Yakhunters Movember/Xmas fishing event at Woy Woy- Brisbane waters

Bennyg78

Hi all,

I thought I'd post up a little report on my recent outing in a Yakhunters event at Woy Woy where we were spotted by @XD351 at the boat ramp at Woy Woy.

Yakhunters is a community based group that helps support and develop people interested in Yak fishing. They then have state groups that run a series of events for its members at a very cheap rate.

These events are great practice for the more serious events like the hobie rounds.and also an opportunity to talk alot of crapola.

This event was a fundraiser for Movember and a pre Xmas event (Santa costumes mandatory), it was a teams event where you were paired up with another random yak fisho for the day (great way to meet people).

The rules were simple, leave at 7 am and be back by 12pm. Biggest Flathead and biggest Bream were the prizes on offer and all fish catch photo and release.

I was lucky enough to be partnered up with an experienced angler from Lake Macquarie, his biggest disadvantage was he had no idea about the area. Luckily I have fished a few parts of Brisbane Waters land based so I had some ideas to plan our fishing.

With everyone launching at close to high tide I wanted to see where people would go for their first spot. A large contingent went to the dilapidated oyster racks  and tried working them for bream with no success, we went past them and headed to the mangroves around Saratoga en-route to paddy's channel.

I put on a double clutch 48 and begin working it from the mangrove edges, intentions were to try and get any bream in the mangroves. On second cast got a solid hit and a decent run and fight, I thought it was a big bream at first (wishful thinking) but turned out to be a 35 cm tailor. My team mate was flicking grubs along the edge, as he was targeting flatties already with some success. The tailor must have been running hot through as I sighted them shooting through the edges along with some huge rays

When we arrived at Paddy's channel we hit a hot streak with targeting flatties. We were both using plastics. Me on the daiwa bait junkie minnow 3.2 inch and my teammate on the grubs till. I pulled in 3 with the biggest being 35 cm, my team mate lost what would have been a huge fish but still managed to pull in a 60 cm model.

We then decided to drift through lintern channel with not much success until we got to the end of it both of us reeling in two more flatties, but none above the 60 cm mark. By then we decided to head back to Woy Woy va the St. Huberts Island narrows with Tailor snipping us off on our plastics.

Back to the boat ramp for a group lunch and presentation. We were lucky to win biggest flattie on the day. It was also great to hear where other people caught their fish, in particular the Bream catches (give me a few ideas for future bream comps up there)

In summary, it was a fun day out and if you have a yak and want to try a competition have a look at yakhunters.

flattiewoy.jpg

tailorwoy.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1