if you thought you have seen it all take a look at the price for Wirrah cod!

leonardgid

best part is the  way they are trying to con people into buying it ,   the following is from an  online site = that delivers to the metro area but they do not have  an address to be found 

Simply fish’licious! Looking for something new to bring to the table? The Eastern Wirrah belongs to the rock cod family predominantly found near rocky reefs in the northeast to the southeast part of Australia. It is covered by small blue-centred spots and is majorly yellow to green in colour. It’s mostly caught by anglers, often called the Old Boot. Its moist flesh is white, firm, without any unwanted markings and is exuding a pleasant fresh ocean smell.

Easter Wirrah has a mild flavour, and moist flesh with large flakes, they also have few bones which can be easily removed. To prepare this stunning whole fish, score it at its thickest part of the flesh for easy heat penetration, from there you either steam, pan-fry, bake or grill it. This firm fish is also great in curries, casseroles and soups.

Eastern-Wirrah

Fresh Wild-Caught Australian Eastern Wirrah per kg

$45.99      at that price  most other  top rate fish like coral trout  are   more affordable  whole per kilo. and they charge a  small $9 delivery  fee in the metro area

Eastern-Wirrah_695x695.jpg

Edited by leonardgid
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

The biggest "issue" is, just like Red Rock Cod, the fillet tends to curl up into a ball when cooked, but if you skin them, and hold them flat with a spatula for a bit, they are OK, steaming is kind of OK, because the heat is "different" to frying. The flesh return for the size of the fish is pretty poor, you only get a tiny fillet off even a decent size one, I don't know why, but they only seem to come in one size, never seen or caught a small one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, masterfisho7 said:

Never eaten one before but they look like a good eating fish 

steamed  asian style  would be the best way for them ,  

41 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

@leonardgid @bessell1955 no word of a joke, there are people out there who will pay that for a Wirrah! Any of the cod-like rock species is very much valued by the Chinese community. I've eaten a few in my lifetime (that my family have paid for). As Noel says, firm white flesh. They steam up nicely.

i bet this post will have some raiders thinking  about taking one for the table next time they catch one , personally i would eat one  but  only if theres nothing better.

• Like 1

Clean the slime off the skin before cleaning and they come up okay. I’ve eaten plenty of worse tasting fish.

The aboriginal people down my way boil and make a soup out of them that they call muckindi (spelling may be wrong). Its bloody delicious!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Clean the slime off the skin before cleaning and they come up okay. I’ve eaten plenty of worse tasting fish.

The aboriginal people down my way boil and make a soup out of them that they call muckindi (spelling may be wrong). Its bloody delicious!!

Might have to try keep a couple, I have caught a few of the rocks down your way as well. I’ve seen others keeping them.

Edited by Isaac Ct
  • Like 2

My mate caught a striped fish in Bate Bay earlier this year. When I said it looked like a Wirrah, it was tossed back in. Later identified as a Striped Wirrah by my mate. It had a few black spots, but also vertical bars along the body, and an ugly wirrah head and mouth. 🤣

Still would not try eating one. :wacko:

Edited by Yowie

I only ever tried cooking one once, it shriveled up into a ball of unsightly mess so I threw it into the bin and put it down to me having the pan too hot and have never talen another one home.

Sweep would be the next fish that is treated as rubbish. My mate eats them and are easy to catch so a cheap meal.

Seargent baker you can get a small fillet from bum hole down that cooks up OK 

Frank

• Like 1

Very interesting @leonardgid, was this article in local paper?

Taste and taste preferences are interesting. I looove kingfish, but 20 years ago they were “cat food” and as cheap as yellowtail in the fish markets - today (last week) I was in Adelaide markets and one fish monger had them for $79.99 kg.

I also caught a purple spotted cod a few weeks back and it was absolutely delicious.

I have eaten Wirral and Kelpies when I was a beginning fisho in 1960’, but still remember the iodine taste and as a bootie’, don’t catch them much now, so the temptation no longer occurs.

16 hours ago, Pickles said:

Taste and taste preferences are interesting. I looove kingfish, but 20 years ago they were “cat food” and as cheap as yellowtail in the fish markets - today (last week) I was in Adelaide markets and one fish monger had them for $79.99 kg.

I also caught a purple spotted cod a few weeks back and it was absolutely delicious.

I have eaten Wirral and Kelpies when I was a beginning fisho in 1960’, but still remember the iodine taste and as a bootie’, don’t catch them much now, so the temptation no longer occurs.

it was from a sydney seafood delivery 

it was from an online seafood delivery retailer , NO address phone number only ,