Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out into Bate Bay this morning, just as first light was shining in the sky.

I tried a few spots around the mouth of the Hacking, but only the 1 small squid. Next moved out to near the bombie, and there were large schools of pillies attacking tiny baitfish, so I threw a lure in and under and beside the schools. The only hookup was a slimie mack, and dropped 2 more. One other hit on the lure, felt like a tailor but no hookup.

Moved around and further out for the flatties. Mostly spikies biting as there was very little drift, so not covering much ground at all. The blue spots were scattered, so packed it in and was back at base by 8 o'clock. No birds observed diving, and no surface activity apart from the pillies.

fish.jpeg.371_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Headed out into Bate Bay this morning, just as first light was shining in the sky.

I tried a few spots around the mouth of the Hacking, but only the 1 small squid. Next moved out to near the bombie, and there were large schools of pillies attacking tiny baitfish, so I threw a lure in and under and beside the schools. The only hookup was a slimie mack, and dropped 2 more. One other hit on the lure, felt like a tailor but no hookup.

Moved around and further out for the flatties. Mostly spikies biting as there was very little drift, so not covering much ground at all. The blue spots were scattered, so packed it in and was back at base by 8 o'clock. No birds observed diving, and no surface activity apart from the pillies.

Nice Catch Yowie!
I found the same thing with the Flatties - smaller ones around at the moment & full of milt.

Great to finally see someone catch a squid! Hopefully more start to venture in.

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

Back at base by 8am? I’m just getting out of bed to go out at that time.Brave boy going out on a weekend.Good result never the less mate.

8 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Managed a feed, well done. How is inside the hacking at the moment?

Have not tried up river for a week or two, but should be firing up shortly.

7 hours ago, Squidless said:

Always manage get a feed. Finally a squid in the hacking!

Not a big one, but better than none.

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

Nice haul of Flatties.

Well done.

Thank you, a couple of feeds in that lot.

4 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice Catch Yowie!
I found the same thing with the Flatties - smaller ones around at the moment & full of milt.

Great to finally see someone catch a squid! Hopefully more start to venture in.

The size of the flatties was just average, however, they tasted just nice tonight, and more fillets in a couple of nights. Most of mine were females.

One squid is a start.

All those pillies but nothing getting in to them. Would have thought the dolphins would be having a feed. I'm guessing about 80 feet of water under the schools, maybe a reddie under them. Nothing obvious scaring the pillies, although maybe a tailor or 2 underneath picking off a feed.

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Back at base by 8am? I’m just getting out of bed to go out at that time.Brave boy going out on a weekend.Good result never the less mate.

Go hard and go early for a weekend. 😂 Happy with the feed.

3 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice Fillets Yowie

Lots of trailers parked in the street this morning....tomorrow will be busy too....good you got out early:)

Thank you. Plenty of boats about, heading in all directions. A few motored out of Botany Bay, then roared south, maybe heading for the Belambi area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1