aluminium boat leak repairs ,

dotB

hello everyone, were thinking about buying a tinny  but our budget only allows us  to buy boats that most of you would not bother buying  because they are so old ,eg. $2000   (if you feel that i should not be buying these sort of boats i understand but this is all i can afford and i will be doing it ) ,        most of these  may or will have  leak issues at some stage , how  do you fix those issues ?  what is the best way to repair  a hole   or a crack for those of us that do not know how to weld  aluminium ? are there fix it and forget it options  ?  there's  a lot of different ideas out there at the moment specially if you buy things from the US  but i dont know what is the best option , any ideas would be very helpful , thank you  all for reading  this 

Something to add,  cracks in aluminium boats can be a major expense, they are usually caused by abuse, poor design or cheap construction, especially along the keel and chines, do not take this issue lightly, holes caused by rocks and stuff like that are a completely different kettle of fish.

Like yourself I too am in the position where I have to buy the cheap OLD and sometimes neglected water craft.

Fortunately I have the equipment and know how to carry out pretty well any repairs that are needed, ( motor excluded ) .

For people like you and me there are ways that can be rewarding with cheap stuff that can do a reasonable job of repairing OLD aluminium.

Too complicated to explain the products and methods in a site like this unless I go into real detail which to be blunt, I just haven't the time to properly explain all that is needed to do the job. and there would be a risk of naming products etc which MAY break site rules.

One thing I will say is any sort of repairs done to aluminium boats is that the area MUST be absolutely clean of any salt OR contamination of any sort.

What area do you live ?. I am in Berala and only a PM away for any assistance I could offer.

Frank

• Like 4

Some of those older aluminium boats are better than the new ones mate.As others have said tig welding is the go with aluminium or brazing.There’s products like knead it for patch work too if needed.

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Too complicated to explain the products and methods in a site like this unless I go into real detail which to be blunt, I just haven't the time to properly explain all that is needed to do the job. and there would be a risk of naming products etc which MAY break site rules.

Frank

Go ahead Frank no problems naming products at all to describe your methods. The people can use google to find it or do their own research to get the best price. 

• Like 1

OK Donna Thank you.

Firstly I will just give a brief rundown of the products available and the methods to use them as perhaps DotB may not hang around to view them, but others may be interested.

As Fab1 pointed out there is Selleys Aqua Knead It. This is a roll of putty like substance that you cut a portion off as needed and you knead it into a usable blob of putty, that's pretty well all it is, putty. I find it best to apply with wet hands, fingers and you press the putty into the affected area. The putty then hardens and for what it is it does a fairly good cheap job.

Can't stress enough the affected area must be clean and a stainless steel brush is prefered with all clean up work.

2nd product is J B Weld this is a 2 part type putty where you mix 2 equal portions to form a solution that is pressed/wiped onto/into cracks and holes etc and hardens to a very similar bond to the original alloy, can be sanded drilled etc and is probably the easiest way for a complete novice to repair holes and cracks in alloy boats. Once again the preparation is critical.

Next comes a stick that you heat the affected area and wipe the stick onto the crack etc , next best thing to welding.

I won't name this product as it still requires a bit of skill to perform a good finish.

Next is actual welding I used to do all my alloy welding with a M I G machine and alloy wire, since I bought my T I G machine my 2 MIG machines just collect dust, they have not been switched on.

There is a lot of skill required to weld Alloy successfully and most of it is in the preparation as with most things rush the prep work and the finished job suffers.

Frank 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just mulling over buying a small MIG, there's some pretty cheap ones around now, most do MIG, stick and DC TIG (no good for aluminium) my old stick welder got flooded in the last rain we had, so it's now "gone to god"

45 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just mulling over buying a small MIG, there's some pretty cheap ones around now, most do MIG, stick and DC TIG (no good for aluminium) my old stick welder got flooded in the last rain we had, so it's now "gone to god"

I thought about buying one too but simply can’t justify the expense to have it sitting in the shed doing Bugger all like my other 2 welders.Welders are rarely used tools here that are nice to have but infrequently used.

• Like 1

Oneof my neighbors bought an old tinny that had about 20 holes in it where things used to be bolted to it.  He cleaned them up and used a putty designed for aluminium.  After sanding smooth and a coat of paint you couldn't find them and all was still good 5 years later when he sold it.  Ron 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 6:31 AM, noelm said:

The only way to properly repair (not just patch) is to pay to get it welded, that said, not all cheaper boats will be in unsafe condition, there's plenty around if you look.

don't know what they charge for Aluminium repairs  but i get a feeling it will be expensive, thank you  for your reply .

On 10/4/2022 at 6:41 AM, slowjigger said:

Does $2000 include a trailer and motor? You will have to worry about their condition as well.

just the boat  ,   although to start with i will have t buy a used trailer  in ok condition, and a used motor also.

On 10/4/2022 at 9:48 AM, noelm said:

Something to add,  cracks in aluminium boats can be a major expense, they are usually caused by abuse, poor design or cheap construction, especially along the keel and chines, do not take this issue lightly, holes caused by rocks and stuff like that are a completely different kettle of fish.

we will be going over  the hull   and checking every inch of it  , i will also stay away from resprayed  aluminium boats , 

On 10/4/2022 at 12:32 PM, frankS said:

Like yourself I too am in the position where I have to buy the cheap OLD and sometimes neglected water craft.

Fortunately I have the equipment and know how to carry out pretty well any repairs that are needed, ( motor excluded ) .

For people like you and me there are ways that can be rewarding with cheap stuff that can do a reasonable job of repairing OLD aluminium.

One thing I will say is any sort of repairs done to aluminium boats is that the area MUST be absolutely clean of any salt OR contamination of any sort.

What area do you live ?. I am in Berala and only a PM away for any assistance I could offer.

Frank

Edited by dotB

5 hours ago, dotB said:

we will be going over  the hull   and checking every inch of it  , i will also stay away from resprayed  aluminium boats , 

Buy bare aluminium.Painted ally boats just look pretty for a while.

8 hours ago, dotB said:

just the boat  ,   although to start with i will have t buy a used trailer  in ok condition, and a used motor also.

DotB. I can sell you a 14' tinnie that doesn't need any repairs all decked out with motor trailer all registered and ready for the water with bow mount motor live bait tank colour sounder  rod holders etc .

OR a 14 ' Quintrex bare hull that has been sand blasted ready for paint .

See add in Sale section on this forum

PM me if you are interested

2073785795_gumtree1.thumb.JPG.80e7d311cf40e241b85592ac53607a16.JPG

Frank

• Like 2

19 hours ago, frankS said:

DotB. I can sell you a 14' tinnie that doesn't need any repairs all decked out with motor trailer all registered and ready for the water with bow mount motor live bait tank colour sounder  rod holders etc .

OR a 14 ' Quintrex bare hull that has been sand blasted ready for paint .

See add in Sale section on this forum

PM me if you are interested

2073785795_gumtree1.thumb.JPG.80e7d311cf40e241b85592ac53607a16.JPG

Frank

nice rig , not ready to get something yet Frank , Also at our age we need something with a windscreen  and some sort of a canopy , thank you for the offer.

21 hours ago, slowjigger said:

A water test would be better at shoeing up leaks. 

true that , but i dont think many of the sellers would want to take the boat out to get it tested and from what ive seen most boats and trailers  that are cheap do not have rego etc

On 10/6/2022 at 12:30 AM, dotB said:

we live at Ryde , thank you very much for the offer , if i ever need any assistance it will be for something  small, i would not buy something that will need major work done to it , i will let you know ,