Wild Weekend Coming Up This Weekend.

Well guess who decided to duck up to Swansea for a couple of days to test out some new camping gear and to rid  the lake and beach of some of those pesky fish - so far i have set up the swag , the cabana and hooked up everything  to the battery pack I made and am now hiding in the car from this god awful freezing southerly trying to work out how I will keep the gas cooker alight long enough to cook dinner 😂

Oh well at least I know my new rig will be ok in high winds and it still beats sitting at home and all I can do is hope for a lull in the morning - at least there is cold beer in the esky 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

It was freezing on the Coast this morning, then came the rain.

Is this summer ?

Yep, really cold and windy down south here as well. 
I’ve just discovered a new fishing spot worth a try that faces south, so naturally the wind will blow straight into my face ‘till Christmas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I dropped the boat off the car and went into town to do some shopping , it was raining when I did this and within half an hour the rain stopped , the wind dropped and the sun came out . I began to think I might get an arvo fish in so when I got back to my campsite I hooked up the boat and within  minutes the wind began to howl and the skies went dark - I swear this boat is cursed 😂.

Right now the sun is out but blowing around 20-30 kph and it is the same cold wind I had last night . Had a look at blacksmiths beach and barring the wind the south end would be fishable but the northern 2/3 you would be fishing from the dunes .

I had originally planned to go to a campsite near Marlow on the Hawkesbury river , at least I could anchor up against a southern shore to get out of the wind but there is little chance in Lake Macquarie, maybe the north side of pulbar or at wangee but I would have a very wet and bumpy ride across the lake to get there - been there before and I won’t be doing that again ! 

B650BCC4-90CB-484B-80D5-4CD6A292EE1E.thumb.jpeg.dfcf220d1aad53308f6f0902039b1691.jpeg

Thought I would add i pic of the campsite , must say I am impressed with this place ! Good sized sites , immaculate ammenities and the boat ramp is literally across the road from the front gate and you have an access gate to the lake where you could spend the best part of a day wading or kayaking the sand flats tossing lures for lizards , bream or even whiting . Being a gated camp ground it looks like they manage to keep the riff raff out ( with the exception of myself ) .

Anyone know a good exorcist, witch doctor or shaman? My boat could sure use one 😂😂😂😂

Edited by XD351
To add photo
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

Anyone know a good exorcist, witch doctor or shaman? My boat could sure use one 😂😂😂😂

All you need to do is say that you’re going to do ALL of your Christmas shopping and ALL of your chores in one go first thing tomorrow morning, then the skies will clear 😎

Nice camp setup, it’s amazing what you can do when your tent isn’t as large or you have a swag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

All you need to do is say that you’re going to do ALL of your Christmas shopping and ALL of your chores in one go first thing tomorrow morning, then the skies will clear 😎

Nice camp setup, it’s amazing what you can do when your tent isn’t as large or you have a swag.

Doesn't work - did that before I came here ! 
I used to have a big dome tent - great tent but you needed a degree in engineering and half a day to erect  it ! I have an older swag (Downunder)and it is great for a one nighter  if the weather is good . 
These days I like fast and easy - that whole set up took me 20 min to set up and uses only 12 pegs . I probably spent most of that time stuffing around with the cabana coz it really takes two people to put one up fast .

• Like 2

Seems like the predicted weather might be a bit of a fizzer, wind has dropped off, swell is pretty "normal" Little to no rain.......but, it's still damn chilly.

edit....false alarm, the wind is back, and swell seems to be coming up again with the tide, so take care.

second edit.......and it's raining now too!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, noelm said:

edit....false alarm, the wind is back, and swell seems to be coming up again with the tide

Mongrel weather. Wednesday may be a day to head outside.

I bought another kilo of fresh Hawkesbury bait prawns. If I cannot use them as bait, I will eat them instead. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m copping some horizontal drizzle - looks like I’m hunkering down in the car for a while 😭

The last time I had weather like this on a camping trip was at Stockton beach - A southerly blew ,very light drizzle fell  - just enough to wet everything then the wind dried the sand out and blew that all over the now wet camp and it ended up looking like it had been crumbed , it blew so hard it drove  sand through the zippers on my old swag and all over me - that was not pleasant. That was one of the two worst camping trips I have ever had - oddly enough the other was also at Stockton and that storm destroyed the tent in the middle of the night so it was a wet sleep in the 4x4 until the sun came up and we were out of there !

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, XD351 said:

it blew so hard it drove  sand through the zippers on my old swag and all over me - that was not pleasant

Had that happen once when I took the family to Dalhousie Springs, northern S.A.

I had a good quality tent, 1 minute setup, stand up inside, 10 x 10 foot that slept the 4 of us. During the night, a howling southerly blew up. The tent did not falter, however, the sand blew through the velcro on the window (it was a howler of a wind) so I moved the landcruiser in front to stop the sand ingress. It was a bit gritty during the night in the tent. 🤣

2 German backpackers (young women not used to Aussie conditions) were sleeping in cheap tent and the wind blew the tent over and over, like being inside a washing machine they said. The girls managed to escape out the door just before the tent, and contents, ended up rolling into the water in the springs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stop whinging about how cold it is.@Yowieknows I’m always warm in bed and only get out in appropriate weather to catch his fish.

I must admit my arms have had a rest lately not having to haul all those massive fish over the side of the boat.

My names billy not silly.😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Stop whinging about how cold it is.@Yowieknows I’m always warm in bed and only get out in appropriate weather to catch his fish.

I must admit my arms have had a rest lately not having to haul all those massive fish over the side of the boat.

My names billy not silly.😂😂

Heard nothing from you for a while. Thought you must be in hibernation due to the cold weather. 🤣

• Haha 3

Currently the wind has died off to just strong......swell, kind of big..ish, might have a go for some Bream across the road at high tide, was thinking of a fly fish, with this wind at my back, even I might cast a bit of distance!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Heard nothing from you for a while. Thought you must be in hibernation due to the cold weather. 🤣

I’ve been getting intelligence on you.Had my spies out.Oh, that reminds me…I should be out bright and early on Thursday around 11:30am and if you have managed to get out of bed this early and see me about come on over and say hello and I’ll put 300kg or lead in your boat.A good place would be around lilli pilli as I have a depth sounder and know it’s deep there.

I don’t want the bow of your boat sticking out the water causing a accident to another boater.😂

• Haha 2