Clifton Gardens - 1 big strike

Edward1995

This morning I ventured out early to cast some top water lures under Clifton gardens. 

After seeing a couple of good boils just out of casting range, I switched to my popper (roosta 135) to try to draw something in. 

I had one big hit (likely a larger Sambo) but it didn’t take, and that was it.

2 hours later with nothing but a few tiny snapper (second rod with salted pillis on a circle hook)   I decided to pack it in and head home. 

the fact is, lots of good boils but you need a boat to get onto them. 

• Like 5

Try burleying heavily - it will bring those fish in close.

A bag of pillies chopped up into very small pieces, 1/2 loaf of bread, some chicken pellets all mixed in a large tub full of water. This is what I use (pic below) got it from Bunnings for about $10 and I have a small 1L bucket as a scoop - toss out a slurry scoop every 5 mins. 
You’ll be surprised how much it will increase your catch rate and bring those fish in

8A6CCC6F-20E6-4DA7-889D-695ABE3A38D9.thumb.jpeg.372723aac1d3218cf754b3be4b6acd41.jpeg

• Like 7

On 9/10/2022 at 8:44 PM, Larkin said:

Try burleying heavily - it will bring those fish in close.

A bag of pillies chopped up into very small pieces, 1/2 loaf of bread, some chicken pellets all mixed in a large tub full of water. This is what I use (pic below) got it from Bunnings for about $10 and I have a small 1L bucket as a scoop - toss out a slurry scoop every 5 mins. 
You’ll be surprised how much it will increase your catch rate and bring those fish in

8A6CCC6F-20E6-4DA7-889D-695ABE3A38D9.thumb.jpeg.372723aac1d3218cf754b3be4b6acd41.jpeg

When you say bring fish in close, what do you mean exactly?

And by heavily, do you mean 1 ball of berley every 30 mins?

21 hours ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

When you say bring fish in close, what do you mean exactly?

And by heavily, do you mean 1 ball of berley every 30 mins?

Hi Hawksbury,

Works on piers and deep water locations where kingies, salmon & trevelly frequent. Or any area that you see boils of predatory fish.

It’ll bring them in close, 2-4m in front of the pier.

Fill 30L tub up with 20L seawater, 2kg pillies, loaf of bread mushed up, 1kg chicken pellets or pellet burley. Like a pilchard soup. Take a cup or scoop with you. 

every 3-5 minutes toss out a scoop of burley (250-500ml) and keep doing this with regularity. Directly in front within a few meters of where your fishing - deep water location like a pier or wharf.

unweighted cut baits or livebaits directly into the burley trail.

I saw 3 guys doing this and watched them catch kingy after kingy. One guy worked the burley scoop while the other 2 kept their baits in the burley trail. Other people on the wharf were catching nothing.

I now do this when I fish land based off wharfs and my catch rate has increased dramatically. Mates who I’ve told to do this have caught their largest land based fish.

it’s nothing new to burley up, but it’s the quantity of burley used and regularity of tossing out a scoop every 3-5 minutes that makes this work. 

Think of the scene off jaws when Ron Schneider is chumming the water 😂 

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Hi Hawksbury,

Works on piers and deep water locations where kingies, salmon, trevelly frequent. Or any area that you see boils of predatory fish.

bring them in close, I mean 2-4m in front of the pier.

Fill 30L tub up with 20L seawater, 2kg pillies, loaf of bread mushed up, 1kg chicken pellets or pellet burley. Like a pilchard soup. Take a cup or scoop with you. 

every 3-5 minutes toss out a scoop of burley (250-500ml) and keep doing this with regularity. Directly in front within a few meters of where your fishing - deep water location like a pier or wharf.

unweighted baits directly into the burley or livebaits directly in the burley trail.

I saw 3 guys doing this and watched them catch kingy after kingy. One guy worked the burley while the other 2 kept their baits in the burley trail. Other people on the wharf were catching nothing.

I now do this when I fish land based off wharfs and my catch rate has increased dramatically. Mates who I’ve told to do this have caught their largest land based fish.

it’s not new to burley up, but it’s the quantity of burley used and regularity of tossing out a scoop full that makes this work. 

Think of the scene off jaws when Ron Schneider is chumming there water 😂 

Would this work off a Pier or Wharf on low tide?

Edited by HawkesburyParadise

11 hours ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

Would this work off a Pier or Wharf on low tide?

Always worth a try. The best time to go fishing is whenever you can be on the water!

I have heard that berleying is crucial to spots like Clifton Gardens. Makes the difference between donutting and a bonanza. I've never done well there, but I haven't fished there the way @Larkin has suggested. Simple bait, simple berley with easily procured ingredients, the simplest rig (a hook tied to the end of the line...and nothing else!) It's amazing how simple a lot of the best fishing methods are, but how few people actually practice them properly (guilty as charged).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1