A few whiting from the Hacking

jenno64

Headed out yesterday morning for a session in the Hacking. Weather forecast was pretty kind and I was on the water for the bottom of the ebb tide. Pumped some nipper and fished the flats further upstream away from the brown snot weed at Maianbar. Very quiet on the water traffic-wise and my son joined me later in the morning so we collected some poddies and tried trolling livies around and had another go on the flats with some more nippers collected from Maianbar. Lost livies to big tailor (courtesy of the arc like bite behind the head. Also lost something significant up on the flats that woke up close to the boat and got the tail working with a brisk bust of on 6lb gear. Ended up with three nice whiting in the high 30s and a small flatty that was the first fish of the day. A few fillets after a fair few hours on the water and overall a pleasant day out!

whiting november 15 2022.jpg

• Like 14

Nice whiting there Rob, look like they are around the pound mark.

Still a few salmon about, some cruising the shallows. Saw a couple last time out at Maianbar flats, in very shallow water. I also pulled out a couple of trevally several weeks back, the biggest in the mid 50's, also in shallow water.

Edited by Yowie

On 11/16/2022 at 9:21 AM, Little_Flatty said:

Some nice fish there @jenno64! Like Yowie, you always seem to manage a feed.

Sounds like a nice day on the water.

Thanks, it was pretty pleasant out there and nice to have my son on board to get into them!

On 11/16/2022 at 11:32 AM, Squidless said:

sounds like you had a great time and some reward for your efforts.

I also managed to make it out yesterday morning, I was anchored around lilli pilli and the tailor were cruising around there too, landed one in the low 40s.

Yep they like snipping livies in half!

On 11/16/2022 at 12:03 PM, The Rev said:

Some great fish there - particularly nice whiting!  a great feed.

Thanks, enjoyed with a nice curry!

On 11/16/2022 at 12:10 PM, Rebel said:

Top report.

Can't beat whiting.

Well done.

Cheers Rebel

On 11/16/2022 at 5:43 PM, Isaac Ct said:

Great bag mate, lovely feed of fish.

Hopefully a few like that will come my way this weekend, hoping to get out. Still planning where to go.

Weekend is looking good weather wise but the boat traffic will be up!

On 11/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, Yowie said:

Nice whiting there Rob, look like they are around the pound mark.

Still a few salmon about, some cruising the shallows. Saw a couple last time out at Maianbar flats, in very shallow water. I also pulled out a couple of trevally several weeks back, the biggest in the mid 50's, also in shallow water.

Thanks Dave, it's nice to get some size in lieu of numbers and it's fun watching whatever is cruising the flats, not much chance on 6lb leader though:)

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

Nice whiting Rob, (disappointing / exciting to lose a big fish, but fishing that light, it’s hard to do battle with confidence, keeps you coming back).

Thanks Bob, you are right...every time you get smoked, you come back for more!