aluminium boat leak repairs ,

dotB

5 hours ago, dotB said:

nice rig , not ready to get something yet Frank , Also at our age we need something with a windscreen  and some sort of a canopy , thank you for the offer.

OK You're not ready yet.

I do have a windscreen for the boat. I took it off to make way for the electric motor and to be able to get to the anchor well that these boats don't usually have. I also have a brand new still in box bimini 4 poster that is not on the boat.

there is a full travel cover and a camping set up that fits the boat but I have not bothered ever fitting these extras.

2065973567_brookercovered1.thumb.jpg.5ca345b8467bb6e4c1c65cb8adebf3d4.jpg

2045321844_brookercampingcover.thumb.jpg.c142f4b762b4d42c6522d27db818963c.jpg

1065908164_brookercanopycover.thumb.jpg.0701d6156dfda0dc9d6926f3045ce866.jpg

It just takes a while to set everything up and then there's storage for the bulk canvas, so I have taken it all off as I will never use it.

It is all here for anyone that wants it when they buy the boat.

BTW These added photos is how I bought the boat. it had a 30hp Yamaha on it but the carby was off it so I have never had it running. still got the motor and the guy I bought it off said the motor was a good one and he only took the carby off to clean it, I bought the boat before he cleaned it.

IF anyone wants the boat with the Yamaha instead of the Mercury I could swap them over as I still have motor and controls but they would need to re-fit the carby and it would need a new impella by now as it hasn't run since I bought the boat.

Also the boat has an extra plate of alloy welded into the transom so it is twice as thick as the original transom so larger motor could be fitted.

Frank

Edited by frankS
added text
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 12:02 AM, dotB said:

just the boat  ,   although to start with i will have t buy a used trailer  in ok condition, and a used motor also.

Hi

whats your total budget if you thinking of paying $2k just for a boat, the trailer will be probably another $1k and depending on motor age / condition another $3k

2 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hi

whats your total budget if you thinking of paying $2k just for a boat, the trailer will be probably another $1k and depending on motor age / condition another $3k

It’s 2k budget for the lot mate they want.You don’t get much for that from what I’ve seen.

On 10/7/2022 at 3:13 AM, dotB said:

nice rig , not ready to get something yet Frank , Also at our age we need something with a windscreen  and some sort of a canopy , thank you for the offer.

A windscreen usually means forward controls. It makes for a very hard ride sitting up forward on a small tinnie - as well as making it hard to fit an electric motor. I would be sticking to tiller control for a small tinnie. 

PS: how do plan on getting the boat home if you are going to buy the trailer separately (buying the trailer first will limit your choice of boat)? It would also generally save a lot of running around to buy a BMT as a package. 

Edited by slowjigger

58 minutes ago, slowjigger said:

A windscreen usually means forward controls. It makes for a very hard ride sitting up forward on a small tinnie - as well as making it hard to fit an electric motor. I would be sticking to tiller control for a small tinnie. 

PS: how do plan on getting the boat home if you are going to buy the trailer separately (buying the trailer first will limit your choice of boat)? It would also generally save a lot of running around to buy a BMT as a package. 

Read the post he wants the lot for 2k.Boat,motor,trailer.As for small Tinnys sitting up front or standing mine slices through chop like butter.Don’t know if it’s because it has about 300kg of weight up front or what.😂😂

9 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Read the post he wants the lot for 2k.Boat,motor,trailer.As for small Tinnys sitting up front or standing mine slices through chop like butter.Don’t know if it’s because it has about 300kg of weight up front or what.😂😂

I didn't say anything about the price in that post. I was just talking about the practicalities of buying the boat, trailer, motor separately (as per his explanation). The price is a different issue. Though given you have mentioned it he did say 'just the boat' when I asked him about the 2K budget.    

Edited by slowjigger

Just a hint for anybody buying a 2nd hand tinnie.  If it has a ply floor, make sure you lift it to check underneath.   Not only to check for electrolysis issues, but the condition hidden under there is a good indicator of how well it has been looked after.  Also be wary of rigs that haven't been used for a long time.   Good luck.   Ron 

On 10/4/2022 at 1:15 AM, dotB said:

but our budget only allows us  to buy boats that most of you would not bother buying  because they are so old ,eg. $2000

On 10/6/2022 at 12:02 AM, dotB said:
On 10/4/2022 at 6:41 AM, slowjigger said:

Does $2000 include a trailer and motor? You will have to worry about their condition as well.

just the boat  ,   although to start with i will have t buy a used trailer  in ok condition, and a used motor also.

21 hours ago, Fab1 said:

It’s 2k budget for the lot mate they want.You don’t get much for that from what I’ve seen.

That is what i was trying to work out, originally, they said $2k as a budget guide and then mentioned that $2k was just for the boat and he would buy the trailer and motor separate

$2k for everything is going to make it a small tinny purchase, something like a 3.7mtr alloy, 9.9hp maybe a 15hp tiller steer with a basic trailer.

But if he has $2k for boat and another $2k for trailer and motor he jumps up a little to a 4 or 4.2mtr tinny and a 25 - 30hp tiller or an older forward steer.

7 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

That is what i was trying to work out, originally, they said $2k as a budget guide and then mentioned that $2k was just for the boat and he would buy the trailer and motor separate

$2k for everything is going to make it a small tinny purchase, something like a 3.7mtr alloy, 9.9hp maybe a 15hp tiller steer with a basic trailer.

But if he has $2k for boat and another $2k for trailer and motor he jumps up a little to a 4 or 4.2mtr tinny and a 25 - 30hp tiller or an older forward steer.

Yes, it seems a very odd approach compared to just buying a registered boat, motor and trailer, ie a going concern. Also, there is a better chance of getting a water test which will show up leaks and cracks more readily than a visual inspection. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Like I said 2k buys bugger all from what I’ve seen.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, slowjigger said:

Yes, it seems a very odd approach compared to just buying a registered boat, motor and trailer, ie a going concern. Also, there is a better chance of getting a water test which will show up leaks and cracks more readily than a visual inspection. 

That approach would be a no brainer for me.Either I’m going blind or I can’t see where they state they want to pay 2k for just the hull.Im sure it was for the whole boat.

I just re-read post and they mention they’d pay 2k for example for the boat.

I don’t know about all you but if I talk to someone about buying a boat I mean buying a boat,trailer,motor not just a hull.

This person wants a complete boat but we still don’t know how much they can afford as they used 2k as an example in original post.

1 hour ago, slowjigger said:
  • I was going by this exchange:
  On 10/4/2022 at 6:41 AM, slowjigger said:

Does $2000 include a trailer and motor? You will have to worry about their condition as well.

I’m going blind.Missed it completely.

On 10/9/2022 at 6:56 PM, campr said:

Just a hint for anybody buying a 2nd hand tinnie.  If it has a ply floor, make sure you lift it to check underneath.   Not only to check for electrolysis issues, but the condition hidden under there is a good indicator of how well it has been looked after.  Also be wary of rigs that haven't been used for a long time.   Good luck.   Ron 

thank you for  the tip, i will do what you said  , 

On 10/10/2022 at 7:57 PM, Fab1 said:

I’m going blind.Missed it completely.

after reading all the comments  we decided to  wait  and add to our budget  before we buy something , thank you for your reply 

On 10/10/2022 at 5:13 PM, slowjigger said:

true what you said , but buying a registered (package ) is quite expensive for us ,   buying everything separate will be much easier  money wise,           it can take a long time but  you could end up with  a better rig at the end  for less money , it really depends on what is available out there and what the seller is willing to accept for it  , just saying .  we are not ready  to buy anything yet . 

In my opinion it is much cheaper to buy a package deal rather then buy seperate. Most 2nd hand motors worth buying are generally as much if not more than many package deals.

Small 12 foot tinnies are cheap but once you start getting into 14 foot and larger cheap boats are hard to find, Lots of cheapish fibreglass boats about with very old motors on them.

Frank

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, frankS said:

In my opinion it is much cheaper to buy a package deal rather then buy seperate. Most 2nd hand motors worth buying are generally as much if not more than many package deals.

Small 12 foot tinnies are cheap but once you start getting into 14 foot and larger cheap boats are hard to find, Lots of cheapish fibreglass boats about with very old motors on them.

Frank

And less headaches usually.One persons cheap is another persons expensive.One thing pepper don’t realise is buying the boat is the easy bit..Being able to afford to run,service and maintain it is a whole other kettle of fish.

A bit like owning horses.Buying the horse is the cheap easy part..Ask me how I know.

8 hours ago, frankS said:

Frank

years ago   a mate owned  a  Marlin fiberglass boat , very well looked after , never taken offshore , one night we discovered  that it has a hairline crack under  the hull  (could not see it )  if we tried   while we were fishing in the bay ,  we got back to the  ramp  but it took  about 4 minutes before we got all the water out of the  bilge  theres no way im getting on an old fiberglass  boat ever again !,  one day i will own a  14 + tinny  that i will install kapstan collars to   so that i can do  do a bit of drifting/bottom bouncing   out side when theres  a very good day for it ,   i agree , with what your saying about buying  a a package i look constantly ,   every now and  then theres some really good deals out there,  eg  garaged all the time  older  well maintained  good quinnys  14.5ft windshield  front drive canopy  old but excellent 25 //30hp  motors   for about 4 grand   ,   its a waiting  game  and you need to be very quick and have the money for it , that i do not  right now , 

5 hours ago, dotB said:

years ago   a mate owned  a  Marlin fiberglass boat , very well looked after , never taken offshore , one night we discovered  that it has a hairline crack under  the hull  (could not see it )  if we tried   while we were fishing in the bay ,  we got back to the  ramp  but it took  about 4 minutes before we got all the water out of the  bilge  theres no way im getting on an old fiberglass  boat ever again !,  one day i will own a  14 + tinny  that i will install kapstan collars to   so that i can do  do a bit of drifting/bottom bouncing   out side when theres  a very good day for it ,   i agree , with what your saying about buying  a a package i look constantly ,   every now and  then theres some really good deals out there,  eg  garaged all the time  older  well maintained  good quinnys  14.5ft windshield  front drive canopy  old but excellent 25 //30hp  motors   for about 4 grand   ,   its a waiting  game  and you need to be very quick and have the money for it , that i do not  right now , 

Was that a Marlin Billfisher? They were foamed filled. I would trust an old fiberglass boat more than an old aluminium boat. The latter does funny things when it gets old - corrosion, metal fatigue, cracked welds. Fiberglass is at least more amenable to repairs - you can do it yourself too. 

As others have said it will be probably more expensive buying the components separately. You mentioned a budget of 2K - that should get a package if you go for something a bit smaller and older.