Lure fishing 102 - Nov 10th

BabySnapperKiller

This is a delayed report as I was fully occupied by the work and family. 

Big shout out to @DerekDfor his kindness and efforts to go through all the details about lure fishing. This is the second session I had with him and he has shown me all the basics needed. 

Details

Arrived at around 7am in the morning near the bridge.

image.thumb.jpeg.84d9d36411c9c91796e139d0821014bc.jpeg

Using the new outfit I got as recommended, start with soft plastics, learn from different jig heads and plastics.

After putting the lure on, Derek start demonstrating how to play with this lure, and on his second cast, he got a bite! As part of the session, Derek gave me the rod and wants me to feel and retrieve properly, and I was too dumb and lost the fish :(

"Don't worry if the fish is off the hook, they are probably still out there", said Derek. 

And he casted again, and get hooked, and he pulled it up. Such a decent size flattie!

image.thumb.jpeg.fe762a624f37010b14b466a8fa8824b8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0b6986d9a2271a88c95b2627520e0291.jpeg

Next, Derek shows me the heavier gear, and how to play with each different lure: squid jigs, suganpen, metals, GT needle, stickbait, .etc

Such a great experience! Apologise that I cannot commit for a full day, and the pie is really tasty!

Really appreciate everything from Derek!

PS: My first lure fish is a baby snapper

image.jpeg.b0621b1215998755cf826502d3bb0d01.jpeg

• Like 17

Hi @Mr.Wang,

That was an awesome report. I really enjoyed the fishing session with you and seeing the growth in your technique and confidence. It was a shame Ryan was unable to join us but hopefully you can guide him using what you have learned so far.

Losing the flathead wasn't necessarily you as we don't know how lightly it was hooked up. The good thing with them is I've known them to go for a lure again even after the first missed hook up. I was pretty confident we'd get a second chance at it.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your reports as you get out there more often.

Regards,

Derek

PS. Thanks for treating me to a lovely lunch.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Great report and photos.

Honestly Derek deserves a Raider of the Year badge or something similar I reckon @mrsswordfisherman. I’ve never seen anyone so keen and generous to donate their time to helping other fishers.

Thanks for that Pete.

Normally I mentor 3-5 people each year. This year I think has been about 15 give or take. Considering a session is usually 5 to 8 hours at a minimum to cover the basics and some people have had two or more sessions with me it certainly adds up over time. On a positive, as I usually stay in regular contact with at least half the people I help my circle of fishing friends has grown.

PS. Even if there was a badge like that there are several other people that come straight to mind that would also be deserving of that honour.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Great report and photos.

Honestly Derek deserves a Raider of the Year badge or something similar I reckon @mrsswordfisherman. I’ve never seen anyone so keen and generous to donate their time to helping other fishers.

I'd second that proposal if there were such an award...maybe MENTOR IN CHIEF. He does put a lot of time in to mentoring, but really enjoys it.

bn

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Great report and photos.

I totally agree with you GH - a great human really. 

@DerekD and @big Neil please pm me with your ideas and thoughts on this

Any other member pm me also. Ideas for the name of this award would be welcomed 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pickles said:

How about a once a year award this being the first “The Derek” to the most helpful, raider.

That has merit.

We could have a poll - members could nominate a person and we can have a vote perhaps? We could make this monthly even. A short list of criteria that would need to be met. 

We used to have a fish/catch of the month and members voted for best fishing report and catch. 

I have been flat out and not able to put thought into this.

• Like 5

On 12/22/2022 at 4:04 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

That has merit.

We could have a poll - members could nominate a person and we can have a vote perhaps? We could make this monthly even. A short list of criteria that would need to be met. 

We used to have a fish/catch of the month and members voted for best fishing report and catch. 

I have been flat out and not able to put thought into this.

I don't think there is TOO MUCH urgency with this Donna. Your input is essential in coming up with what's best for the site and members. Enjoy your Christmas / New Year  first.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1