Bate Bay & Flatty drift

Larkin

Gday Raiders 

headed out today with a friend from a JetSki fishing group  - he’s new to JetSki fishing, so I was showing him how to drift for flathead and how to use soft plastics in deep water.

We fished around Jibbon and northern Bate Bay. I caught quite a few slimie mackerel (on plastics) with a few over 35cm.

Also caught a 38cm tailor, a 70cm baracoota & then a bunch of flathead while drifting south of jibbon - The sizes currently out there are much better than previous weeks - most between 45-50cm.

He caught 2 X salmon, and got busted off by a king boat side - trolling skirts.

He’s Ukrainian/Russian - at the end of the day I offered him some of my flathead as he only managed to catch one. Rejected the offer, but politely asked for the mackerel, lol - just goes to show what a lot of us consider bait others consider top eating. He was very happy when I gave him the majority of them - and said next time we’ve got to get more of these. He refrigerates them in a salt and sugar brine overnight, then dries them into some sort of fish jerky - said they come up delicious.

14BFC468-A758-47AD-9005-0441B184A8DD.thumb.jpeg.98a05847cc22fafd533cae51afd58fd6.jpeg

D8C84549-4D2C-42A1-AEAA-7622F65676C2.thumb.jpeg.c08f45d33fdcac408d8027671e022569.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Gday Raiders 

headed out today with a friend from a JetSki fishing group  - he’s new to JetSki fishing, so I was showing him how to drift for flathead and how to use soft plastics in deep water.

We fished around Jibbon and northern Bate Bay. I caught quite a few slimie mackerel (on plastics) with a few over 35cm.

Also caught a 38cm tailor, a 70cm baracoota & then a bunch of flathead while drifting south of jibbon - The sizes currently out there are much better than previous weeks - most between 45-50cm.

He caught 2 X salmon, and got busted off by a king boat side - trolling skirts.

He’s Ukrainian/Russian - at the end of the day I offered him some of my flathead as he only managed to catch one. Rejected the offer, but politely asked for the mackerel, lol - just goes to show what a lot of us consider bait others consider top eating. He was very happy when I gave him the majority of them - and said next time we’ve got to get more of these. He refrigerates them in a salt and sugar brine overnight, then dries them into some sort of fish jerky - said they come up delicious.

14BFC468-A758-47AD-9005-0441B184A8DD.thumb.jpeg.98a05847cc22fafd533cae51afd58fd6.jpeg

D8C84549-4D2C-42A1-AEAA-7622F65676C2.thumb.jpeg.c08f45d33fdcac408d8027671e022569.jpeg

Excellent result mate.I have learnt people have a different idea of “delicious “ than mine more often than not.I’ll try pretty much anything once except Oysters,mussels and a few other things.

• Like 1

Nice bag of fish. As for the barry couta, you can have it. Tried smoking a fillet once, edible, bony but not a favourite taste wise.

I have also eaten slimy fillets. Bleed the fish, fillet, remove bones, crumb and pan fry. A fairly strong taste, similar to the herring from the south of the country which is very popular with southeners.

• Like 1

A nice bag of fish Chris - well done on the Flatties and unfortunate for you mate with the Kingie. If the slimies are bled when caught, I quite like them BBQ’d, if kept in the fridge for a day to firm up. (Not sure I’d be bleeding them on a jet ski though - been hooking a lot of sharks lately offshore and some quite big hammerheads)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Excellent result mate.I have learnt people have a different idea of “delicious “ than mine more often than not.I’ll try pretty much anything once except Oysters,mussels and a few other things.

Thanks Fab, not a fan of mussels myself, but do enjoy oysters - cooked and natural.
He just text me the recipe, so if you see it gracing the pages of the “kitchen” on fishraider in the coming weeks, it was ok to share.😂

15 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Nice bag of fish as usual. Those pick-handles (couta ) aren't bad bait- they just smell a bit. Good feed of Flatties and personally, like fresh Tailor on the bbq

thanks Waza! flatties were of a better size this week.

I too enjoy taylor on the barbie - one of those fish I tend to cook whole 90% of the time.

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice bag of fish. As for the barry couta, you can have it. Tried smoking a fillet once, edible, bony but not a favourite taste wise.

I have also eaten slimy fillets. Bleed the fish, fillet, remove bones, crumb and pan fry. A fairly strong taste, similar to the herring from the south of the country which is very popular with southeners.

Haha, I haven’t tried it yet - this one went back in the drink!

might give it a go - but heard about worms in these? Don’t think it would affect if cooked anyway.

The slimies I do try every now and then.

8 hours ago, Pickles said:

A nice bag of fish Chris - well done on the Flatties and unfortunate for you mate with the Kingie. If the slimies are bled when caught, I quite like them BBQ’d, if kept in the fridge for a day to firm up. (Not sure I’d be bleeding them on a jet ski though - been hooking a lot of sharks lately offshore and some quite big hammerheads)

Thanks bob, I’m always a little wary when bleeding over the side - thanks for update 👍

Lost the kingy when the line hit a rough spot on the side of his ski - he’s been getting a few trolling skirts along the headlands lately.

8 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done again Larkin, nice bag of fish as well.

Keep going.

Thanks Isaac - bit of intel - not sure if true or not but was speaking to a few guys at the ramp who were talking kings being in Gymea bay.

7 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

A great selection of fish!

thanks Bessel,

bit of a mix this time.

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top haul Mate.

Great photos.

Well done.

thanks Rebel!

no giving them away to neighbours for this lot! half went to my parents. When I heard they had bought frozen fish from the shops, I had to put an end to it. 😂 

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1