St. George’s Basin Again

Isaac Ct

Gday raiders, another couple sessions in the basin going my way. 
With my dad heading back to Sydney for work my mum joined me on the boat on Monday for a fish. She’s never really been into fishing so props to her for coming out. Started with prawns as again I was too lazy to get any sort of decent bait. Started at the goalposts and got 3 big stingrays, not encouraging when your mum is staring at you as if to say ‘are you trying to kill me?’ Nevertheless we left after the 3rd and started a drifted along the southern side of the basin. In about 2 and half hours of that my mum managed a nice flattie (37cm) after she was calling my dad and telling him how bored she was. She couldn’t believe it when the rod bent over😅.  I managed a bream that smashed the prawn not to long after the tide turn. Went quiet after that.

A807E9CC-C67D-4B7A-A194-E33AA079546B.thumb.jpeg.3fe02972a9267c790ba58caf783fa4a8.jpeg

Today was a very different story, the weather report said rain all day but I had look at the radar (BOM is a very good website for rain radars, highly recommended) and in my imagination the showers where offshore and I was right!! Not a single boat on the basin, they must’ve all been afraid of the rain😝. We only had about an hour to fish so went straight to the drift we caught the fish on Monday. This time I had been bothered to pump some nippers and we had those out. Wasn’t long before I had a bite, sort of a rat tat tat. Missed it. Same thing happened 3 times before FINALLY I hooked into the fish and boy did it hate that. It went for a solid run before starting to swim around the boat. Instantly I call for a trevally and a couple of minutes later a nice Trev is chilling away in the esky. After that shot into the inlet for half an hour for the tide change and anchored, I have found if you don’t get within about 30 mins of either side of the tide the current will be very annoying as will the amount of weed flowing through the channel. Lost a good fish that felt like a Trev and then on the last nipper(I know very cliché) I managed the flattie. It fought well and I honestly thought it was a bream the way it was swimming and the amount of head shakes. Both went to some friends.

ABEFF7D1-3155-474B-9B36-39AB26966BAF.thumb.jpeg.c016d0e42012e39fc2fdb62becb2b624.jpeg

Cheers, Isaac. 

• Like 12

Just now, Green Hornet said:

Good going Isaac, that’s a couple of real nice fish.

I know what your saying about the weed in The Inlet, it seems to be getting worse every year.

Cheers Pete, it can be such a pain when fishing. I’ve started to fish the basin more than the inlet now because of it. The depths and weed beds have also changed and shifted in the inlet.

5 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Cheers Pete, it can be such a pain when fishing. I’ve started to fish the basin more than the inlet now because of it. The depths and weed beds have also changed and shifted in the inlet.

Funny, the weed beds and flotsam that washes up on the shore has increased dramatically since the netters were booted from The Basin 20 odd years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ali2196 said:

Seeing mums face when onto a good fish is priceless, cherish these times forever, solid effort mate

Thanks mate, it’s nice to take her fishing for a change.

39 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Great report mate, well done on the fish and the time with your mum. My mum likes to take photos, but never fishes!

Cheers mate, anything to make them happy is a win.

31 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

Great see that you take your parents put for a fish.

Cheers mate, better than fishing alone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Good work on the fish, nearly as good as fishing in the Hacking. 🤣

Nah, you wait. Ima catch a big one.

30 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Well done on the fish!

love it when non regular fishos get onto some fish - their faces light up when they hook up. Good on her for getting out there with you!

Thanks mate, it was fun out there.

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great report and photos Isaac. A great feeling getting the folks onto a few fish...memories for the future. Keep up the good work.

bn

Thanks BN, I like taking them out. My mums dad used to go sailing in the hacking when she was a kid and my dads dad went fishing in dapro growing up so they enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Squidless said:

Great report. Goes to show fresh bait makes a difference and worth the effort if you have time. Great photos too.

Thanks mate, it makes the difference all the time. If I’m bothered to try and get it.

• Like 3