find some river access areas, I believe Rocky has some good landbased options 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Hey Neil,

Thanks for asking. I have been luking around mate but I havent been out for a very long time.

I was fully fit again after the foot surgery a while back but then we had a bad run with some older relatives needing our help. I was half way through a shed build at home with building materials in the driveway stopping me getting the boat out so even if I had the time I would have been able to get on the water.

In the last 12 months we lost a few family members on my wife's side and there were complex property issues to sort out. She wasnt in the best frame of mind to deal with all that so I have been dealing with the legal stuff.

I was selling part of my business so that took some serious energy.

So... been a little busy mate.

I can heard you thinking now... wasn't Jim about to retire?

Anyway, I decided I need a break so I am clearing the way for the boat  so it wont be long before you see a report from me.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for your detailed reply Jim. You certainly have been well occupied, that's for sure. Hopefully life will settle down to some sort of rationale for you and you will be ready for the fishing when the conditions are at their best. Look forward to following your ventures when you are ready, till then keep healthy. bn

5 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

Hey Neil

I took a 2.3m rod tube with virgin last year going to Darwin 

There's a well reputed fishing guide in Rocky, I'll look his name up for you

Self guided jump on google and find some river access areas, I believe Rocky has some good landbased options 

Thanks for that info Dave, I really need to get out and do some fishing and why not try to tick a few off the bucket list. Trust all is well with you and Amy, may head up your way at year's end. bn

Neil. I have never actually fished Rocky or the river, I have fished Gladstone and fished Awoonga fresh water lake several times fished 1770 and around Harvey Bay several times. There are several charters available but they are all well and truly way over my budget so IF you do a charter take plenty of the folding stuff with you.

In my opinion Threadfin Salmon will pull a equal sized Barramundi backwards they are equally as fantastic with the aerials and are every bit as good on the plate.

My PB Barra was 116cm and PB threadfin 86cm and the threadfin gave me a much more enjoyable fight.

If I was still young enough to go for these two species I would be heading for the Cape not Rocky

It's always windy in Rocky and you have to be very lucky to pick a day when you can actually get out for a decent fish as you really need to go several miles offshore to get onto the fish.

I have spent day after day watching the wind blow havoc with the banana trees , luckily I had free accommodation on the 5 trips I have had up that way. Sadly the 2 mates I used to stay with have both passed away so no longer have a base to stay.

Frank 

• Thanks 1