Towing a boat with a cab chassis ute

Volitan

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

@dunc333Thanks for taking interest in our ramps.

The council says it is the NSW  Government's  problem.

There are heaps of ramps which is a good thing. They just need repairing.

Cheers.

I’ll swap your ramps for Sydney roads.It’s a disgrace.8F9ACDB9-5F20-44AA-A77D-DCB7F63D2F74.jpeg.66a712cff064676458d7eb0314fb1987.jpeg

• Haha 1

Looking after ramps is very complicated, there is a few Gov parties involved, and getting all of them to agree to anything is near impossible, you do hear lots of "buzz words" though!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, noelm said:

Looking after ramps is very complicated, there is a few Gov parties involved, and getting all of them to agree to anything is near impossible, you do hear lots of "buzz words" though!

Our ramps are within the Batemans Bay marine park area, council seem to haven problems maintaining the ramps here. Not sure why this would be an issue in other locations.

Because they fall under local council, land and environment, maritime, state, and a couple of others all claim an interest, until money is mentioned, then the fingers start pointing! I have been part of a public "working party" involved in three local ramps, we met first off with local council, and a boating perspective was presented, after near on a year of to and fro, some funds were made available, "they" built some gardens and seats, resealed the parking area and deleted about 10 trailer parking spots. Nothing was done to the ramp at all......a few years later, the same approach was made to actually fix a local ramp, once again all sorts of "stake holders" popped up, but in the end, a substantial grant was obtained. The ramp was closed for months while work was carried out, unfortunately, the 2.5 lane ramp ended up with one side about 200mm higher than the other, so a slope bit was added in the centre. Not that the work carried out is relevant in this discussion, but, it points out how complicated anything to do with the "waters edge" becomes. It involves dry land, (parking etc) the actual high and low tide line, and the actual bottom under the water, all very different departments.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, noelm said:

Because they fall under local council, land and environment, maritime, state, and a couple of others all claim an interest, until money is mentioned, then the fingers start pointing! I have been part of a public "working party" involved in three local ramps, we met first off with local council, and a boating perspective was presented, after near on a year of to and fro, some funds were made available, "they" built some gardens and seats, resealed the parking area and deleted about 10 trailer parking spots. Nothing was done to the ramp at all......a few years later, the same approach was made to actually fix a local ramp, once again all sorts of "stake holders" popped up, but in the end, a substantial grant was obtained. The ramp was closed for months while work was carried out, unfortunately, the 2.5 lane ramp ended up with one side about 200mm higher than the other, so a slope bit was added in the centre. Not that the work carried out is relevant in this discussion, but, it points out how complicated anything to do with the "waters edge" becomes. It involves dry land, (parking etc) the actual high and low tide line, and the actual bottom under the water, all very different departments.

That first group of muppets that deleted the 10 trailer parking spots would of won the most intelligent brain cell group award of the year for sure.

• Like 1

I have a ford Ranger 4wd and i have only once or maybe twice needed to use 4wd to get of a ramp, that was at Shoal Bay on a king low tide.

So for 7yrs with an average 20 launches a year, I only use 2wd and just a gently throttle and away we go towing my 1.3t boat, even my mates 1.8t boat has been no drama on a slippery ramp with a light throttle press.

I have a 2wd workmate hilux that i tow my 4.9m quintrex with it all the time, its the only car i have to do it. Yep have had to re-think my fishing plans a few times when i have got to ramps when they are very average but majority of times im completely fine, be prepared to do a bit of winching evey now and then and recommend using a wheel chock for a bit of security but orherwise youll be fine. My local ramp is terrible for weed etc but i have always managed to make it work, always check the ramp before you launch just to be sure if your worried. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rozza_b said:

I have a 2wd workmate hilux that i tow my 4.9m quintrex with it all the time, its the only car i have to do it. Yep have had to re-think my fishing plans a few times when i have got to ramps when they are very average but majority of times im completely fine, be prepared to do a bit of winching evey now and then and recommend using a wheel chock for a bit of security but orherwise youll be fine. My local ramp is terrible for weed etc but i have always managed to make it work, always check the ramp before you launch just to be sure if your worried. 

Something as basic and so easy to deploy as a simple chock works a treat doesn’t it?They work even better with a rope attached to them.