Tips / discussion - Aussie salmon eating quality

FrigateMack

I think people may be missing out when dismissing the Aussie salmon. I find that if they are bled and chilled immediately after being caught, the results can be pretty good. Also, I find that their quality varies. Some of the 80cm+ donkeys that sometimes turn up later in the year are not great. The smaller specimens can be quite nice. I also remember not having any issues with salmon caught in Port Phillip Bay, when I lived in Melbourne. So the place they are caught might also play a role.

Anyway - here's what I do with them.

1) Clean and fillet. If logistics/timing allows, keep the fillets uncovered at the bottom of a very cold fridge for a few hours or overnight.

2) I make stock from the frames and the wings. See photo. I cook them with misc stock veggies, salt and some herbs (a bit of thyme is great), on slow fire, for a few hours.

3) I steam the fillets. Other ways of cooking the fillets make salmon too dry. Photo on steaming setup below. They only need 15 minutes or something like that. Add a bit of salt, pepper and lemon juice at the end.

4) One way to finish the project is to combine the stock, the steamed fillets, some noodles and other bits and pieces as per the 3rd photo bellow. Not bad!

Thoughts?

IMG_5739_.png

IMG_5740_.png

IMG_5743_.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Bleed immediately, chill,skin.

Coat in tandaco fish seasoning then dry bake over coals or in kettle bbq.  Do not over cook.

I had a restaurant owner/cook tell me it wasnt salmon.... it was far to mild.

Its the skinning that is the trick

• Like 2

I quite like the flavor of salmon, possibly because they were a staple part of my family’s diet while growing up.

Like others I bleed the fish immediately upon capture by cutting the throat latch and cracking their necks, plus a couple of cuts either side of the fish just above the tail helps the blood flow. Stick them head down in a bucket of cold water to let gravity do it’s work, then gut them as soon as they’ve bled out and chilled ASAP.

Sure there’s nicer tasting fish in the sea, but I’d rather eat a well prepared salmon than sausages any day of the week.

• Like 6

Salmon are fine if eaten fresh, a few days old they get very strong flavoured, but, filleted, skinned and all the blood meat cut away, they are fine, we had some for Dinner last night. Most people don't like them because the flesh is not real white when cooked, or the fish has been sitting uncleaned for a while, or is a few days old. Looked after when caught and prepared well, rolled in some flour, or cut into fish cocktails and crumbed, a few chips and some salad, yessir......

• Like 4

Each time i go home and fish with my brother we are throwing these things back all day long in the hunt for gurnard and snapper.

However, we will keep a couple occasionally and put them on the smoker. Use manuka chips and brown sugar.....absolutely delicious

• Like 1

Hi @FrigateMack

I'm one of the people that loves fishing but won't eat fish. I'm highly unlikely to change that at this stage of my life either. 

Having said that, I appreciate an excellent article and I really like how you have presented the topic including photos

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Derek

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 2:35 PM, DerekD said:

Hi @FrigateMack

I'm one of the people that loves fishing but won't eat fish. I'm highly unlikely to change that at this stage of my life either. 

Having said that, I appreciate an excellent article and I really like how you have presented the topic including photos

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Derek

You know what they say Derek in the industry?

They say if you don't like eating something, you probably haven't eaten it in a way that you enjoy ;)

In saying that, I believe you though :D