Towing a boat with a cab chassis ute

Volitan

Hi. I’m thinking of buying a boat. I’m probably looking at something in the 15 to 18ft category. Preferably something I can launch and retrieve on my own if need be.

My current concern is my only car is a Toyota Hilux Workmate - manual cab chassis ute (ie 2 seater with an aluminium tray on the back). Anyone who’s driven one of these unladen will know they slide about a fair bit at the back - especially in the wet. I have concerns about how they will get traction on a steep, wet boat ramp too. We live near the Pretty Beach (Central Coast) boat ramp and it would be ideal to use that but it does look a bit steep and a bit neglected.

I don’t currently want to sell the Ute or buy another car. I bought it when owner-building our home and it’s been great - it has a lot more work to do though with landscaping and building our garage still to be done.

any advice? Anyone towed a boat with a cab chassis ute ?

cheers

37 minutes ago, Volitan said:

Hi. I’m thinking of buying a boat. I’m probably looking at something in the 15 to 18ft category. Preferably something I can launch and retrieve on my own if need be.

My current concern is my only car is a Toyota Hilux Workmate - manual cab chassis ute (ie 2 seater with an aluminium tray on the back). Anyone who’s driven one of these unladen will know they slide about a fair bit at the back - especially in the wet. I have concerns about how they will get traction on a steep, wet boat ramp too. We live near the Pretty Beach (Central Coast) boat ramp and it would be ideal to use that but it does look a bit steep and a bit neglected.

I don’t currently want to sell the Ute or buy another car. I bought it when owner-building our home and it’s been great - it has a lot more work to do though with landscaping and building our garage still to be done.

cheers

Easiest way buy a couple of bags of sand to throw on the tray over the centreline of your rear axle if you’re worried.If it’s Auto take off in second gear to reduce torque/wheel spin.If manual use chocks  behind wheels and slowly ease out the clutch in first.Some times you can use second depending on gearing and weight of boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Volitan said:

cheers

Sorry mate, re-read your post.Disregard what I said about an Auto in your case.I have a dual cab hilux that will spin easy too if I’m not careful.My brother-in-law had a triton cab chassis manual Ive used to tow my boat only light at 550kg and his over 1300kg.With his boat both of us have used and use the chock behind the wheel method without issue.Tie a rope to chock and a loop in the other end that reaches the trailer coupling and drop it over it.

When you drive off the chock will follow you up the ramp.

I know the ramps around the Central Coast & some are very bad & neglected.

You are going to have problems with that ute.

One of my vehicles is a Hiace van &  it doesn't like boats or ramps.

You need a 4wd on most of the Central Coast ramps.

Good luck.

Ive had aluminium tray back 4x4 Utes for years and don't experience any sliding about on the ramp or on roads. Yes if I was to drive hard in wet conditions I could loose traction but this could be done in any vehicle almost. I don't remember any occasion where I have needed to engage 4x4 on a ramp either. Most ramps are council owned and regularly pressure washed on low tides periodically.

We used to tow a 7.50 Northbank in the wet when we headed from NSW to Vic chasing broadbill. Tow vehicle was a Ford ranger, same as a bt50 Mazda.

Most people drive to the conditions.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

I have never had a problem pulling my 1.3T boat up ramps with 2wd (various Ford Falcons), except for one time when there was a lot of sand on the ramp - and that only gave us slight trouble. 

I looked up the spec on the Hilux and it is rated to 2500 kg towing. Seems rather underpowered though with just 120kw, at least for the upper end of the boat sizes you mentioned. 

Edited by slowjigger

I owned a 4X4 V6 4l Hiux until fairly recently, and I can assure you, any thought of a quick takeoff during wet weather would see you sideways real quick, just like a tiny bit too much right foot on corners! ! I also had to use 4 wheel drive regularly towing my 4.2 tinny at low tide using Lake Illawarra ramps, covered in weed and slime.

Thanks for the replies guys. Obviously there are some conflicting views there. Rightly or wrongly, I tend to think conservatively and give greater weight to the negative views so now I’m thinking what if I limit myself to a fairly lightweight tinnie of 14 foot max. I could limit the motor size to maybe 30hp. Would those who advised against towing with the Hilux feel the same with that rig?

Or maybe a RIB. Wouldn’t those be lightweight?

Really, a smaller boat wouldn’t be a big compromise for me - I’m thinking first year or two of use will be largely in enclosed waterways regardless of what I buy. I doubt I’ll be doing much distance towing either - maybe a trip or two to Port Stephens when the longtails are in the bay. If at the end of that period I feel the need for something bigger then I can choose between upgrading boat and car or getting a boat on a mooring.

Getting a mooring appeals but it’s another thing I don’t know much about so I’ll start a separate thread on that.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Volitan said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Obviously there are some conflicting views there. Rightly or wrongly, I tend to think conservatively and give greater weight to the negative views so now I’m thinking what if I limit myself to a fairly lightweight tinnie of 14 foot max. I could limit the motor size to maybe 30hp. Would those who advised against towing with the Hilux feel the same with that rig?

Or maybe a RIB. Wouldn’t those be lightweight?

Really, a smaller boat wouldn’t be a big compromise for me - I’m thinking first year or two of use will be largely in enclosed waterways regardless of what I buy. I doubt I’ll be doing much distance towing either - maybe a trip or two to Port Stephens when the longtails are in the bay. If at the end of that period I feel the need for something bigger then I can choose between upgrading boat and car or getting a boat on a mooring.

Getting a mooring appeals but it’s another thing I don’t know much about so I’ll start a separate thread on that.

Cheers

That hilux will tow the boat you want mate as long as you add weight over the back wheels,have good tread on your tyres ,use the chock and know how to take off gently in a manual.I have a  4m+ tinny with the 30 mate and your hilux will do it like it’s not even there.With my hilux towing my boat out of the ramp it’s 2wd, first gear(manual) ,let out the clutch and don’t even need to accelerate.

I tow mine 99% of the time with my Kia cerato 6sp manual sometimes 2 hrs away up/down hills again like it’s not even there and never even spun a wheel at any ramp I use.

its 2nd gear and away i go.

Have a look around and you’ll be surprised what people are towing and what with as long as you’re sensible.

Probably worth putting air lockers on though its a large investment it's well worth it. Even just the rear locker makes a lot of difference. Issue will be the maintenance of them, especially keeping up with making sure they're sealed. 

My mates ute and my LandCruiser (both twin locked) are basically equal in ability.  Id recommend just sticking to the main brands, it's not worth buying the cheap online ones. 

The issue is simply traction, nothing more, nothing less, some ramps are perfectly OK, even at low tide, some are slippery even in four wheel drive, a light (in the rear) two wheel drive Ute will simply not get traction (just spin the wheels) if the ramp is slimy, doesn't matter how you apply the clutch/revs, been there, seen it, done it many times. Actually towing the boat is not a problem, it's taking off, from a dead stop, uphill on slime/moss/green weed, even walking on some ramps will see you tits up before you know it.

• Like 1

Iv always thought about it incase i do lose traction on ramp. But im fortunate to have an awd car. So cant really speak about @Volitan’s concern.

I’v never had any first hand experience with a tray back hilux. But i have mates with all sorts of hiluxes from n70s to n80s with different rear setups ranging from aluminium tray. Body tub with and without fibreglass canopies that retrieve their boats with no issues. Even the mate with an aluminium tray retrieves his 5m fibreglass boat with no issues.

@Volitanyou’ll be alright. Just dont overthink it.

• Like 1

Some of you do not live on the Central Coast. The ramps are C#AP.

We have a council that is not interested in boats or fishing.

The only ramp that has been upgraded in recent years is at Norah Head & the NSW Government paid.

Cheers.

thats a shame rebel can anyone up there get some pics of these ramps .so we can use people power to get them fixed using the better boating program. because its not right as you guys pay the same fees as all of us .is there any local fishing clubs up there as it helps push the point  cheers dunc333

8 hours ago, noelm said:

The issue is simply traction, nothing more, nothing less, some ramps are perfectly OK, even at low tide, some are slippery even in four wheel drive, a light (in the rear) two wheel drive Ute will simply not get traction (just spin the wheels) if the ramp is slimy, doesn't matter how you apply the clutch/revs, been there, seen it, done it many times. Actually towing the boat is not a problem, it's taking off, from a dead stop, uphill on slime/moss/green weed, even walking on some ramps will see you tits up before you know it.

Some of the river ramps I use are a bit slimy at low tide. Never had a problem other than a bit of wheel spin. The slime is very thin, and the wheels will get traction, ie the wheelspin will remove it.